Better graphics means worse gameplay?

#1DFMan456Posted 2/21/2013 10:05:15 AM
What is up with that mentality on this board? I see people inferring that over and over again. Yes, gameplay is king. Yes, graphics can't save bad gameplay. But you CAN have BOTH! Have these people skipped over the Wii/360/PS3 era? The 360 and PS3 had an enormous library of games that were substantially better looking than the Wii while having fantastic gameplay. So please, stop acting like just because some up coming games are gorgeous that they're automatically going to be shallow. It simply isn't true.
#2xLexLuth0rxPosted 2/21/2013 10:06:37 AM
Usually one gets sacrificed at the expense of the other. Not always... but usually.
---
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist..."
Nintendo Network ID - LexLuth0r (please add me)
#3CyborgTwentyPosted 2/21/2013 10:08:25 AM
yes it DOES and it's why nintendo reigns superior once again. phenomenal gameplay in masterpieces like zombi u, nintendo land etc etc etc is something ps4 and 720 will never be able to do!
#4PigfartsPosted 2/21/2013 10:09:35 AM
CyborgTwenty posted...
yes it DOES and it's why nintendo reigns superior once again. phenomenal gameplay in masterpieces like zombi u, nintendo land etc etc etc is something ps4 and 720 will never be able to do!

zombie U was a pretty bad example.
---
If you don't like the smell of pigfarts, stay out of the pigpen.
#5Crazy_tank51Posted 2/21/2013 10:15:23 AM
It absolutely does not mean that at all. A game can both look and play good. The problem is game companies try to push higher end graphics to get money *Looks at EA and Activision*.

It's basically "My car looks best so it is best" when in reality said car might get low MPG, drives badly, and breaks down every weekend. Now if the car both looked and drove good, it would be the best car. but if it just looked good, it would be worse than the better-driving ugly car. In short, the better-running car is the best car because that is it's purpose; to get from point a to point b.

Same with games.
---
Not changing this sig until I have enough time, incentive, and attention span large enough to change this sig.
#6HerPandaPosted 2/21/2013 10:16:02 AM
Budget. The more you allocate into one category, the less money you have to pump into others. There is always a tradeoff, even if you have a huge budget.

Better graphics don't exactly mean the game will have bad gameplay, but you have to understand that some people would rather they spend less time and money on graphics and put that effort into putting a bit more content in the games. It works both ways, so it's just whatever floats your boat.
#7token_swordsmanPosted 2/21/2013 10:20:21 AM
No, you're trying to twist the logic. Better graphics doesn't mean a game plays better.
---
^ Typed this from my wii u ^
#8TrueBlue91Posted 2/21/2013 10:22:59 AM
Nintendo fanboys think they're mutually exclusive. Everyone else understands that you can have both good graphics AND gameplay (*gasp*)
---
Pour grammer annoy's me
#9arvilinoPosted 2/21/2013 10:23:30 AM
Graphics have very little to do with game play, but maybe the scope,size variety of the game. It's why people think Xenoblade Chronicles would not have nearly as big and varied of a world if it's graphics were developed to be up to par to current PS3 and 360 releases rather than the Wii.
#10zender1999Posted 2/21/2013 10:23:48 AM
lets see, killzone ps4, 30 fps confirmed, for a first person shooter it is bad
watchdog...screen tearing fest
so yes