Wii U Sales - Can We Blame Casuals?

#1SnakePawsPosted 2/22/2013 7:30:37 PM
I'm thinking, the kind of people, like my older aunt and uncle, who were never into games before, but bought Wiis and some casual games, they did it for a few reasons:

- It was cheap.
- It played that exciting Wii Sports game, wow, motion controls, we've never seen this before!
- They didn't have any other video game console.

Now, what do they think about the Wii U?

- It's not as cheap.
- Don't we have a Wii? Why do we need another Wii?
- Well we already have something that plays video games anyway.

Those last two points are slightly different. As far they're concerned, it's still a Wii. So even if they were going to buy another video game player, they don't want to buy one that, in their minds, they already have.

Besides, the Wii is cheap. "We know the Wii is cheap because we bought one. Why are they charging so much for something that's supposed to be cheap?"

Your thoughts? Note, these are not people who paid $250 for their Wiis like many of us may have at launch.
#2deadpigs101Posted 2/22/2013 7:40:30 PM
Aye; a different name and price point, seemingly trivial, could of worked wonders for them
---
GT: DonGiovanni023
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u58/DonGiovanni023/siggy-1.jpg
#3Beatperson14Posted 2/22/2013 7:43:13 PM
Agreed. Gambling on the popularity of the Wii was not smart... It isn't even Nintendo's core audience
#4SnakePaws(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 5:35:27 PM
bump
#5mjc0961Posted 2/26/2013 5:41:08 PM
deadpigs101 posted...
Aye; a different name and price point, seemingly trivial, could of worked wonders for them

---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#6thundercat2600Posted 2/26/2013 5:41:51 PM
- our Wii has been collecting dust for 4 years. Why should we buy a new system?
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#7ixoriaPosted 2/26/2013 5:44:19 PM
The birth of iOS and Android stole every casual away from Nintendo.
#8Ness0123456789Posted 2/26/2013 5:45:38 PM
It couldn't possibly be because there's no games that interest the majority of buyers, right?
---
Each person might see a rose with a different shade of red, but the fact that we can all agree on is beauty -- that is a miracle.
-Michea, FFXI
#9ixoriaPosted 2/26/2013 5:47:25 PM
Ness0123456789 posted...
It couldn't possibly be because there's no games that interest the majority of buyers, right?

You mean Mario rehashed games? Casuals already got Angry Birds.
#10MetalKirbyPlushPosted 2/26/2013 5:49:12 PM
Identity is definitely a huge part of it. Since day one revealing, they have constantly struggled with defining just what the Wii U is really supposed to do and it's very obvious that confused marketing has detracted from sales. Casual userbase has a lot to do with it too in regards to the last two points you made, given that casual audiences usually won't feel the need to update. The kind of games they play don't really require substantial updates as they're normally based around very short-term gaming and thus, the enjoyment comes out of the simplicity of group entertainment and not complex game nuances.
---
Samus ruined Metroid forever. She keeps killing them. ~CTsChoco