When do you think they'll discontinue Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection?

#1Dersu_UzalaPosted 2/23/2013 10:55:18 AM
It only took Microsoft a few years to take down the original Xbox Live after the 360 came out.

I still play MKDS, TvC and SSBB online with a friend now and then. There's also the leaderboards for a lot of games.
#2cvfanPosted 2/23/2013 11:37:19 AM
It was absorbed by the Nintendo Network for legacy reasons, so don't expect to see it taken down anytime soon.
---
XBL GT: cvfan25, 3DS FC: 0216-0930-9701, PSN ID: cvmaniac, Wii U ID: CVFan31.
#3KayubePosted 2/23/2013 1:32:22 PM
If they take down anything they'll probably start with whatever does the WiiConnect24 distribution stuff (like the daily stage and screenshot in SSBB) since those aren't compatible with Wii U. But even that I won't expect will be done for a while given how many people still have the Wii.
---
This signature intentionally left blank.
#4omniryuPosted 2/23/2013 4:56:14 PM
cvfan posted...
It was absorbed by the Nintendo Network for legacy reasons, so don't expect to see it taken down anytime soon.

What legacy?

It is when gamespy is out of business.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#5Dersu_Uzala(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 5:08:17 PM

So was the original Xbox Live. Didn't stop it from going down later on.
#6BlazeFaiaPosted 2/23/2013 5:12:33 PM
I always thought Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was P2P and that's why it was so ****. .-. If that's the case, then it'll never go down because it's not connecting to servers. Just one game to another.
---
Companion Cube for Brawl!
http://i.imgur.com/tjDSN.png
#7DiscomasterPosted 2/23/2013 6:13:58 PM
omniryu posted...
cvfan posted...

What legacy?

Legacy is a technical term that means out-of-date.
#8Dersu_Uzala(Topic Creator)Posted 2/27/2013 6:12:12 PM
cvfan posted...

What legacy?

Which is now. IGN just announced that they're shutting it down for good, along with 1UP and UGO.

Unless Nintendo decides to allocate more of their own space to handle it, NWFC's days are numbered.
#9emagdnEPosted 2/27/2013 7:05:25 PM
I always thought Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection was P2P and that's why it was so ****. .-. If that's the case, then it'll never go down because it's not connecting to servers. Just one game to another.

matchmaking servers
---
I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy... All right, give me the bomb. -Ultra Magnus
#10SolisPosted 2/27/2013 7:27:20 PM
BlazeFaia posted...

Unless you're manually entering the IP address of the people you're playing with for every single match, then it's connecting to servers. In fact the Wii is much more server-reliant than any other system in existence since its games literally have no network connectivity options whatsoever aside from connecting through Nintendo Wi-Fi.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review