Virtual Console games on Wii U vs. Wii emulated VC.

#1overkillwfo1978Posted 2/23/2013 3:28:58 AM
Ok. I'm kind of confused here, which admittedly doesn't take much. I just saw F-Zero for 30 cents and was like "hells yes, I'm buying that" and I see it popped up on the Wii U home screen and is playable on the Wii U gamepad.

... as I remember, the Wii emulation on Wii U has a ton of VC games and none of them support the Wii U gamepad. Here's the question.

Is Nintendo going to start releasing all VC titles on Wii U so they can also take advantage of the Wii U gamepad or is it just the 5 or 6 that I saw advertised? I was thinking of buying a few of the games on the Wii emulation section, but if those are just going to be upgraded to the Wii U page and take advantage of the Wii U gamepad, then I will hold off until that happens.

I like this system and all, but Nintendo really needs to reorganize the layout of their games and apps. It just seems like one big jumbled mess at the moment.
---
"Everything is bad about the console. It can't play Rugged Stubble Hero 4: Revenge of the guns" -MotiJR on the Wii U
#2tradablefoxPosted 2/23/2013 3:49:17 AM
from what i understand they're releasing some 'classics' through the wii u vc as an anniversary celebration (of the nes i think), they'll be available at a low price for a while then go up. i dont think they're re-releasing all wii vc games.
#3overkillwfo1978(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 3:53:28 AM
tradablefox posted...
from what i understand they're releasing some 'classics' through the wii u vc as an anniversary celebration (of the nes i think), they'll be available at a low price for a while then go up. i dont think they're re-releasing all wii vc games.

That's a damn shame. I hate having to navigate to the old Wii menu... that and no Wii U gamepad support. Ugh. Guess I'll just stick with my PC for the retro games.
---
"Everything is bad about the console. It can't play Rugged Stubble Hero 4: Revenge of the guns" -MotiJR on the Wii U
#4liveman789Posted 2/23/2013 3:54:48 AM
tradablefox posted...

I think they are sometime in the Spring. If you already downloaded a title on Wii, it'll cost a small fee to transfer it to the Wii U screen.
---
My latest Smash Bros 4 roster: http://oi47.tinypic.com/281sz81.jpg
#5digiblasterPosted 2/23/2013 3:57:04 AM
This is a promotional thing for 6 or 7 months; a handful of great games are coming at 30p or 30 cents (or whatever it is where you live, with a new title each month. I believe Super Metroid is next month, but don't quote me on that.

As for the rest of the games, Nintendo are rolling out VC officially with one of their updates in this half of the year - one in Spring and one in Summer - though I don't know if they announced which one. The plan is to slowly but surely restore the library of VC games to its former glory as was on Wii. If you've bought a VC game on Wii, you can do a system transfer to move all your games from Wii to Wii U, and play them through Wii mode on the Wii U.

Note: This next bit is entirely optional

When the VC games are rolled out for Wii U, you then have the option to repurchase any games you bought on Wii at a heavily discounted price - $1/$1.50 for NES/SNES games respectively. Doing so enables a bunch of features that weren't available for the Wii, including off-screen play and a dedicated Miiverse community for that game. As I said, this is entirely optional - you don't have to pay extra, and you can still access the game in its entirety through Wii mode (obviously, buying a game for the first time on Wii U will still grant you those additional features).

And I believe that about wraps that up.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. - Mctias
#6SocranPosted 2/23/2013 4:02:53 AM(edited)
Nintendo is planning on rolling out a Wii U VC, with a new 30 cent game each month as a sort of early taste of it, followed by the traditional full(ish)-priced games in larger quantities once it's officially released. We don't know which games it will have, but they'll probably try to port over as many as they possibly can from the Wii's VC. If you already own a game on the Wii VC, and want to buy the Wii U VC version, it will have its price reduced to $1 for NES games and $1.50 for SNES games, to cover the cost of the port. (You can still play the old version from Wii mode even if you don't want to pay to "upgrade".) If you're buying it for the first time on the Wii U VC, however, it will be the same price it would have been on the Wii VC.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."