While everyone is caught up on graphics.. i think we forgot about something

#1TheRealistKillaPosted 2/22/2013 9:34:25 AM
Remember when we use to play games because they were FUN? The N64 was the most powerful console in the 90s but did that kill the pixelated playstation? the wii didnt even have HD but at the end of the battle ultimately sold more units than any ps3/360

remember how fun it was playing Mario Galaxy for the first time? or how about Monster Hunter Tri online no fee plus online MIC support? oh look Smash Bros melee and Zelda Twilight princess say hi!! how about xenoblade?

we had some great games in the past that didnt necessarily have the in your face graphics but boy they were FUN... and that's why we play the console.. that's why pick up and purchase these nintendo consoles. THEY ARE FUN.:)
---
I have never seen a kid so explosive in my life. Mike Mayock on Percy Lord have Mercy Harvin
#2TheRealistKilla(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 9:34:54 AM
ps i am still upset about madden but thats another story
---
I have never seen a kid so explosive in my life. Mike Mayock on Percy Lord have Mercy Harvin
#3Dust91Posted 2/22/2013 9:54:38 AM
TheRealistKilla posted...
Remember when we use to play games because they were FUN? The N64 was the most powerful console in the 90s but did that kill the pixelated playstation? the wii didnt even have HD but at the end of the battle ultimately sold more units than any ps3/360

remember how fun it was playing Mario Galaxy for the first time? or how about Monster Hunter Tri online no fee plus online MIC support? oh look Smash Bros melee and Zelda Twilight princess say hi!! how about xenoblade?

we had some great games in the past that didnt necessarily have the in your face graphics but boy they were FUN... and that's why we play the console.. that's why pick up and purchase these nintendo consoles. THEY ARE FUN.:)

I remember playing Uncharted 3 in 2011, it was super FUN. What is your point exactly, and why do you only list Nintendo games as an example of FUN?
FUN + GRAPHICS = MORE FUN.
#4the_cajun88Posted 2/22/2013 9:55:47 AM
1080p >>> 1080p
---
The University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i40.tinypic.com/10p3kmw.jpg
#5nintendo3000Posted 2/22/2013 10:01:23 AM
TheRealistKilla posted...

Wii Speak was garbage
Twilight Princess was beyond boring
Fanboy
---
Metroid Prime 4 needs to happen!!!
Fluttershy is BEST PONY!!!
#6txlionPosted 2/22/2013 10:08:51 AM
Even though I had fun with a lot of Wii games, the same time it was hard going from glorious HD with xbox and PS3 to the blurry mess on the Wii. With Wii U though, even if the console isnt as strong as the others, at least it's in HD now so I'm happy. There's only so far behind a company can get. Its like choosing to see something like Aliens on either a Blu Ray or VHS tape. Of course you're going to prefer the Blu Ray version.
#7MetroidJunkiePosted 2/22/2013 10:11:52 AM
I grew up with games that I still have a heavy attachment to so I'm definitely not one to judge a game's worth purely on its graphics.

http://www.segasaturno.com/portal/files/posted_images/2/dukenukem.jpg

That being said, I don't like graphics that are well below what the system is capable of. I think it's a sign of laziness on the developers' part, like all those Ps2 engine games on the Wii. There's 'it had limitations but we did the best we could' and there's 'we're not even going to try to make it look stylish'.
#8animanganimePosted 2/22/2013 10:17:51 AM
Remember when people were bashing the PS2 version of RE4 to death because it does not look as good as the NGC version even though it had more content/features?
---
WC i5 2500k @ 4.4 ghz, 2x GTX 670 DirectCU II, Corsair P128 SSD, 16gb G.Skill 1600 DDR3, Zalman 1000W PSU, Cosmos 1000 Case, HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 IPS
#9RomaRangersPosted 2/22/2013 11:06:09 AM
Believe it or not, games can look beautiful and still be fun. If you have never played the first Super Mario Bros. before, would you rather play it on the NES with nes graphics or the exact same game with HD graphics and more realistic looking characters, enemies, and levels? Someone who has never played the game before will obviously choose the beautiful HD version while the only people who will enjoy the nes version more are the ones who remember playing it back in the day.

Point is, graphics aren't the most important thing in a game, but they help make a gameplay more appealing.
#10MetroidJunkiePosted 2/22/2013 12:13:22 PM(edited)
RomaRangers posted...
Believe it or not, games can look beautiful and still be fun. If you have never played the first Super Mario Bros. before, would you rather play it on the NES with nes graphics or the exact same game with HD graphics and more realistic looking characters, enemies, and levels? Someone who has never played the game before will obviously choose the beautiful HD version while the only people who will enjoy the nes version more are the ones who remember playing it back in the day.

Point is, graphics aren't the most important thing in a game, but they help make a gameplay more appealing.

Also, graphics are one of the first things you see so it's a first impression of how dedicated the developers were to making a good game. I don't mind if a game is limited by hardware, but they can put in effort. Older great games managed to look very good in their time because there was effort put into the presentation. Just to use the same example twice;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBpi-IYdN_I#t=00m21s

I would argue that Duke 3D looks better than many Wii games, simply because there was effort put into the style and presentation. Obviously not technologically better looking, but the artstyle can make an impact.