PS4 future-proofs with next-gen specs and tech; Wii U goes for tablet gaming?

#1G1243Posted 2/21/2013 6:42:14 AM
Wii U is obviously on par with this current gen of consoles (Xbox360, PS3). Nintendo knows it, and that's why they won't release the system specs.

PS4 released with specs (no console image yet), but is clearly focused on graphical and technical power. I don't know about you but if I hear that a console has high specs, I assume the potential for great games is going to be on there. You can just seen from the tech demos from the Sony conference.

When I hear the Wii U has focused on it's tablet controller as the future, I am not so excited, because it is pretty limiting in scope. Nintendo were probably hoping devs would be creative and try to find great ways to use the tablet which would make games feel inferior without, but it hasn't happened yet (early I know), and I don't think it will. The novelty of tablets will not reach a high demand or be seen as supremely useful.

Frankly, the next step into graphical power will be much more impressive than playing a game that utilizes the tablet controller as a function of the game. You can do so much more with better tech, basically unchaining the developers to do more of what they envision.

Nintendo took a backwards approach and made the developers have to work to come up with ideas on how to make a game (possibly multiplatform game), work around the tablet. It's all the more reason for lack of 3rd party support, Nintendo should have been the forerunners of their console by releasing 1st party games that exemplified well what the console's potential could be. Instead they released a mediocre 'Nintendoland', where one of the mini-games is throwing ninja stars... *ahem* yeah that won't be fun for anymore than 3 minutes.

However, I side more with Nintendo on the social media front; having a hub and good moderators to keep things clean is nice, and it's not so intrusive as the PS4. PS4 is really overstepping itself into social media with the 'Share' button on the controller (that will never be used by me), but I am intrigued with it's game streaming capabilities and 'friend take-over' of games. But still, I prefer Nintendo's conservative approach in this aspect.

In the end, it looks like Nintendo definitely has competition. The image of the console wars has materialized a bit more, now that we know what the other side is working with.
---
Either God can do nothing to stop catastrophes like this, or he doesnt care to, or he doesnt exist. God is either impotent, evil, or imaginary.
#2ADHDguitarPosted 2/21/2013 6:45:07 AM
So, putting a map on a second screen = tablet gaming?

Kay.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#3TheFallenPriestPosted 2/21/2013 6:55:00 AM
G1243 posted...

PS4 released with specs (no console image yet), but is clearly focused on graphical and technical power. I don't know about you but if I hear that a console has high specs, I assume the potential for great games is going to be on there. You can just seen from the tech demos from the Sony conference.

When I hear the Wii U has focused on it's tablet controller as the future, I am not so excited, because it is pretty limiting in scope. Nintendo were probably hoping devs would be creative and try to find great ways to use the tablet which would make games feel inferior without, but it hasn't happened yet (early I know), and I don't think it will. The novelty of tablets will not reach a high demand or be seen as supremely useful.

Frankly, the next step into graphical power will be much more impressive than playing a game that utilizes the tablet controller as a function of the game. You can do so much more with better tech, basically unchaining the developers to do more of what they envision.

Paragraph 1
There is a tech demo out, because Sony knows it has to put something that looks impressive out there immediately, because thats what its fans are about. It would be pointless for nintendo to put all iits efforts into a tech demo because it wouldnt impress its base. The last thing any company wants to do is make its core following think that it is abandoning its principles.

Paragraph 2
Sonys own press conference disagrees with you. The devs were not talking about how powerful the system was for why they liked it. They were talking about how much they enjoyed the social integration, and how they liked that you could essentially accesss the games from any device. They didnt mention power as being something that helped them once, that I heard. I admittedly only watched it for an hour though. So maybe later on, or earlier than I started watching they did.

Paragraph 3
It may be more interesting for the player, but not the developer. Did you see the giant section they had on the psmove? Once again, I hardly saw the graphics talked about by the developers as something that was really making them interested in the ps4. The players may enjoy the graphics, but the players are the one that have to pay the developers that come with those higher costs.
---
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/64999261/728682650 Xeeh_Blitz says Wii U Controller Rattling is worse than XBox RROD, Troll status confirmed.
#4sythe343Posted 2/21/2013 6:59:14 AM
There's a reason why the Pro Controller exists. It's for games that don't, or won't use the gamepad. Only the devs that want to use the pad have to.
---
Jumping feet first into hell isn't your job, making sure it's full when you get there is.
PSN: DedSythe XBL:Ser MeatShield
#5tizzywilkillyouPosted 2/21/2013 7:02:42 AM
The only REAL "future proof" aspect of the PS4 is the 8GB GDDR5. But with all this chicanery they're planning, an inordinate amount of that could be gobbled up by non-gaming concerns. And that 8GB of GDDR5 makes any level headed observer fear for the price of the damned thing.
---
i5 2550k, 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3@1600mhz, EVGA GTX 550ti, 120GB OCZ SSD, 22in/1680x1050
#6nonexistingheroPosted 2/21/2013 7:07:19 AM
Releasing the Wii U's system specs is useless. It's a highly specialized piece of hardware. Numbers will get you nowhere.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#7PigfartsPosted 2/21/2013 7:18:53 AM
G1243 posted...
Wii U is obviously on par with this current gen of consoles (Xbox360, PS3). Nintendo knows it, and that's why they won't release the system specs.

Nintendo took a backwards approach and made the developers have to work to come up with ideas on how to make a game (possibly multiplatform game), work around the tablet. It's all the more reason for lack of 3rd party support, Nintendo should have been the forerunners of their console by releasing 1st party games that exemplified well what the console's potential could be. Instead they released a mediocre 'Nintendoland', where one of the mini-games is throwing ninja stars... *ahem* yeah that won't be fun for anymore than 3 minutes.

However, I side more with Nintendo on the social media front; having a hub and good moderators to keep things clean is nice, and it's not so intrusive as the PS4. PS4 is really overstepping itself into social media with the 'Share' button on the controller (that will never be used by me), but I am intrigued with it's game streaming capabilities and 'friend take-over' of games. But still, I prefer Nintendo's conservative approach in this aspect.

In the end, it looks like Nintendo definitely has competition. The image of the console wars has materialized a bit more, now that we know what the other side is working with.

but but, it came out 7 years later, its next gen.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#8TerotrousPosted 2/21/2013 7:20:54 AM
Uhh, we've got almost all of the Wii U specs. Where's this notion that we don't have them coming from?

Wii U is clearly a somewhat but not drastically stronger PS3 / 360. PS4 has much more power in terms of hardware. No one denies that.

The question is whether that extra horsepower will mean anything as far as games are concerned. Last night, it didn't look like it.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#9jairusmonillasPosted 2/21/2013 7:22:00 AM
G1243 posted...

Nintendo has competition? are you kidding?

PS4 already won. Wii U latest sales 50k is already one of the worse NA sales in the history of consoles. Wii U is DOA.
#10Rennik RepotsirPosted 2/21/2013 7:29:15 AM
I play games to have fun, not to be impressed. I think that is why they are called games. I rather have fun throwing ninja stars for three minutes than to sit through another bore-fest that has what you consider "impressive" graphics.

Don't get me wrong, graphics can improve on game-play. But then again, that is up to the developer. So far, a majority of the graphics for game-play is nothing but the visual aspect, which adds little to none to the actual game-play.
---
FREE BUMP!!!
The person above suffers from IAD.</post>