Buzzfeed: How the gaming press got the Wii U Wrong

#21darkjedilinkPosted 2/19/2013 4:55:33 PM
rafiiilla posted...
darkjedilink posted...
Any article that tries to basically say '57k, lolz' can't be taken seriously.

Nor can any poster who buys into said article.

We have a sith here...

Not everything is black or white, people may half-agree with you and not because of that they can't be taken seriously by anyone (maybe only by people who are square-minded)

So, you're saying that an article that intentionally misrepresents data to make something look bad is somehow unbiased?

Yes, the Wii U sold 57k in January. IN AMERICA ALONE. It was then compared to the PS3 and 360's worldwide numbers. As such, it cannot be taken seriously as a journalistic piece.

Troll fodder? Sure, but not journalism.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#22rafiiilla(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 4:59:41 PM
darkjedilink posted...
rafiiilla posted...
darkjedilink posted...

We have a sith here...

Not everything is black or white, people may half-agree with you and not because of that they can't be taken seriously by anyone (maybe only by people who are square-minded)

So, you're saying that an article that intentionally misrepresents data to make something look bad is somehow unbiased?

Yes, the Wii U sold 57k in January. IN AMERICA ALONE. It was then compared to the PS3 and 360's worldwide numbers. As such, it cannot be taken seriously as a journalistic piece.

Actually (as I stated on prev messages) I though of the marketing issue interesting (lack of proper advertising mostly)... I never said anything about how doomed the Wii U is for 57k on january.. funny because I actually believe the Wii U will do great (not just fine)
---
NNID: rafiiilla
#23IcecreamdunwichPosted 2/19/2013 5:02:22 PM
nintendo's advertisement hasn't been good lately

It's not a matter of good or bad, it's a matter of "where is it?"
#24darkjedilinkPosted 2/19/2013 5:06:28 PM
rafiiilla posted...
darkjedilink posted...
rafiiilla posted...
darkjedilink posted...

We have a sith here...

Actually (as I stated on prev messages) I though of the marketing issue interesting (lack of proper advertising mostly)... I never said anything about how doomed the Wii U is for 57k on january.. funny because I actually believe the Wii U will do great (not just fine)

Marketing can't be the issue when there's nothing to market.

Besides that, the whole article is based on the idea that the Wii U is a failure. This idea is supported by Wii U's US sales numbers being compared to the 360's worldwide numbers. As such, the whole article is bunk.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#25rafiiilla(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 5:19:45 PM
darkjedilink posted...
rafiiilla posted...
darkjedilink posted...
rafiiilla posted...
darkjedilink posted...

We have a sith here...

Marketing can't be the issue when there's nothing to market.

Besides that, the whole article is based on the idea that the Wii U is a failure. This idea is supported by Wii U's US sales numbers being compared to the 360's worldwide numbers. As such, the whole article is bunk.

Well, that's where we're different maybe. I don't think that for some details a whole article is discredited, plus, I think there is a lot stuff to advertise on the Wii U, I remember the TV ads of "Wii want to play"...

I thought I was going to see something like that for the Wii U, even if it was showing only Nintendoland, but (for me) they had to advertise THE USE of the gamepad by gameplay ads...

that was the whole point I saw the article nailed, the lack of information
---
NNID: rafiiilla
#26rudgerlightPosted 2/19/2013 5:24:40 PM
That article barely made any sense. Some of the facts and much of the analysis contradicted itself:

1) it stated there was only 1 exclusive game that launched with the Wii U when there were 3. Putting the word "major" in front of the word "exclusive" doesn't magically make Zombi U and Nintendoland disappear. If they were poorly reviewed that'd make at least a little sense, but they weren't.

2) several of the quoted reviews quite clearly state that the Wii U tech is great and that the games will be great, but that there aren't many on there. The Kotaku quote directly says that and then the writer makes it sound like they were all wrong in their assessments. How does this writer know that the games won't ever be great? This is baffling to read.

The only way I can understand this article is if he is trying to find out why no journalist was aware of the delays in advance. Then they would have "gotten something wrong."

As it is, he's just complaining that people liked the system at launch but that it didn't sell well. Therefore, according to this guy, they were wrong to like the system and recommend it to anybody. None of his quotes say that the system will sell well. The basic premise of this article makes no sense.
#27IcecreamdunwichPosted 2/19/2013 5:31:25 PM
Well, that's where we're different maybe. I don't think that for some details a whole article is discredited, plus, I think there is a lot stuff to advertise on the Wii U, I remember the TV ads of "Wii want to play"...

I thought I was going to see something like that for the Wii U, even if it was showing only Nintendoland, but (for me) they had to advertise THE USE of the gamepad by gameplay ads...

that was the whole point I saw the article nailed, the lack of information

Don't take ANYTHING darkjedilink says to heart, the guy has been proven wrong on so many counts it isn't even funny. Delve through the history of this board for some examples.
#28MegagunstarmanPosted 2/19/2013 5:31:59 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...

I'm pretty sure their lack of marketing is a cost cutting measure. I think it's a good move for now, but they really need to advertise the console next month when they release a few games for it.
---
I'm not changing this until a new Jet Set Radio is announced. Started 10/13/11
#29IcecreamdunwichPosted 2/19/2013 5:32:37 PM

I'm pretty sure their lack of marketing is a cost cutting measure. I think it's a good move for now, but they really need to advertise the console next month when they release a few games for it.

They fired the team they had for NA advertising, lol.
#30mini_blightPosted 2/19/2013 5:37:56 PM

Don't take ANYTHING darkjedilink says to heart, the guy has been proven wrong on so many counts it isn't even funny. Delve through the history of this board for some examples.

That's not how you spell your name here.