The REAL truth about this next console generation......according to me

#1LuckyLickmorePosted 2/21/2013 8:43:37 AM
I am not going to spew details, the fact of the matter is I've been gaming since Atari, and one thing Ive noticed the past few years with this last generation is, I have NEVER read as many news articles of game studios, publishers etc, closing down, laying off etc. as I have in this past generation. Companies taking initial massive losses on console releases.

There's a shift happening, you would think a multi-million dollar development cost and good to great sales would equal huge success, well it's sometimes yes and sometimes no. I don't quite know where the whole idea and business of "gaming" is going, all I can say is based on experience, is that I don't think graphical capabilities matter as much anymore, in fact its been an Achilles's heal of sort as of late for many of the developers and their "AAA" titles. Remember, to us its a hobby, to them its business.

Used game sales may be a partial reason, Im not saying I am for or against, but developers aren't really laughing all the way to the bank with with blockbusters every time anymore, and lets face it, we have had plenty of eye candy this past gen, and still continue to. You would think with Sony and Microsoft with all their offerings, Nintendo would be NOWHERE to be found in the picture. This is not the case. At the end of the day I hope its Nintendo that once again comes to the rescue and save us, and give real gamers what we truly desire and that's....GAMES! and not just games, but GAMES worth our playing time!

Full disclosure, I have owned every major home console since gaming hay day 8-bit era up until this last gen. I love good exclusives. I currently own a Wii U as well and am hoping for some great stuff from The big N soon. Top 5 systems of all time in no particular order; 1) Super Nes 2) Sega Genesis 3) Sega Dreamcast 4) Nintendo 64 5) PlayStation 2

Here's hoping to what true gamers really want GREAT GAMES!!!!!!!!!
#2pokemonfreak97Posted 2/21/2013 9:00:23 AM
I have to agree that the term "triple-A game" is overused. It might have once had a meaning, but now it just means one of the following:

objective: "those games that get a lot of money and advertising".
subjective (anti-console): "those games that the console isn't getting".
subjective: (pro-console): "those games that are exclusive to my console".

I think that there needs to be less of a focus on making a profit with EVERYTHING. I would advocate making two separate types of games: mass-market games to keep the company in the black and good games to continue the companies' great series. If the good games sell well, so be it; if they don't, same. Make the changes that the main fans of the series want and keep games designed to make money distinct from games designed to be good games.
---
Which is more mature: playing a game where you can shoot people or seeing those games and deciding not to play them?
Yes, I formerly had a Pokemon Gen VI sig.
#3LuckyLickmore(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 10:56:49 AM
Agreed, it's a title where it once meant something, and that something use to be great praise and acclaim, huge notoriety for the developers throughout the industry and a nice pay day to boot! not excluding one helluva game for gamers to play!! Not so much anymore, the only thing I can see coming close to that nowadays is something along the lines of the next grand theft auto release, and that's just coming close, where the hype and build up are actually the climax, not the game release itself.

The whole situation has changed and it's still a toss up if it's for the good or worse of things. I love anticipating a new game release and game announcements, what I don't love is being shown something and then being told fall 2013 or something like that when were still in 2011 for example, or even longer!! unfortunately that's the situation we've arrived to.

Like Hollywood , the game industry with all the technological advancements is getting somewhat stale. Getting a bit bored of repetitive rehashes releases and sequels. Something bigger than just prettier graphics, better processing power has to happen with games, to make it what it once was. And I can be honest and tell you, I don't quite know what that "something" is, but what I can tell you is when that "something" is discovered gaming will be as fun as it once was!
#4LuckyLickmore(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 6:52:39 PM
Bump, what do youguys think? any intelligent gamers please feel free to add, Im curious
#5diggyfreshPosted 2/21/2013 6:55:04 PM
LuckyLickmore posted...
I am not going to spew details, the fact of the matter is I've been gaming since Atari, and one thing Ive noticed the past few years with this last generation is, I have NEVER read as many news articles of game studios, publishers etc, closing down, laying off etc. as I have in this past generation. Companies taking initial massive losses on console releases.

There's a shift happening, you would think a multi-million dollar development cost and good to great sales would equal huge success, well it's sometimes yes and sometimes no. I don't quite know where the whole idea and business of "gaming" is going, all I can say is based on experience, is that I don't think graphical capabilities matter as much anymore, in fact its been an Achilles's heal of sort as of late for many of the developers and their "AAA" titles. Remember, to us its a hobby, to them its business.

Used game sales may be a partial reason, Im not saying I am for or against, but developers aren't really laughing all the way to the bank with with blockbusters every time anymore, and lets face it, we have had plenty of eye candy this past gen, and still continue to. You would think with Sony and Microsoft with all their offerings, Nintendo would be NOWHERE to be found in the picture. This is not the case. At the end of the day I hope its Nintendo that once again comes to the rescue and save us, and give real gamers what we truly desire and that's....GAMES! and not just games, but GAMES worth our playing time!

Full disclosure, I have owned every major home console since gaming hay day 8-bit era up until this last gen. I love good exclusives. I currently own a Wii U as well and am hoping for some great stuff from The big N soon. Top 5 systems of all time in no particular order; 1) Super Nes 2) Sega Genesis 3) Sega Dreamcast 4) Nintendo 64 5) PlayStation 2

Here's hoping to what true gamers really want GREAT GAMES!!!!!!!!!

It's all GAMESTOP'S fault.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#6ballermat982Posted 2/21/2013 7:39:05 PM(edited)
I agree. I don't know if I'd consider myself an intelligent gamer, but in my opinion there's too much emphasis on graphics now. That's the difference between today's games and games during the snes, n64, and playstation eras. Back then it was all about the gameplay and delivering unique experiences. Games I would consider timeless, such as goldeneye, metal gear solid, pokemon, chrono trigger, sm64, etc., are all graphically irrelevant now, but people still play them to this day because they are amazing games.

I haven't been gaming very long, but I can see the trend you're talking about. The problem with creating games for the purpose of showing off pretty graphics is that soon another game will top those graphics, making the first one irrelevant. If it didn't have amazing gameplay, then it's pretty much forgotten about. I'm hoping soon we'll see a peak in graphics, where they can't get too much better, sort of how the human eye can't see much difference between 60fps and anything higher. When we reach that point, I think we'll begin to see developers creating some amazing unique experiences.
#7toadfan64Posted 2/21/2013 7:45:47 PM
I've only been gaming since the end of the SNES life, but I can tell you that my interest in gaming has really gone down. I used to buy about 30 -40 new games a year (not counting older ones) but now I'm lucky to get 10 (that's including the games from my parents). It's just becoming to stale anymore, there's some cool interesting games being made, but they just seem to grab me as much as they used to.
---
Brawl FC - 5412-9555-6314
Also known as Toadfan64
#8Pac12345Posted 2/21/2013 8:59:22 PM
One of the very first memories I have as a child is me playing SNES with my (back then) 24 year old brother (I was 4). What made those moments special for me was that my brother and I, despite the huge age difference, had a blast every time we put our hands on a controller. Thanks to my brother's love for videogames, I was able to experience a good number of classics.

To him, gaming wasn't about getting high scores or admiring state-of-the-art graphics. It was all about "what could be done". "Can we go there? What happens if i do this?" he kept asking to me every time we turned our SNES on. You see, his love for gaming sprung from the wonders of experimenting with the games themselves.

Eventually, his gaming activities ceased when he set out to form his own family and his job demanded more time from him.

I owe my love for video games to my brother. Thanks to him, I learned to appreciate games for their "experimental" nature and the legacy behind each console. As time passed, I went on my own to play video games both from present and past, and developed a taste for the video game industry and its history.

The reason I tell you this, is because I want to share with you that thing which captivated me the first time I touched a video game console: Pure fun.

Today, the industry has slowly detached from that simplicity that games offered back then. More and more, the video game industry borrows from modern Hollywood; putting more emphasis on profits, big names, big productions, visual effects, paid services, and leaving story, characters, setting, theme, gameplay as an afterthought.

What was once the charm of moving your character through interesting level designs, unlocking secrets, fighting that last boss, exploring areas/maps, etc. has now been replaced with achievements, linear campaigns, cliche characters, mediocre stories, season passes, blood, gore, sex, and formulaic gameplay.

The average modern gamer has become a product themselves. A product deigned to consume whatever the marketing campaigns tell them to.

What happened? When did gamers become so arrogant, belligerent towards other consoles, apathetic in regards to draconian business practices, conformist with the lack of challenge?

When did games start to become services, rather than excellent products?

I actually fear for the future of gaming; games becoming more like over-glorified tv shows (with no actual meaning or depth to them), and less like products of an industry that allows developers to prosper and gamers to thrive in the beauty that is experimenting new ways.
#9LuckyLickmore(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 11:45:26 AM
PAC, my sentiments exactly!!! I don't want people to argue and just say "it's just a nostalgia thing" because there may be some slight truth to that, but it doesn't mean there's anything at all wrong with it!

Whats wrong with wanting to have a lot of fun while playing video games again??!!! And that's where I sorta see the problem with the industry living and breathing on just graphics alone. As I said earlier, this last generation has been around the longest, and has had ample power and processing to create some truly great games, and there are a few gems no doubt, but 7 years! and I can truly say I've only had a blast, and I'm talking barrel of monkey's fun here, only a handful of times! for me it's unacceptable, or maybe I'm just getting old and need a new past time!!
#10moogle69Posted 2/24/2013 12:35:36 PM
LuckyLickmore posted...
PAC, my sentiments exactly!!! I don't want people to argue and just say "it's just a nostalgia thing" because there may be some slight truth to that, but it doesn't mean there's anything at all wrong with it!

Whats wrong with wanting to have a lot of fun while playing video games again??!!! And that's where I sorta see the problem with the industry living and breathing on just graphics alone. As I said earlier, this last generation has been around the longest, and has had ample power and processing to create some truly great games, and there are a few gems no doubt, but 7 years! and I can truly say I've only had a blast, and I'm talking barrel of monkey's fun here, only a handful of times! for me it's unacceptable, or maybe I'm just getting old and need a new past time!!

You are def not getting old. The quality just is not their any more. I never purchased a wii before and it was really hard for me to even touch my 360, the games were utter garbage, every time I purchased sometging new that I thought would be interesting, I could not pkay more than half and hour of. Bought a ps3 and sild 360, bought uncharted along with it, sometimes sony fanbiys and their tastes makes me wonder? Never bought wii coz of all the hate it gets but I decided to buy a Wii U instead, bought xenoblade chronicles as my first game :D.

Could not stop playing the game, pretty much played 4, 5, 6 hours each day and still am. Then bought other quality titles such as LOZ series, SSBB, SMG and so on and I am literally having the most fun with games since the PS2 years of gaming. Wii U no doubt will deliver.

It just goes to show that quality has took a hit greatly due to main focus being graphucs and all. Its funny when people say a game like xenoblade should be on HD console then it would be bettet, I completely and utterly disagree, the game would become another force mysrlf to pkay through.
---
3DSXL FC: 0087-3600-6980, PSP/PS3 PSN ID: snoteat01 WIIU ID: Chaosking
Currently playing: Xenoblade, SMG2, Dissidia012, Radiant H, TOTA3DS, R&CHD, OkamiHD