Nintendo is kind of like the Apple of the VG world

#1iKhanicPosted 2/19/2013 9:57:09 AM(edited)
Now before you go and say that you've heard this before just hear my argument out.

Pretty much as long as Steve Jobs has been at Apple (and thereafter), Apple's products have not actually been the original. You know the iPad? Well Apple stole the concept from the JooJoo. You know that nice GUI that your computer OS uses? Well Apple noticed Xerox was sitting on gold with that concept and bought it from them. What Apple does is they take poorly executed concepts and makes them massively popular to the public.

Modern Nintendo sort of does the same thing. When Sony came out with the EyeToy, it didn't really make a big splash. But then Nintendo made the concept of motion controls much more mainstream using a combination of brilliant game design, marketing, and integrating it into the console. Same thing with the Gamepad, which borrows ideas from the VMU and the PSVita. But what the public hears about is the Wii U and the Gamepad, not the features of the PSVita.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something. This is probably Nintendo's best niche, because unlike Sony and Microsoft, they aren't a giant tech conglomerate that owns a ton of patents spanning various industries. Sony co-invented Blu-ray, and they already develop camera technology, so adding Blue-ray to a console, or making the EyeToy, isn't as much of a hassle for them.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#2KroganBallEaterPosted 2/19/2013 9:50:54 AM
That's what I've been saying.

a Wii is a PS2 dressed up like a Mac.
---
OMG Krogan!!!! That would hurt my precious little fanny!!!! LOL!!!!! - GamerGirlz after I told her to shove a stick of rhubarb up her fanny.
#3iKhanic(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 9:55:09 AM
KroganBallEater posted...
That's what I've been saying.

a Wii is a PS2 dressed up like a Mac.

That doesn't make Nintendo products bad though. Have you seen the review for the JooJoo? They are crap. Nintendo executes the concepts incredibly well, and in an industry where 3rd parties determine how useful your product is, execution and marketing is everything. If no one notices the innovations Sony has made, or they are difficult to develop for, or they are just expensive, they won't take off.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#4blunderminePosted 2/19/2013 9:58:31 AM
Kinect came from Eye toy. Nintendo's motion controls came from their light gun in the 80s.

And the Wii U came from the DS, which, last I checked, came out before the Vita.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#5icarus231Posted 2/19/2013 10:01:30 AM
iKhanic posted...
Now before you go and say that you've heard this before just hear my argument out.

Pretty much as long as Steve Jobs has been at Apple (and thereafter), Apple's products have not actually been the original. You know the iPad? Well Apple stole the concept from the JooJoo. You know that nice GUI that your computer OS uses? Well Apple noticed Xerox was sitting on gold with that concept and bought it from them. What Apple does is they take poorly executed concepts and makes them massively popular to the public.

Modern Nintendo sort of does the same thing. When Sony came out with the EyeToy, it didn't really make a big splash. But then Nintendo made the concept of motion controls much more mainstream using a combination of brilliant game design, marketing, and integrating it into the console. Same thing with the Gamepad, which borrows ideas from the VMU and the PSVita. But what the public hears about is the Wii U and the Gamepad, not the features of the PSVita.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

EDIT: I forgot to mention something. This is probably Nintendo's best niche, because unlike Sony and Microsoft, they aren't a giant tech conglomerate that owns a ton of patents spanning various industries. Sony co-invented Blu-ray, and they already develop camera technology, so adding Blue-ray to a console, or making the EyeToy, isn't as much of a hassle for them.

Your obsessed with the eyetoy. Just because no one liked your logic in the other thread you decide to start a new one. Nintendo does innovate sony is notorious for copying. Just recently they said we will let microsoft show their system off first. Why, so once again they can copy.

P.S Sony didnt even develop the eyetoy it was made by logitech and is just a repurposed logitech webcam.
#6the_cajun88Posted 2/19/2013 10:19:52 AM
Did he just say that the Wii U borrowed features from the Vita?
---
The University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i40.tinypic.com/10p3kmw.jpg
#7Dr_FacerPosted 2/19/2013 10:20:07 AM
Nintendo isn't hell bent on being a jerk who can control what their customers do or don't do with their products like Apple is.
#8the_cajun88Posted 2/19/2013 10:21:16 AM
Nintendo isn't hell bent on being a jerk who can control what their customers do or don't do with their products like Apple is.

How so?
---
The University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i40.tinypic.com/10p3kmw.jpg
#9P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/19/2013 10:23:41 AM
Oh, how wrong you are.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa, One Piece
#10sythe343Posted 2/19/2013 10:27:41 AM
Last i checked.

Cameras on games: Nintendo Did it first
Rumble feature on games: Nintendo
Dual Screens: Nintendo
Touch Screen Gaming: Nintendo
Motion Controls: Nintendo
Intergame Connections: Nintendo

Find something that Sony or MS did first. Please. Only thing that i can see is being copied right now is the Pro Controller, and i'm sure that's because the 360 controller got awards for most Ergonomic design.
---
Jumping feet first into hell isn't your job, making sure it's full when you get there is.
PSN: DedSythe XBL:Ser MeatShield