Wait, why are people saying the PS4-Wii U is a small difference?

#51Lefty128kPosted 2/21/2013 2:07:24 AM
Amakusa posted...
Thanks to the sharing functions I don't expect any game to be able to use all 8 GB of RAM, much like how the Wii U reserves RAM space for its own UI functions.

The only question is, how much of that is eaten by the PS4's own UI functions.

They included specific hardware to handle the share/video function, IIRC.

Not an expert, but it seems to me that this share hardware could just read the video directly from the RAM, encode it, and upload it. Wouldn't need to actually occupy any RAM space at all or even use up much if any CPU/GPU resources.
#52TheBonfiniPosted 2/21/2013 2:09:47 AM
Mushroom Kingdom is now declared Denial District.
---
www.facebook.com/mikebonfini
Sapphic ladies - http://i.imgur.com/hU2rJ.jpg
#53Rev0luti0nN0wPosted 2/21/2013 2:11:00 AM
It's an undeniable fact that a console that uses an 8 core AMD Jaguar, something made to compete with Intel atom and arm processors, that basically display 2006 era pc games, is twice as powerful as the power pc/power 7 fusion?

I'd say the ps4 fanboys might end up being awfully surprised in the end.
#54dennis941012Posted 2/21/2013 2:12:29 AM
It's an undeniable fact that a console that uses an 8 core AMD Jaguar, something made to compete with Intel atom and arm processors, that basically display 2006 era pc games, is twice as powerful as the power pc/power 7 fusion?

---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#55Love-WilcoxPosted 2/21/2013 2:17:25 AM
The PS4 is more powerful than the Wii U

but

The Wii U will share many 3rd party games with the PS4.

Of course PS4 games will look better but resolution and frame rates will be mostly the same.

1080p and 60fps are going to be the standard (for the most part) for both consoles.
---
Flow: 68
PSN: Love-Wilcox
#56TheBonfiniPosted 2/21/2013 2:18:18 AM
Rev0luti0nN0w posted...

Use your main.
---
#57TheBonfiniPosted 2/21/2013 2:19:30 AM
Love-Wilcox posted...

but

Of course PS4 games will look better but resolution and frame rates will be mostly the same.

1080p and 60fps are going to be the standard (for the most part) for both consoles.

Such a great crystal ball you have.

The specifications say no.
---
#58SolisPosted 2/21/2013 2:36:43 AM
Rev0luti0nN0w posted...

Part of the point of low power processors is that they have high efficiency. While I'm not a huge fan of the previous lower end AMD processors, the Jaguar cores will more than likely be a pretty close match to the PowerPC 750-based cores of the Wii U's CPU. And of course, it has a heck of a lot more of them.

And I have no idea what you mean by "display 2006 era PC games". What? Hardly any games back then utilized more than 1 CPU cores, let alone 8, where are you drawing that comparison from?

Still, the CPU is still probably the most modest upgrade in the console by comparison. The massive difference in RAM and GPU performance are where we'll see such a huge gap between systems.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#59Rev0luti0nN0wPosted 2/21/2013 2:39:43 AM
I've used a few atom/arm/amd fusion type cores. At best, they play 2006 era pc games. Some newer games they can play at mid to low settings, but they are poor cpus at best.
#60Love-WilcoxPosted 2/21/2013 3:12:00 AM
TheBonfini posted...
Love-Wilcox posted...

but

Such a great crystal ball you have.

The specifications say no.

Of course it was too much of me to ask for you to use common sense when reading my post.
This is clearly my OPINION and overall prediction for the next gen. I never stated anything as fact.

I personally cannot see the PS4 bringing anything new to gameplay with the exception of graphics but of course I would love to be proven wrong as I do intend to eventually own a PS4.
---
Flow: 68
PSN: Love-Wilcox