A little reading to better undertand why the Wii U is like it is.

#1MctiasPosted 2/19/2013 7:06:01 PM
A lot of people diss the Wii U, and before it the Wii, because they are not cutting edge technology. They probably do so because they don't know about Gunpei Yokoi and his design philosophy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpei_Yokoi

The dude was totally awesome and integral to Nintendo's place in video game history.

I post this here because every Nintendo fanboy should know about this guy to better defend everything Nintendo in heated forums all around the interwebs.
#2aryanbrarPosted 2/19/2013 7:37:35 PM
wii was backwards in tech, casual peasents bought tons of them. wii u was what wii should have been, but it came out at a wrong time.
#3GEKGanonPosted 2/19/2013 7:44:53 PM
I really don't like these tech discussions, because people hold the Wii U up against PS4/720 and say "Nuts on Nintendo, now THESE are technological marvels!!!", and all the while, the PC master race is smugly taking a steaming diarrhea turd on everything. If people really had any sense when it comes to these tech arguments, nobody would be hailing PS4/720 for doing a worse job of what PCs have been doing better for far longer.
---
Steam Name: gekganon
#4IcecreamdunwichPosted 2/19/2013 7:55:06 PM
Gunpei is shaking in his grave at how Nintendo is being run. Do not bring him into this mess.
#5JobocanPosted 2/19/2013 7:57:34 PM
aryanbrar posted...
wii was backwards in tech, casual peasents bought tons of them. wii u was what wii should have been, but it came out at a wrong time.

Yes I'm sure releasing a 800$ console in 2006 would have been a great idea.
---
www.vgcollect.com/jobocan - My Collection
#6VoelgerPosted 2/19/2013 8:00:23 PM
The problem with saying the pC "master race" is that the majority of games are console focused. Even the big pc exclusives are usually designed for lower end builds. So the master race is living off of console scraps
---
Mythlogic-Pollux 1612, Clevo P150em, i7-3720QM, 2GB GTX 680m, 16g DDR3, 128 MSata drive, 750 7200rpm HDD
PowerFAQs 1.10
#7cmdrdreddPosted 2/19/2013 8:00:33 PM
I think the PC argument is a good one. If people were really interested in this technology stuff, they would be touting Steam and pushing for console developers to make their games for PC instead. Just need the right box.

I remember the crytek devs saying something to the effect of a console can never hold a candle to a PC in terms of capability for gaming. I find it funny that the console manufacturers are trying harder and harder to make their box more PC like while everyone who builds a PC or knows a good bit about them can run a cable to the TV and play games on it. All you need is the right box and the right developer support. I can see a Windows based midrange PC with literally thousands of titles available right now doing well if it's marketed right. I just think there would be resistance from some devs to make games for the PC.
---
"Do not be to eager to deal out death and judgment, for even the very wise cannot see all ends." -Gandalf
#8the_cajun88Posted 2/19/2013 8:11:30 PM
I undertand everything now.
---
The University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i40.tinypic.com/10p3kmw.jpg
#9Mctias(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 8:14:55 PM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Gunpei is shaking in his grave at how Nintendo is being run. Do not bring him into this mess.

Still, it is clear that someone at Nintendo understood that just making their systems more powerful was not going to cut it.

The Wii is a prime example of that mindset, instead of throwing unholy amounts of money at processing power, they took the Gamecube and figured out a new way to use it. That is precisely what Gunpei was all about.
#10Mctias(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 8:27:51 PM
cmdrdredd posted...
I think the PC argument is a good one. If people were really interested in this technology stuff, they would be touting Steam and pushing for console developers to make their games for PC instead. Just need the right box.

I remember the crytek devs saying something to the effect of a console can never hold a candle to a PC in terms of capability for gaming. I find it funny that the console manufacturers are trying harder and harder to make their box more PC like while everyone who builds a PC or knows a good bit about them can run a cable to the TV and play games on it. All you need is the right box and the right developer support. I can see a Windows based midrange PC with literally thousands of titles available right now doing well if it's marketed right. I just think there would be resistance from some devs to make games for the PC.

The right box marketed properly is basically a console :P

It has the added bonus of making devs happy because they know for sure what hardware the consumer has, avoiding all sorts of problems that come from the nearly infinite setups that the average joe might have at home.