Let's Discuss the Future of Wii U and the Imminent PS4

#1MirageMew2Posted 2/20/2013 6:56:02 PM
/obligatory "I have a Wii U!" comment.

Why is everybody who criticizes the Wii U branded a troll? I want none of that here. I'm not criticizing anything, merely stimulating discussion.

Okay, so the PS4 conference was great in my opinion. We got a glimpse at the heavy graphical capabilities and features and software of the PS4. And by the looks of it, it already seems like the PS4 will have way more third party support than the Wii U already has. It might be too early to tell, but it seems like it. It also seems like the PS4 blows the Wii U out of the water when it comes to processing power.

That being said, I'm now officially a troll to you, right?

No. I'm not trolling. I'm a legitimately concerned Nintendo customer who invested in this system early without foreseeing the potential impact the PS4 and soon the 720 will have. I see that Watch Dogs was confirmed for the Wii U as well. That's really good, in fact, very exciting. However, after already seeing gameplay (on a high end PC that'll be similar to PS4 and 720), I'm expecting it to look stunning. And frankly, I don't see it looking it's best on the Wii U. Feel free to disagree, I'm not stating facts, only opinions. When it comes to first-party software, Nintendo and Sony are leagues above Microsoft, however, Nintendo is somewhat slacking in this area now too. Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD are the only (confirmed) heavy hitters on the nearby horizon.

PS4 now has inFamous 3, Killzone: Shadow Fall, Destiny (which probably won't be on the Wii U), and Diablo 3. These are all fantastic games that will most certainly be excellent across the charts.

This conference has made me realize that Nintendo has taken a huge risk in their creativity. Sure, the PS4 is likely to cost between $430-530 dollars, which is definitely expensive. But compared to the Wii U, which, without the gimmicky controller should be around $200. Consumers will see the PS4 in comparison to the Wii U and will realize which is likely to be the better investment.

The Wii U can get the PS4's games, we see this with Watch Dogs being confirmed on it. However, we can only wait and see if Watch Dogs is a precise multi-plat game, equal in graphical and processing power on the Wii U, or just another port akin to the early Wii/360 days.

The GamePad is a great concept, however so far it hasn't taken off, which makes me think Nintendo has thought way too far out of the box. Now, Sony, in their efforts to piggyback this "gaming in your hands" trend, has a similar plan with the PS4 and Vita. Although a much more expensive combo, it definitely executes better than the Wii U GamePad. Sony intends to have the player play *any* PS4 game on the Vita. This work through the Cloud gaming feature, which uses the PS4 as the dedicated processor, and the Vita as a simple TV screen, so to speak.

Time will tell which feature will be successful, but so far Nintendo is struggling to keep the juice going.

Lastly, Sony already has a successful online service, what's going on with Nintendo's? Consumers will see the difference between the two consoles, and having already been accustomed to the great services offered by 360 and PS3, will buy their next system based on that. Nintendo needs to pick things up or the Wii U will become obsolete in a year.
Okay, let's get this going.
---
"My father put me in P.O.R.N. when I was young. P.O.R.N., you know, Parents Offering Recreation and Nutrition?"
NNID: Dope _ Kharisma
#2MirageMew2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 6:58:34 PM
Yikes, y'all are fast tonight.
---
"My father put me in P.O.R.N. when I was young. P.O.R.N., you know, Parents Offering Recreation and Nutrition?"
#3RandytheShrewPosted 2/20/2013 6:59:44 PM
text wall choking me..
im not gonna make it...
---
PSN ID RandyTheShrew
#4BlackPhoenix127Posted 2/20/2013 7:01:39 PM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/154/912/berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465
---
PSN: Azure-Edge
#5HELZEROPosted 2/20/2013 7:02:04 PM
PS4: wow good job Sony, and I dont even like you
Wii U: what future?
---
Nintendo Cycle: http://www.vgmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/nintendo-cycle.png
#6MirageMew2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 7:04:21 PM
BlackPhoenix127 posted...
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/154/912/berneydidnotread.gif?1318992465

How educated.
---
#7GigantLuffyPosted 2/20/2013 7:04:57 PM
. Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD are the only (confirmed) heavy hitters on the nearby horizon.

Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter Tri, and Lego City are pretty damn close. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if SMTxFE gets a release date soon.
---
http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=928 - Eat a sack of **** IGN | UnOfficial Getter Robo of anything ever
#8Speedmaster1225Posted 2/20/2013 7:05:06 PM
You have to be either a fanboy or a troll on these boards. There is no middle ground.
---
Who needs a sig?
#9TerotrousPosted 2/20/2013 7:08:42 PM(edited)
Uhh, Diablo 3 a fantastic game for PS4? You're kidding right?

Besides the fact that everyone hates it, it has sub-PS3 level graphics.

It's pretty obvious that PS4's graphical advantage over Wii U is minimal, much less than PS3 had over Wii. This makes it very possible that developers will make all of their multiplats available on Wii U, cutting out virtually any advantage PS4 might have. If they're unlucky enough, Wii U may be able to "hold back" PS4 games from ever exceeding what Wii U is capable of, much like 360 did to PS3.

Wii U is in a very strong position right now due to their lower price and one year head start. It's looking like Nintendo guessed right about where the "useful hardware cutoff" was, the extra tech of PS4 doesn't look like it will amount to much at all.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#10MirageMew2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 7:08:30 PM
GigantLuffy posted...
. Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD are the only (confirmed) heavy hitters on the nearby horizon.

Wonderful 101, Monster Hunter Tri, and Lego City are pretty damn close. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if SMTxFE gets a release date soon.

Wonderful 101 maybe. A big maybe.

A remake and a Lego game, no.
---