It's going to be hard to top Super Mario Galaxy. What can this new 3D Mario do?

#21TerotrousPosted 2/20/2013 10:44:42 AM
MichaelDeAngelo posted...
It would still retain a more Mario 64 feeling than Mystical Ninja. Think of it more along the lines of GTA, but without the car theft and hookers. It'd just be a true sandbox Mario game, ala Mario 64, but you wouldn't have to jump into a painting to play a level or attempt a quest.

Well yeah, presumably it'd be Mario style environments rather than feudal Japan, but I meant the concept of an Adventure / 3D Platformer hybrid where you explore the world, find towns, action areas, castles, etc.

I'm not really sure how you could apply much sandbox stuff to Mario (he doesn't exactly tend to fetch stuff or do much that relates to "missions") but I can see it working with an open-world setup.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#22ADHDguitarPosted 2/20/2013 10:46:07 AM
Eh, I think the separation of areas benefits Mario games.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#23FFXIgaiaknightPosted 2/20/2013 10:46:41 AM
thats the problem nintendo might have with this next mario game galaxy was so well received by critics including winning game of the year awards that nintendo will have a hard time topping it.
---
Currently Playing: Elder Scrolls Skyrim: Dragonborn (PC)
NNI: Gaiaknight
#24Virus66Posted 2/20/2013 11:16:48 AM
FFXIgaiaknight posted...
thats the problem nintendo might have with this next mario game galaxy was so well received by critics including winning game of the year awards that nintendo will have a hard time topping it.

Mario games have been topped time and time again. Mario 3 was the pinnacle. Then Mario World came along. Then Mario 64. Then Mario Galaxy, and then Mario Galaxy 2. It's not like it's never happened. It just might not be THIS release that does it.
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#25elheberPosted 2/20/2013 11:43:27 AM
MichaelDeAngelo posted...
Basically, make Mario a sandbox. Ditch the hub gameplay that you had in 64, and make the mushroom kingdom one large, contiguous place.

Perhaps not an open world, but more like all stages are interconnected without boundaries or loading screens. A completely open environment would almost defeat the point of platforming if Mario can simply go around the obstacles. Also, I'm not sure I buy into the idea of a traditional quest structure for a Mario game.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
| 3DS: Ulysses | PSN: Riot_Guy |
#26TerotrousPosted 2/20/2013 11:45:25 AM
I always felt Sunshine should have worked like that, since from most areas you can see the other areas, but they're not actually connected.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#27SlimeSwayzePosted 2/20/2013 11:47:20 AM
Huge levels that focus on exploration and tons of secrets, and a huge HUB area that connects the levels. Basically, just take what Mario 64 and SMS did well and expand on it. They can still include some of the smaller, platforming-focused levels within levels (kind of like Sunshine did), but keep the focus on large areas and exploration. And don't limit the environments so much like they did with Sunshine. That would be perfect.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#28HungoverHero777Posted 2/20/2013 11:48:43 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
Huge levels that focus on exploration and tons of secrets, and a huge HUB area that connects the levels. Basically, just take what Mario 64 and SMS did well and expand on it. They can still include some of the smaller, platforming-focused levels within levels (kind of like Sunshine did), but keep the focus on large areas and exploration. And don't limit the environments so much like they did with Sunshine. That would be perfect.

This, along with my "idea", would make the game more perfect.
---
The best gaming group on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/RoosterTeeth/videos?view=0
#29megax11Posted 2/20/2013 12:01:36 PM
Easy peasy, TC. They go into sandbox territory. You can travel across the whole Mushroom Kingdom, talking to NPC's in the Toad Village right outside of Peach's Castle, where you can complete tasks for stars.

Sometimes you can find warp pipes to allow fast travel to areas like a haunted forest/house, mountain area separating the Mushroom Kingdom from Bowser's lava area, water area, and other areas where you gather stars by completing objectives in each area.

Warp pipes could also lead to small challenges where you're rewarded with Stars as well.

An open world Mario game that takes place in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Who knows, maybe a hidden canon can shoot you up into space for an area that plays like the Galaxy games too, making it all the sweeter.
---
The ALL THINGS GAMING fanboy. PSWiiU60DSPVita FTW! 1356 games and still growing. XBL: GameMaster1178 PSN: megax28 Wii U: GameMaster1178