To the people comparing the Call of Duty and the Mario franchises.

#21COlimar788Posted 2/19/2013 7:51:16 AM
Mario may be an icon, but that doesn't change the fact that his last five or six games have been lackluster and phoned-in.
---
There will never be a game as horribly disappointing as Other M
3DS Friend Code: 2234-7169-9510
#22Traptin3daysPosted 2/19/2013 7:55:26 AM
SmoshCuch posted...
Traptin3days posted...
If it wasn't for the original Mario game though, the NES would have failed.

What are you basing that on? Like I said, Mario definitely contributed to the success of NES, but without time travel, we can't know how NES would have sold without it. There were absolutely other good games that helped sell the system.

If you have some data that Mario was the only high-selling game for a long time after launch, there's an argument to be made that the NES wouldn't have lasted long enough to see the release of other great games. I don't claim to have data on this one way or the other.

From what I've heard, the Mario game made more people buy Nintendo's products. Making them interested. But that other popular games were created afterwards secured the success.
---
Now let's sacrifice some chickens! :D
#23sanas_thirituPosted 2/19/2013 8:07:24 AM
Mario might have had his golden age but nintendo better stop putting mario into everything.
Gamers want graphics and the sooner nintendo understand that and bury this ip, the better it us for them. Whats next now - mario sim city?
---
The purpose of my life is to play games. Its the reason I even work.
#24SychinLegacyPosted 2/19/2013 8:09:19 AM
The people who think Mario is comparable to Call of Duty are either trolls or don't know what they are talking about. The argument that "MARIO HAS SO MANY SPINOFFS THEREFORE FRANCHISE IS MILKED" is a terrible one. It's like saying gravy and cake are comparable foods because they both use flour to make. Or a wrench and a car are comparable because they both have steel parts.
#25SmoshCuchPosted 2/19/2013 8:09:41 AM
Traptin3days posted...
From what I've heard, the Mario game made more people buy Nintendo's products. Making them interested. But that other popular games were created afterwards secured the success.

I agree that Mario was the strongest launch title, and it is possible that the NES could have had a much harder time or even failed without it.

But the original claim that I was addressing was "you wouldn't even be playing games had it not been for Mario". This is a huge stretch. Atari and other systems had already proven that there was an audience for video games. Even if Nintendo had failed, someone else would have stepped up and filled the gap.