Could nintendo be competed with only using 1st party franchises?

#1berenddebeerPosted 2/22/2013 1:56:10 AM
I know sega came close. Ms wins in the shooters department. Fans of shooters shouldn't go nintendo. But besides that? Fable>zelda? I don't think so. Forza>mario kart? Yes, If you like realism. But then there is fzero, waverace, excite bots... What do you guys think?
#2monkeyspoonPosted 2/22/2013 2:30:34 AM(edited)
Yes. There are genres that Nintendo don't do. Plus there are certain genres that Nintendo do that others don't.

All depends what kind of games you like. If you like mature or serious driving games for example, Nintendo are screwed 1st party wise.
---
PSN ID: monkeyspoon, XBL ID: monkeyspoon, Nintendo Network ID: monkeyspoon "I own the Vita and hate it" ShadowfxD2 (but still trolls the vita board)
#3berenddebeer(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 2:29:54 AM
monkeyspoon posted...
Yes. There are genres that Nintendo don't do. Plus there are certain genres that Nintendo do that others don't.

Can you give examples
#4monkeyspoonPosted 2/22/2013 2:31:46 AM
berenddebeer posted...
monkeyspoon posted...

Can you give examples

I edited my original post.
---
PSN ID: monkeyspoon, XBL ID: monkeyspoon, Nintendo Network ID: monkeyspoon "I own the Vita and hate it" ShadowfxD2 (but still trolls the vita board)
#5berenddebeer(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 2:35:59 AM
I already mentioned forza and halo gears etc.
#6l3igl3ossPosted 2/22/2013 2:44:01 AM
Well, SEGA was smart to release SEGA All Stars Racing Transformed for the Wii U with no Mario Kart on the horizon. It also helps that it is a high quality game! The Wii U will have exclusives like Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101 that will cover the beat em up/hack and slash genre. So yeah, if Nintendo is lucky, they could cover other genres by scoring some 3rd party exclusives like the Wii did in terms of RPG. Now that you mentioned SEGA, it reminds of how they got Treasure under their belts during the Genesis days.
---
This account will cease to exist once Nintendo goes out of business because of the Wii U.
#7fuzi11Posted 2/22/2013 3:10:55 AM
berenddebeer posted...
monkeyspoon posted...

Can you give examples

well for starters Nintendo doesn't do realistic racing games and traditional 2d or 3d fighters
#8DanteSInferno84Posted 2/22/2013 3:19:13 AM
fuzi11 posted...
berenddebeer posted...
monkeyspoon posted...

Can you give examples

well for starters Nintendo doesn't do realistic racing games and traditional 2d or 3d fighters

*points at Tekken for Wii U*

The thing that Nintendo has, that MS and Sony don't (yet) is a strong stable of 1st party franchises that can be used pretty much whenever they wish. Would I be happy with my Wii U if the only games to play on it are Mario and Zelda? Pretty much. I'd find others worth playing too, but those two alone make it worth it to me.

Though, I am wondering if Nintendo Land was a hint at the franchises to hit the Wii U...
#9The_King82Posted 2/22/2013 3:27:11 AM
They don't have a choice seeing the 3rd party publishers don't want to support them.
---
8GB OF GDDR5!!!!!
#10Traptin3daysPosted 2/22/2013 3:44:13 AM
People usually don't think of Horror games when they see Nintendo games. But Nintendo owns the Fatal Frame IP (I think) and they also made Ikenie no Yoru which looks great. Sadly, most of those games doesn't leave Japan.

They have so much potential now to make Horror games :/
---
Now let's sacrifice some chickens! :D