How's this for a new StarFox?

#1HungoverHero777Posted 2/23/2013 9:11:25 PM
When you travel from planet to planet, it plays like Starfox 64 in that it's on rails, with the occasional "space stage" being free-fly. When you approach the planet, it'll be one of those surface dogfights, also from 64. When you finally land, it becomes a third-person shooter/platformer. 2-player co-op will also be available in all stages, on and offline. And of course, online space dogfights.

Please, no BS like "SF is dead." This is an idea topic.
---
The best gaming group on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/RoosterTeeth/videos?view=0
#2ADHDguitarPosted 2/23/2013 9:13:23 PM
Maybe...

I think that would be a little too formulaic, having the same progression of gameplay modes.

But it would be interesting to see a game that had good rail shooting but also had on-foot gameplay.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#3SegavsCapcomPosted 2/23/2013 9:14:03 PM
Not bad.

I'd prefer traveling from planet to planet from a map, like Ratchet and Clank.

Also, what do you have in mind for ground combat? Assault or Mass Effect?
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#4HungoverHero777(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 9:17:23 PM
ADHDguitar posted...
Maybe...

I think that would be a little too formulaic, having the same progression of gameplay modes.

But it would be interesting to see a game that had good rail shooting but also had on-foot gameplay.

Well obviously the level pattern would mix up occasionally.

@Sega: I haven't played either :P I have, however, played Ratchet and Clank. The on-foot sections would be comparable to that.
---
The best gaming group on YouTube!: http://www.youtube.com/user/RoosterTeeth/videos?view=0
#5ADHDguitarPosted 2/23/2013 9:19:38 PM
SegavsCapcom posted...
Not bad.

I'd prefer traveling from planet to planet from a map, like Ratchet and Clank.

Also, what do you have in mind for ground combat? Assault or Mass Effect?

I'd say ME, but a lot faster. Assault was pretty bad.

I'd say it would have to be a lot more precise than something like ME, to keep the feel of the original SF games.

So, maybe like Ghost Recon, but you have the maneuverability of Assassin's Creed, only faster.

I guess what I'm saying is that the characters would need to be able to run fast.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#6SegavsCapcomPosted 2/23/2013 9:22:47 PM
HungoverHero777 posted...
ADHDguitar posted...
Maybe...

Well obviously the level pattern would mix up occasionally.

@Sega: I haven't played either :P I have, however, played Ratchet and Clank. The on-foot sections would be comparable to that.

Ratchet and Clank style missions, eh? I'm not gonna lie, that sounds fun. As long as the firefights are fast paced and somewhat strategic, though.
---
My sig will never happen, but it would be awesome if it did.
#7FuzzyJelloPosted 2/23/2013 11:25:29 PM
What do you mean by "like Mass Effect"? The full body camera seems more in keeping with Star Fox, and it's not like there aren't several third person shooters that worked from which it could draw.

I agree with most of it, but co-op flight levels sounds difficult because Star Fox is so based around enemy formations, making it difficult to simply throw more enemies on screen to compensate for the second player. Naturally in boss fights and all-range this isn't a problem, since bosses can have shields scaled up and pattern changes to account for two ships.
#8McQwarkPosted 2/24/2013 12:00:20 AM
4 play co-op with everyone doing their own path.

Paths cross like Star Fox normally does when one of your team members has some guy on their tail and you gotta help them out.

Each of your team members can affect the outcome of the mission by doing something or not doing something on their path.

I thought it might be pretty neat for flight missions.
#9Virus66Posted 2/24/2013 1:33:36 AM
So what was wrong with the Assault approach? Aside from the odd on-foot combat, the more open approach to air and land combat was really nice. I think Star Fox can benefit from not being locked into an on-rail segmented game structure
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#10squidgy617Posted 2/24/2013 1:42:02 AM
Virus66 posted...
So what was wrong with the Assault approach? Aside from the odd on-foot combat, the more open approach to air and land combat was really nice. I think Star Fox can benefit from not being locked into an on-rail segmented game structure

This^

I do think they should implement better on-foot combat.

Also, keep the epic Assault multiplayer, but dangit make all of Star Fox and all of Star Wolf playable in it.