Wait, why are people saying the PS4-Wii U is a small difference?

#61midgarPosted 2/21/2013 3:26:27 AM
I've used a few atom/arm/amd fusion type cores. At best, they play 2006 era pc games. Some newer games they can play at mid to low settings, but they are poor cpus at best.

What you have to remember too though, is that this is a different CPU than those. More cores, probably a much higher clock rate.
Plus, everything that's using them at present are quad core units without an additional GPU (PS4's is close to a 7850, a decent mid
range card). They can even run modern games at 1080p, though with pretty meh performance, despite the mentioned deficiencies.

Until we know what the actual specifics are of these custom CPUs, it'll be hard to say how what exists on the market compares to them.
However, I think it's safe to say they'll be considerably stronger, and have a separate GPU to offload the important graphical work to. It's
literally impossible to EVER reach PC standards for consoles, because of cost and form factor. That said, they're still a leap beyond last gen.
---
[This sig has been stabbed by Ray Lewis]
#62jairusmonillasPosted 2/21/2013 4:24:03 AM
originalhipster posted...
PS4 has 4X the RAM and at least twice the processing power.

actually not twice, PS4 is at least thrice the processing power. 8 cores > 3 cores
#63Red_hot_smasherPosted 2/21/2013 4:30:10 AM(edited)
BorgOnization13 posted...
I said it once and i'll say it again:

The fact that the ps4 will have an 8 core processor is enough to say that the WiiU has been literally raped in the graphics/frame department.

...except teh CPU has jack **** to do with graphics.
...and the amount of cores only vaguely hints at a CPU's actual performance. Case in point: 4 core Intel i7's run circles around 8 core AMD's right now.
---
All these organizations for human rights, and yet noone cares about the victims of copyright law. ;(
Sierpinski Triangle = Yo dawg, I heard you like Triforces.
#64CyborgTwentyPosted 2/21/2013 5:23:49 AM
wii u graphics are a few steps ahead of sonystation four.
#65guttertalkPosted 2/21/2013 5:35:42 AM
BorgOnization13 posted...
I said it once and i'll say it again:

The fact that the ps4 will have an 8 core processor is enough to say that the WiiU has been literally raped in the graphics/frame department.

Literally does not mean what you think it does.
#66IcedEarthaholicPosted 2/21/2013 5:42:39 AM
It will be all in how efficient things are used in both systems. Do you seriously think that all 8 gigs will be available at all times for gaming? Nah, it will function much like a PC. The specs sound impressive, but if the only way to attain backwards compatibility is via cloud, that's just sad.

I was not impressed at all. PS4 sounds okay and I am sure it will be a decent system, but I honestly don't see it going for any less than 450 bucks, a price I will not be buying the sucker at. And if you think Nintendo is going to sit there twiddling their thumbs, guess again.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#67Emerald_MeliosPosted 2/21/2013 5:46:12 AM

The RAM is probably the only significant improvement, especially if the CPU has tasks reserved by its OS.

Come to think of it, doesn't the Wii U also reserve a portion of its system resources for the MiiVerse and its OS?
#68MichaelDeAngeloPosted 2/21/2013 5:52:23 AM
ADHDguitar posted...
Because it's smaller than people said it would be.

---
Alundra is the best top-down Zelda game since Link to the Past.
Darksiders is the best 3D Zelda game since Ocarina of Time.
#69BSerenityPosted 2/21/2013 5:57:04 AM
That amount of ram is really nice, but the one thing we have no clue yet is how much will be given strictly to the OS and it's many "sharing" functions and what not.
---
La morte sgorga dalle mie dita... Non v'e dubbio, tale e il desiderio dell'ignobile; dannata innocenza!
#70guttertalkPosted 2/21/2013 5:58:38 AM
jairusmonillas posted...

actually not twice, PS4 is at least thrice the processing power. 8 cores > 3 cores

And an 18 wheeler is 4x faster than a car and 9x faster than a motorcycle.

The understanding of hardware here is nearly non-existent.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+FX-8150+Eight-Core

And, no, I'm not saying the Wii U is as powerful as the PS4. But jeez, try not to sound so stupid.