My thoughts on the so-called console war.

#1GoldenJoe24Posted 2/22/2013 7:17:05 PM
You guys are looking at this from the wrong angle.

Nintendo's strategy is to make game experiences that you can't replicate with more powerful hardware. By offering a unique product, they rise above competition and control their own market.

Sony and MS' strategies are to make a powerful generic box, and let developers take care of software. When devs play along, like with the PS2, this is a powerful strategy. However, it's very risky, and there is not much incentive to own both products.

The fanboys want it to be otherwise, but the fact is that Nintendo is on its own level, completely separate from PS4 and likely the next Xbox. There is a good reason that people usually buy a wii+ps3 or wii+360, and very rarely 360+ps3.

What fanboys should be worrying about is Apple. You can be sure that they'll be turning the Apple TV into a console alternative this generation, and it will be a monster of a threat to Sony and MS. Nintendo will only be safe because of their unique software, but they'll still have to work hard to keep their numbers up.
#2sockroxPosted 2/22/2013 7:19:02 PM
I Disagr-----

Wait no, I agree completely.
#3the_cajun88Posted 2/22/2013 7:19:38 PM
The fanboys care about this 'console war' A LOT more than the companies do.
---
The University of Tennessee Alumni
http://i40.tinypic.com/10p3kmw.jpg
#4FenderMasterPosted 2/22/2013 7:23:06 PM
GoldenJoe24 posted...
You guys are looking at this from the wrong angle.

Nintendo's strategy is to make game experiences that you can't replicate with more powerful hardware. By offering a unique product, they rise above competition and control their own market.

Sony and MS' strategies are to make a powerful generic box, and let developers take care of software. When devs play along, like with the PS2, this is a powerful strategy. However, it's very risky, and there is not much incentive to own both products.

The fanboys want it to be otherwise, but the fact is that Nintendo is on its own level, completely separate from PS4 and likely the next Xbox. There is a good reason that people usually buy a wii+ps3 or wii+360, and very rarely 360+ps3.

What fanboys should be worrying about is Apple. You can be sure that they'll be turning the Apple TV into a console alternative this generation, and it will be a monster of a threat to Sony and MS. Nintendo will only be safe because of their unique software, but they'll still have to work hard to keep their numbers up.

All true.

But consider this. Innovation doesn't just come from new controller inputs or second screens. More important innovation comes in the software itself.

Maybe by making a powerful generic box, developers will be less limited, and have an easier time making games rather than fighting hardware limitation or unique architecture. This could be a very very good thing for games development, and in the end games are what really matters here

Anything that allows developers to express themselves without limitation is probably more important than a new controller when it comes to games.
---
http://www.jvp-boston.org
#5DynheartPosted 2/22/2013 8:05:49 PM
I think Nintendo will be fine. If you think about it, it seems their consoles are in two's.

NES started something, the SNES finished it. > Gameboy/ Gameboy color
N64 started another Nintendo chain, the Gamecube finished it. > Gameboy Advance.
Wii started yet another Nintendo chain, I'm sure the Wii U will finish it. > DS/3DS

The SNES, GC and Wii U seem to just be graphical upgrades of the same ideas set from the previous console. Likewise, the Gameboy's seem to have kept up with the the technology from the previous generation. Knowing that? I expect their next handheld to be somewhere in lines with the Wii U.

As for the next console, if Nintendo stays with it's obvious pattern, It will most likely drop the Wii concept and dual screen concept all together and make a new chain of consoles off the same idea. The Handhelds will most likely follow suit.

I look at this stuff and think to myself that Nintendo is just being Nintendo. They start something. Upgrade it...then move on. The handhelds follow suit. But you're correct...they always try to bring interactive fun to gaming.

NES: Powerglove. Gamepad. Zapper.
SNES: Had that missle launcher thing. Super Gameboy.
N64: eSlider. Rumble pak.
Gamecube: Traditional as you're gonna get from Nintendo, but they did try to make some Gameboy advance stuff with the link cable.
Wii: Need I say more?
Wii U: Again...need I say more?

If you think about it, Nintendo went back to it's roots with the Wii/Wii U. Just games and different ways to play the game. They were missing that, for the most part, with the N64/GC era; the most traditional era from Nintendo.

I'm interested to see what they do next... Their next console and handheld will be different from the previous era's. Book it.
---
Currently playing: DoA 4, Plants VS Zombies, NSMBU
NNID // XBL: Dynheart
#6lp913Posted 2/22/2013 8:11:10 PM
Spot on, TC, spot on. Though most of the critics WANT to hold Nintendo to the same exact standards (when its ultra convenient for them in support of their own favorite console maker) they always have done their own thing, and have stayed consistently successful and relevant in the process. Otherwise, Nintendo would have faded into obscurity a couple of gens ago.
---
[NNID: LPLETHAL79]
[3DS FC: 0645-5794-3020]