Interesting picture and point someone made about Photorealism vs Non

#1sythe343Posted 2/21/2013 11:03:20 AM
http://i.imgur.com/jj9iqyj.jpg

It makes an excellent point. Emotion can be shared through games without needing a massive amount of power. Games like Braid, Journey, and TWD seemed to evoke many emotions from gamers giving them an unforgettable experience and they all have less than photorealistic graphics. Journey i know is nearly surreal in it's atmosphere and graphics.

This is a big component to the whole "My system is better than yours" thing that many of us seem to get caught up in.

The point is, You don't need supreme 1:1 photorealism to make a game good. Pretty, sure, but good is relative.
---
Jumping feet first into hell isn't your job, making sure it's full when you get there is.
PSN: DedSythe XBL:Ser MeatShield NNID: MaybeBatman
#2Spade59Posted 2/21/2013 11:04:46 AM
photorealism is ****ing gross
#3MctiasPosted 2/21/2013 11:09:45 AM
TC is pretty much spot on.

I think this so called realistic graphics are just a phase though. In the 18th century it was all the rage for painters to go for that style.

Now a days, not so much. Mainly because it is limited by reality.
#4mashuPosted 2/21/2013 11:14:57 AM
Bottom one is far better and more in line of what I'm looking for from a game. Part of the problem with the rising emphasis on graphics as the key criteria for a game's worth. It still should be gameplay first, with strong artistic direction, graphics supporting the game's style and play - imho.
#5nonexistingheroPosted 2/21/2013 12:06:20 PM(edited)
I suppose it's true you don't need power to get emotion. Lufia 2 is the only game that almost made me cry and you can't even see emotion in their faces (and not even much in their animation).

Anyhow, simply mimicking 'real' faces doesn't mean it draws out emotions. There is 1 huge factor that a game cannot copy (or CG-movie or animation), no matter how realistic it is... which is underlying energy. People can sense what others feel, even if they do not show any physical signs. Someone can put up a perfeclty friendly face and be the nicest guy ever, but if it's not congruent with the energy he carries with him, a lot of people won't fall for it. Likewise, if people do not sense any energy with digital creations, then they will not draw out emotions.

Yes, it is possible to get that underlying energy into a game. But not with raw technology.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#6ChipChippersonPosted 2/21/2013 12:11:33 PM
I just played the Trine 2 demo. It's just a 2D action puzzler but the art style sucked me in and made me believe in the fantasy far more than a 3D, Unreal Engine, wannabe photorealistic game.
---
As long as you're in my house, you'll do what I do, and believe what I believe. So butter your bacon... and bacon up that sausage, boy.