Wii U External Storage - I am dissapoint.

#1plasmawisp1713Posted 2/21/2013 10:06:07 AM
So I finally got around to buying a hard drive for my Wii U. I bought a 1TB portable one, but it unfortunately didn't work. The problem with it was that when I tried to format it, the system would simply tell me that it was unable to format. So after calling Nintendo, the associate told me that the problem was that it wasn't getting enough power, and he advised that I get a smaller hard drive. So I went out, returned the 1TB and got a 500GB for almost the same price, and it would just fail. It would format correctly, but when I tried to transfer save data over, the entire Wii U console would crash. So I called Nintendo again, and they told me that it seems like the only solution was to get a hard drive with external power supply. So I went back to Best Buy, returned mine, and bought the smallest Hard Drive with external storage I could find, a 2TB Western Digital dinosaur. It actually worked finally! I finally have some external storage. But I don't NEED 2TB for the Wii U, I have a 449GB Hard Drive on my personal laptop, and at the moment I'm only using 167GB of that data...I'll be lucky to use even 100GB on this Hard Drive.

So I guess if I could I'd get a hard drive with no more than 500GB or so and get a splitter and just plug the second part of the cable into an Outlet-to-USB converter to supply the extra power. But if you can find a smaller Hard Drive with external power without connecting two cables into the Wii U ports, then please do, but I couldn't find smaller than 2TB with external power at Best Buy, and if I'm not mistaken then 2TB is the largest the Wii U supports, not like anyone can ever use that much or anything though...
---
Wii U Nintendo Network: Lightzeaka
3DS Friend Code: 4296-4396-5385
#2RahzarXPosted 2/21/2013 10:07:00 AM
Y-Cable

/topic
---
whythefat "DDR, I notice your karma is 567. That 5+6+7= 18. 18 plus your IQ is 19. There were 19 hijackers on 911. You are a terrorist."
#3DDP886Posted 2/21/2013 10:08:04 AM
Lmao Nintendo
---
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds = Spiritual Liberation
LETS GO: NYRangers; Bring this cup back to where it belongs
#4vidalmorazaPosted 2/21/2013 10:08:16 AM
Get a Y USB cable, many people is using 320GB-500GB old/new external HDD with a Y cable...

Me? I hgave a 500GB HDD with power supply...
---
XBL/PSN/Steam/NNID: VidalukoVet
(most)This gen games: http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b245/VIdaluko/DSC00631.jpg
#5zender1999Posted 2/21/2013 10:11:45 AM
plasmawisp1713 posted...
So I finally got around to buying a hard drive for my Wii U. I bought a 1TB portable one, but it unfortunately didn't work. The problem with it was that when I tried to format it, the system would simply tell me that it was unable to format. So after calling Nintendo, the associate told me that the problem was that it wasn't getting enough power, and he advised that I get a smaller hard drive. So I went out, returned the 1TB and got a 500GB for almost the same price, and it would just fail. It would format correctly, but when I tried to transfer save data over, the entire Wii U console would crash. So I called Nintendo again, and they told me that it seems like the only solution was to get a hard drive with external power supply. So I went back to Best Buy, returned mine, and bought the smallest Hard Drive with external storage I could find, a 2TB Western Digital dinosaur. It actually worked finally! I finally have some external storage. But I don't NEED 2TB for the Wii U, I have a 449GB Hard Drive on my personal laptop, and at the moment I'm only using 167GB of that data...I'll be lucky to use even 100GB on this Hard Drive.

So I guess if I could I'd get a hard drive with no more than 500GB or so and get a splitter and just plug the second part of the cable into an Outlet-to-USB converter to supply the extra power. But if you can find a smaller Hard Drive with external power without connecting two cables into the Wii U ports, then please do, but I couldn't find smaller than 2TB with external power at Best Buy, and if I'm not mistaken then 2TB is the largest the Wii U supports, not like anyone can ever use that much or anything though...

if you are not even going to use 100gb, why didnt you just get a wiiu with 32gb memory and use that? it sounds like it will take you a couple of years to fill it up
#6plasmawisp1713(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 10:14:42 AM
Ah, because I got the basic model. Why? Because I'm racist and didn't want a black console near my family.

Or because they were sold out and I wanted a console at launch.
---
Wii U Nintendo Network: Lightzeaka
3DS Friend Code: 4296-4396-5385