Rumor: The Wii U may be the only home console with free online this gen

#51Tw1L1ghtSpaklePosted 2/19/2013 8:44:53 PM
Nintendo wins again.
#52LHS_2012(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 9:02:36 PM
Now that I thought about it, it's possible that this rumor was planted to make the actual announcement seem better. No one would be raving over a $400-$450 price tag and (mostly) free online if they weren't expecting a $430-$530 price tag and (mostly) paid online.

Just a thought, we'll know for sure if this is true or not in a matter of hours.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_N_WTiMga4
#53rpglover13Posted 2/19/2013 9:05:57 PM
LHS_2012 posted...
Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.

Also has pricing information ($429 and $529) and a projected November release date.

http://kotaku.com/5985356/source-the-ps4-will-be-out-this-november-and-youll-be-able-to-control-it-with-your-phone

I get that it says this new service, PlayStation World will replace PlayStation Plus, but it isn't PLUS that gives the online, it's PSN(PlayStation Network). I highly doubt Sony will totally get rid of the free PSN, it's one of their biggest selling features over XBOX. I could see them having a premium upgraded version of PSN as an option though.
#54ferval100Posted 2/19/2013 9:40:12 PM
Nonsense. PS3 has free online.
---
We are the imagination of ourselves. - Bill Hicks.
http://youtu.be/u3X5f3gY4iw - THE MAN! (Guy Gamer.)
#55Shinobi120Posted 2/19/2013 9:47:04 PM(edited)
Microsoft is already irrelevant in Japan, though if Sony screws up once more with the next PS console with a steeper price tag, & by charging for online play, then Nintendo will wind up winning Japan again by default, as more Japanese gamers will wind up choosing that system over PS4 (or Orbis) in which the Wii U will receive a lot of Japanese 3rd party support.

Not to mention that the used gaming market is very huge in Japan, so this will be another big blow for Sony if they really go through with blocking used games on their next console.
#56CrystalKing5426Posted 2/19/2013 9:51:45 PM
Shinobi120 posted...
Microsoft is already irrelevant in Japan, though if Sony screws up once more with the next PS console with a steeper price tag, & by charging for online play, then Nintendo will wind up winning Japan again by default, as more Japanese gamers will wind up choosing that system over PS4 (or Orbis) in which the Wii U will receive a lot of Japanese 3rd party support.

Not to mention that the used gaming market is very huge in Japan, so this will be another big blow for Sony if they really go through with blocking used games on their next console.

Doesn't Nintendo already hold 75% of the Japanese marketshare?
---
Other M is the One More Day of Metroid
Official Groudon of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#57AiddonPosted 2/19/2013 9:52:16 PM
y'know, I actually wouldn't be surprised if Sony did make online gaming a subscription service. Their management has been making clown shoes decisions for nearly ten years anyway so I wouldn't put it past them to do something stupid again.
#58Kageblade23Posted 2/19/2013 9:56:45 PM
YamiYugi4400 posted...
Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus.

Ugh, that would be pretty dumb. Paying for Xbox live isn't worth it. Paying for Playstation World sure as hell won't be

lol as soon as i got my ps3 i dropped live simply because plus was free (at least for the first 3 months... my xbox only came with 1 month) to play online...i pay for plus for the free extra goodies and discounts... if they are serious about making everyone pay idk how well that will go... the non fanboys moved away from the xbox because they were charging to play online...
#59sentoworfPosted 2/19/2013 9:59:21 PM
I hope not.
---
(@_@) Spinda is watching
http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs2/1320435_o.gif
#60NejiHyuga900Posted 2/19/2013 11:28:48 PM
Y34RX3R0 posted...
My Wii U is looking better and better everyday!

This. I am loving my Wii U and I am an Xbox/PC gamer but I am slowly turning back to a Nintendo gamer.
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag & Nintendo Network ID: TDPNeji
Steam ID: NejiHyuga900