ATTN: People who want a "Mario Generations" kind of game

#1-NotoriousLynxPosted 2/23/2013 3:37:10 PM
We always hear people calling Mario a series of rehashes. Yea, there's a few games, like the New Mario games, but I don't see how you can claim Galaxy is really a rehash of Sunshine.

I see dumb ideas like "Hey guys, wouldn't it be cool if there was a Mario game where each level was based on an already existing Mario game?" being posted all the time. Hell no, that is exactly what we should not want from new Mario games. Galaxy relied too much on nostalgia and really offered little environments, themes, and characters to the series. Now, Galaxy is my favorite 3D Mario game, don't get me wrong, but Sunshine was the last to really be innovative and offered the Mario series a great number of things I listed: Fludd, Delfino, Pinatas.

Sunshine has what I call a very "Sonic" route to design.

We can all agree 3D Sonic games suck, but they do do one thing much better than Mario: innovation. Sonic & the Black Knight combined Sonic's trademark speed with swordsmanship and roleplaying elements iirc and placed Sonic in an Arthurian world. Sonic & the Seven Rings used Middle Eastern influences and had a lot of imagery from Arabian Nights. Even Unleashed was interesting in that it had Sonic turning into a werewolf thing.

What new thing did Super Mario 3D Land do? New power up? Had 2d and 3d worlds?

Sunshine combined Mario's trademark platforming elements with the FLUDD and gave the game a tropical setting. I guess Galaxy was alright in that it gave it a space setting.

Everyone always calls Mario a rehash series but gets excited over crap like "Mario Generations" when that direction would be the most rehash-y thing Nintendo could do.

Personally, I would like to maybe see a Mario game with wild western influences. My favorite platformers tend to have grappling hooks, so maybe a lasso+grappling hook hybrid could be cool. Now this idea probably sounds stupid, but I hope you understand what I'm trying to have you understand.
#2-NotoriousLynx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 3:38:50 PM
Ironically, Sonic has taken a "Mario" route to design in a lot of these recent games where they do rely on nostalgia, such as Sonic Generations, and they've been well received.
#3mjc0961Posted 2/23/2013 3:43:09 PM
-NotoriousLynx posted...
We can all agree 3D Sonic games suck, but they do do one thing much better than Mario: innovation. Sonic & the Black Knight combined Sonic's trademark speed with swordsmanship and roleplaying elements iirc and placed Sonic in an Arthurian world. Sonic & the Seven Rings used Middle Eastern influences and had a lot of imagery from Arabian Nights. Even Unleashed was interesting in that it had Sonic turning into a werewolf thing.

Those aren't innovations, they're just new ideas. Ideas that sucked. Trying new ideas isn't always a good thing, such as when you turn the majority of a game that's supposed to be about high speed platforming into a really crap God of War clone.

Given the choice between "new ideas that make the game suck" and "no new ideas but the game is great", I'll take the second choice every time.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#4-NotoriousLynx(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 3:56:15 PM
mjc0961 posted...
-NotoriousLynx posted...

Those aren't innovations, they're just new ideas. Ideas that sucked. Trying new ideas isn't always a good thing, such as when you turn the majority of a game that's supposed to be about high speed platforming into a really crap God of War clone.

Given the choice between "new ideas that make the game suck" and "no new ideas but the game is great", I'll take the second choice every time.

Those ideas don't have to suck though. Team Sonic is just incompetent.
#5Vegeta1000Posted 2/23/2013 4:04:11 PM
We can all agree 3D Sonic games suck

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Colors, and Generations would like to disagree.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#6NejiHyuga900Posted 2/23/2013 4:28:18 PM(edited)
We can all agree 3D Sonic games suck

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Colors, and Generations would like to disagree.

This. These four games are amazing. Generations and Adventure 2 are my favorite Sonic games of all time and I've been playing Sonic games since I had a Genesis (and I still have my Genesis and most of my games).
---
Xbox 360 Gamertag & Nintendo Network ID: TDPNeji
Steam ID: NejiHyuga900
#7MooglePeruPosted 2/23/2013 5:44:15 PM
Adventure 2 is utter ****.

I always heard about how it was the best game ever, then I actually tried it for the first time this year to see what was all the fuss about. Why would I play that? As a kid, yes, I would have been very excited for it, but this definitely can't pass for my standards today.

THe gameplay is repetitive, everything sans the Sonic and Shadow sections is completely horrible and tedious. And let's not start with the Knuckles levels. My god, the Knuckles levels. Those were absolutely teidous, the more tedium I've forced myself since the WW Figurine Sidequest. The game just bored me to death.

Generations, on the other hand, is just deserving of all the praise.
---
My Backloggery: Only fun games allowed!
http://www.backloggery.com/moogleperu