Think Nintendo might decide to "region-lock" Nintendo Directs?

#1Bahamut_10thPosted 2/22/2013 4:57:03 PM
I know the title gives the wrong impression, but I'm making a serious question.

Since the Nintendo Directs started, people were able to see what games were released in Japan with ease. Some of those games most don't care about, some are cause for ruckus.
(Bravely Default for instance, and please don't start a discussion wether or not that game is worth it here...)

NoA was bugged by Mother fans for a long time in the past. Not to mention the Operation Rainfall and some supporters who spammed them with real offline Mail and other stuff.

Keep in mind I'm not bashing those fan movements. I actually supported OpRainfall and I was just as mad as the Mother fans were/are.

Anyway. Before those particular games I mentioned, there has always been a huge wave of japanese exclusives. I'm talking since NES here. The real difference now is that anyone can find out what games they are, and what they look like.
Don't you think eventually NoA will get, I don't know, sort of 'pissed off' because fans keep demanding a bunch of games with questionable sales potential to get localized and then complain with NCL about the Directs?
How likely do you think that scenario would be?

I'd like to know your opinions.
#2Baha05Posted 2/22/2013 4:57:49 PM
I doubt they can region lock the events to begin with, what with the internet existing.
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#3SalsaSavantPosted 2/22/2013 4:58:07 PM
If anything, demand for JP only games is good. That means they can start importing more.
---
Not changing this until something impossible happens
Started 12/02/12
#4Virus66Posted 2/22/2013 4:59:23 PM
Don't they already do different Directs for Japan? I guess that's kinda "region locking"...
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#5Bahamut_10th(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 5:05:27 PM
Virus66 posted...
Don't they already do different Directs for Japan? I guess that's kinda "region locking"...

What I meant was making it intentionally difficult for western viewers to check the videos.
Right now anyone can watch it. No proxy no nothing.
#6rafiiillaPosted 2/22/2013 5:10:27 PM
I think is wise how Nintendo is handling it, they can launch a doubtful title on Japan and if they see NA and EU demanding it then they can evaluate if it's worth it
---
NNID: rafiiilla
#7rockyminPosted 2/22/2013 5:23:40 PM
Baha05 posted...
I doubt they can region lock the events to begin with, what with the internet existing.

Oh they certainly can block it if they wanted to. Haven't you ever clicked on a youtube video only to get the message that the video is not viewable in your region?
---
"you cant call it piracy if they wont sell it to you in the first place." -Fallenswords
FCs, PSN and Gamertag in profile