Will they mess up Smash Bros again?

#71cavebear56Posted 2/23/2013 4:16:20 PM
strongo9 posted...
Tripping was the only bad thing in Brawl. Playing Melee after playing Brawl for a long makes me release that Melee was actually worse. Brawl's mid-air dodge and backwards ledge grabbing vastly improved it over Melee. Couple those with more content overall, features, and, changes and you have a better game.

This.

Not that you can't have your preferences, but the Melee fanboys tend to be over zealous in the self proclaimed crusade of "you must agree with my belief! Brawl is horrible just because! No exceptions!!!!!!!".

If it comes to being competitive I'll stick to the KoF, Blazblue and Capcom vs. series.
---
If history is to change, let it change. If the world is to be destroyed, so be it. If my fate is to die, I must simply laugh.
#72super_taco_ftwPosted 2/23/2013 4:18:42 PM
Why are people complaining that Brawl wasn't a competitive fighter? It was never supposed to be. Nobody plays Mario Kart and expects it to be Forza or Need for Speed, so why is Smash different? You're not going to enjoy the game if you keep trying to make it something it isn't.
---
What is the Air Speed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow?
Black 2 FC: 0433 6165 7990
#73BlazeFaiaPosted 2/23/2013 4:20:32 PM
super_taco_ftw posted...
Why are people complaining that Brawl wasn't a competitive fighter? It was never supposed to be. Nobody plays Mario Kart and expects it to be Forza or Need for Speed, so why is Smash different? You're not going to enjoy the game if you keep trying to make it something it isn't.

No. The sad thing is that there ARE people like this in the Mario Kart community and it's just as bad. It's pretty sad really.
---
Companion Cube for Brawl!
http://i.imgur.com/tjDSN.png
#74Xenozoa425Posted 2/23/2013 4:57:33 PM
Just gonna put my 2 cents in and see where it goes.

In terms of core gameplay, Melee is indeed better than Brawl. It's faster paced, it's less floaty, there's a high skill ceiling, and there's no random tripping. It feels much smoother and gives you a greater sense of character control than in Brawl. Smash truly is a competitive game at heart, because the main point of the games is to have fun and beat your friends, or the computer. Brawl tries to make it less competitive by throwing in random elements like tripping, removing most "true" combos, and the physics and low gravity make staying alive easy.

However, I believe Brawl > Melee for one, and only one reason: You can softmod Brawl and mold it into literally anything you want, including the injection of Melee's physics, ala Project M. The only limit is the programmer's imagination and will to implement more complex changes and set the previous limit higher. Melee can be softmodded as well, but it's much more complex and restrictive than Brawl softmodding. With Brawl, you can inject an endless amount of characters like Ridley, Mewtwo, and pretty much anything else you can think of. You can make custom movesets for characters and change the stats, such as jump height, run speed, etc. You can import old stages from 64 and Melee, as well as all of Brawl's single player and SSE stages, and even create new stages from scratch in 3D modeling programs. You can change the music to literally anything. And so much more.

With that being said, all 3 games have their own unique flavors, and they are all great games in their own rights. A true Smash fan knows and appreciates this. I also hope Sakurai will take some inspiration from the softmodding community while he's making Smash 4. I would love it to be as fast and dynamic as Melee, with more custom content than Brawl, yet balanced and incredibly fun and addicting to play.
#75BlazeFaiaPosted 2/23/2013 5:00:30 PM
Xenozoa425 posted...
Just gonna put my 2 cents in and see where it goes.

In terms of core gameplay, Melee is indeed better than Brawl. It's faster paced, it's less floaty, there's a high skill ceiling, and there's no random tripping. It feels much smoother and gives you a greater sense of character control than in Brawl. Smash truly is a competitive game at heart, because the main point of the games is to have fun and beat your friends, or the computer. Brawl tries to make it less competitive by throwing in random elements like tripping, removing most "true" combos, and the physics and low gravity make staying alive easy.

However, I believe Brawl > Melee for one, and only one reason: You can softmod Brawl and mold it into literally anything you want, including the injection of Melee's physics, ala Project M. The only limit is the programmer's imagination and will to implement more complex changes and set the previous limit higher. Melee can be softmodded as well, but it's much more complex and restrictive than Brawl softmodding. With Brawl, you can inject an endless amount of characters like Ridley, Mewtwo, and pretty much anything else you can think of. You can make custom movesets for characters and change the stats, such as jump height, run speed, etc. You can import old stages from 64 and Melee, as well as all of Brawl's single player and SSE stages, and even create new stages from scratch in 3D modeling programs. You can change the music to literally anything. And so much more.

With that being said, all 3 games have their own unique flavors, and they are all great games in their own rights. A true Smash fan knows and appreciates this. I also hope Sakurai will take some inspiration from the softmodding community while he's making Smash 4. I would love it to be as fast and dynamic as Melee, with more custom content than Brawl, yet balanced and incredibly fun and addicting to play.

I have to disagree with the feel of Melee as a speed brawler. My fighting style involves darting around the stage, being hard to hit, chipping off percent, mainly in aerial combat. Melee feels heavy and clunky to me I can still play SSB64 and Brawl easily. But Melee is painful to go back to. Nobody feels right.
---
Companion Cube for Brawl!
http://i.imgur.com/tjDSN.png
#76iKhanicPosted 2/23/2013 5:10:14 PM
Brawl wasn't bad, it was just not as fun as melee.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#77ballermat982Posted 2/23/2013 5:15:56 PM
Brawl was a huge letdown for me. I tried my hardest to like it and appreciate it on its own merits, but then I would play Melee again and realize what a disappointing game Brawl is. I have very little hype for the next one.
#78Hejiru206Posted 2/23/2013 5:22:43 PM
HungoverHero777 posted...
Tripping is out, so it already has that going for it.

Where did you hear this?
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. -Mctias
#79Paulf001Posted 2/23/2013 5:25:54 PM
Given that its being made by Namco it should be very different then past games.
#80Xenozoa425Posted 2/23/2013 5:47:41 PM(edited)
BlazeFaia posted...
I have to disagree with the feel of Melee as a speed brawler. My fighting style involves darting around the stage, being hard to hit, chipping off percent, mainly in aerial combat. Melee feels heavy and clunky to me I can still play SSB64 and Brawl easily. But Melee is painful to go back to. Nobody feels right.

That's pretty much how I like to play in general. Although like I said before, I prefer Melee's physics and speed. To me it feels much more fluid and dynamic than Brawl, and I can control my character to a much higher degree. One example would be L-canceling, where you can reduce half the landing lag from aerial attacks, which is a boon for slow and/or heavy characters like Link and Bowser.

Like in this video, for example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAOfGdfCS58

Both of those players are good friends of mine, and they are big fans of Project M like me. In Melee and Brawl, Bowser and Zelda were generally regarded as pretty mediocre characters, but in Project M, with a bit of balancing and implementing Melee's physics, they've become much better characters. Especially Bowser, he is so fun to play as now.