PS4 future-proofs with next-gen specs and tech; Wii U goes for tablet gaming?

#11pokemonfreak97Posted 2/21/2013 7:31:08 AM
Pigfarts posted...
G1243 posted...
Wii U is obviously on par with this current gen of consoles (Xbox360, PS3). Nintendo knows it, and that's why they won't release the system specs.

PS4 released with specs (no console image yet), but is clearly focused on graphical and technical power. I don't know about you but if I hear that a console has high specs, I assume the potential for great games is going to be on there. You can just seen from the tech demos from the Sony conference.

When I hear the Wii U has focused on it's tablet controller as the future, I am not so excited, because it is pretty limiting in scope. Nintendo were probably hoping devs would be creative and try to find great ways to use the tablet which would make games feel inferior without, but it hasn't happened yet (early I know), and I don't think it will. The novelty of tablets will not reach a high demand or be seen as supremely useful.

Frankly, the next step into graphical power will be much more impressive than playing a game that utilizes the tablet controller as a function of the game. You can do so much more with better tech, basically unchaining the developers to do more of what they envision.

Nintendo took a backwards approach and made the developers have to work to come up with ideas on how to make a game (possibly multiplatform game), work around the tablet. It's all the more reason for lack of 3rd party support, Nintendo should have been the forerunners of their console by releasing 1st party games that exemplified well what the console's potential could be. Instead they released a mediocre 'Nintendoland', where one of the mini-games is throwing ninja stars... *ahem* yeah that won't be fun for anymore than 3 minutes.

However, I side more with Nintendo on the social media front; having a hub and good moderators to keep things clean is nice, and it's not so intrusive as the PS4. PS4 is really overstepping itself into social media with the 'Share' button on the controller (that will never be used by me), but I am intrigued with it's game streaming capabilities and 'friend take-over' of games. But still, I prefer Nintendo's conservative approach in this aspect.

In the end, it looks like Nintendo definitely has competition. The image of the console wars has materialized a bit more, now that we know what the other side is working with.

but but, it came out 7 years later, its next gen.

To make a long story short, you're both right with your statements about generations (or you both can be).

Saying that it's on par with what most people refer to as the "current" generation of consoles (it's the last one, it's been the last one since the launch of the 3DS; I'll call it the seventh generation) is seeming to be correct; as far as I know, they haven't finished the analysis of what makes the thing tick yet, but it seems to be about as good as the Xbox 360 and PS3, and/or better than them. However, specs do not determine a console's generation. The Wii U is part of what most people refer to as the "next" generation of consoles (it's already started with the 3DS, Vita, Wii U and PS4 once it's out, I'll call it the 8th generation). Its specs, high-end seventh-generation, low-end eighth generation, or average third-generation (probably not that last one) have no bearing on the fact that it is an eighth-generation console.

Also, to G1243 on Nintendo Land;

You picked what is (in my opinion) the second-worst Nintendo Land game. You remarkably failed to mention games like Yoshi's Fruit Cart, Metroid Blast, Luigi's Ghost Mansion, and other Nintendo Land stuff that happened to demonstrate the GamePad's usefulness much better than Takamaru's Ninja Castle.
---
Which is more mature: playing a game where you can shoot people or seeing those games and deciding not to play them?
Yes, I formerly had a Pokemon Gen VI sig.
#12saduffPosted 2/21/2013 7:31:30 AM
Its shared 8 gb which is different than dedicated. It is not future proofed. That is not even possible.
---
What's this fish doing in my ear?
#13GLDanzegoPosted 2/21/2013 7:43:56 AM
Meh....power has never determined the leader in sales during a console generation, nor has it been the determining factor in how good any platform's games were. In fact, we're just coming off of what has to be one of the worst console generations in terms of innovation, quality and creativity in actual gameplay. Yet here you are rambling on and on about power this and power that, TC?

Isn't there somewhere more appropriate where you can put your ignorance on display? The PS4 board seems like it would be the place for this pap.

----
#14anon_firePosted 2/21/2013 7:51:30 AM
GLDanzego posted...
Meh....power has never determined the leader in sales during a console generation, nor has it been the determining factor in how good any platform's games were. In fact, we're just coming off of what has to be one of the worst console generations in terms of innovation, quality and creativity in actual gameplay. Yet here you are rambling on and on about power this and power that, TC?

Isn't there somewhere more appropriate where you can put your ignorance on display? The PS4 board seems like it would be the place for this pap.

----

Right, the most powerful console in every generation has not been the winner.

PS1 sold incredibly well in the 5th gen.
PS2 sold like wild-fire in the 6th gen.
Wii sold in droves during the 7th gen.

See where I'm going with this?
#15Elem187Posted 2/21/2013 8:41:38 AM
tizzywilkillyou posted...
The only REAL "future proof" aspect of the PS4 is the 8GB GDDR5. But with all this chicanery they're planning, an inordinate amount of that could be gobbled up by non-gaming concerns. And that 8GB of GDDR5 makes any level headed observer fear for the price of the damned thing.

I'm still skeptical they will actually go through with it... Do I need to remind sony ponies as all the myths sony likes to blow smoke about in their consoles???

Go ahead and google the PS3 announcement myths.... In the meantime, the tech demos only showed what PC gaming has been doing these last few years, so color me not impressed because the sony fangirls told me the PS4 would leap frog PC gaming, so far it came wayyyy short.

And if you use the argument that it will take years to "unlock" the power of the console, thats great and all, because in years time, I'll be ready to upgrade to gen 9 graphics, while Sony will just be hitting its gen 8 stride.

Steambox and PC gaming will always be graphically superior.