Will the Wii U win this generation?

#1ZeoDefenderPosted 2/23/2013 8:31:32 AM
With the announcement of the PS4 with its uber technology, I'm getting very, very similar vibes to the 3DS and Vita or even the Wii and PS3. Sony (and Microsoft) aims for a core audience that cares about high end technology and wants to see games that really push the envelope graphically. Now this isn't a slam against Sony -- The PS3 had some amazing games and I have no doubt that the PS4 will be a great console to own if you're in the targeted demographic. The problem for Sony is that most gamers are not the type to squee over 8GB of RAM. Most gamers, even core gamers, just want to have a fun time playing a game. That's where the Wii U comes in.

Nintendo is more interested in giving you a unique gaming experience (for less than the price of a new car) with their tablet controller. I've been playing games for over 20 years and I've seen damn near everything, so that's why I want the Wii U so badly. The announced PS4 games look (and by look I mean gameplay-wise not graphically) pretty good, but kinda generic. I want something new. Nintendo Land (and others sure to follow) gives me that fresh new car smell.

I think that the PS4 and 720 sales will be fairly good, but fail to reach out to gamers beyond the core demographic that bought the PS3 and 360. The Wii U on the other hand, as soon as it gets some killer apps, will take everyone else yet again. All three systems will most likely sell less than their predecessors, but I think the Wii U will do the best.
---
"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets." - The Brigadier
#2HungtotheoverPosted 2/23/2013 8:34:00 AM
The Wii U is going to win the 7.5 gen. Zing oh!
---
Zing Oh!!!
#3CorruptedRPGPosted 2/23/2013 8:37:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SX3JnUhTaE
#4DifferentialEquationPosted 2/23/2013 8:40:47 AM
I don't know if it will win, but I will say that it's impossible for it to lose. If it has the most sales then it obviously wins. If it has the least sales, then Nintendo fanboys will just say something like "Nintendo does its own thing, it's not competing with MS or Sony. They're in their own market and not a part of this gen."
---
I want to move to a nice, quaint house in the suburbs with the T-Mobile girl and make lots of babies with her.
#5Justin TimePosted 2/23/2013 8:41:53 AM
In it's own way.
#6Fox133Posted 2/23/2013 8:45:30 AM
The Wii U will not attract the same audience as the Wii did. The Wii U is aimed more towards hardcore or regular gamers, not the casual and nongamers like the Wii did. The problem is Nintendo is still trying to attract casual gamers to the Wii U and its not going to happen. So they are stuck somewhere inbetween with the Wii U and that's because hardcore gamers want a system that is totally dedicated to them. They want the most advanced graphics, most advanced hardware, best online gaming, social networking, etc. The casual users just want something simple like the original Wii. The Wii U is too complicated for casual gamers and does not have the third party support and features that hardcore gamers want.
#7IcedEarthaholicPosted 2/23/2013 8:48:07 AM
Yes, I do feel the Wii U will win in spite of the difficult times it's having right now. Once the big guns are shown at E3, I am positive sales will pick up. It almost always takes time for must-haves to show up on a console, but when they do, they make the experience completely worthwhile. I gotta say though, the Wii U version of Most Wanted is a must-get. Not even going to bother with getting the PS3 version now, the Wii U version trumps it.

Will it look as good as the PS4? No, I don't expect that. Will it have beautiful games and an experience you just can't get anywhere else? Hell yes it will! THAT is what Nintendo wins on, quality software that you just don't get anywhere else. It is part of the reason that in spite of the fact that I've railed against them for not publishing certain titles in North America (most have come, one more to go for the Wii), the quality and experience of their software keeps me coming back for more.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973
#8DDP886Posted 2/23/2013 8:51:01 AM
the wii u maybe the best system spec wise in PS3-360-Wii-WiiU generation but i doubt it will be years before Nintendo enters the PS4-720 market
---
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds = Spiritual Liberation
LETS GO: NYRangers; Bring this cup back to where it belongs
#9Lord_KagatoPosted 2/23/2013 9:00:42 AM
Wait 3 more years, then we'll know.
---
Watch my LPs and UMvC3's Courtroom Drama! - http://tinyurl.com/bo7nxnx
Current LPs: Majora's Mask, Fatal Frame 2, Persona 3 FES
#10cavebear56Posted 2/23/2013 9:02:18 AM
Lord_Kagato posted...
Wait 3 more years, then we'll know.

---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.