I just spent all day playing Other M

#101IcecreamdunwichPosted 2/25/2013 1:15:36 AM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
stargazer1981 posted...
Anne Frank wasn't blind.

Please tell me you're not dumb enough that you couldn't see what I was doing there. I know you're dense, and blindly devoted to a terrible, sacrilegious to the original series, "game", (most likely, I'm assuming, because you're hopelessly obsessed with Japanese culture) but you can't be moronic to boot, can you?

Prove me wrong.

You made a wrong analogy. Just man up to it instead of getting all offensive. Anne Frank was the girl in the Holocaust. You probably meant to say Hellen Keller.

Jesus Christ, you really are THAT dense.

If you look at the original post, I stated "it was a joke"... meaning, if you were sharp enough to catch on, or had actually watched Clerks 2, it was intentionally stated wrong.

For crying out loud, no wonder you like such horrible, sexist, melodramatic schlock (I'm talking about Other M, so you don't get confused again).

Gotta admit I laughed, hard. Glad people are seeing PANDA for what he actually is. But don't worry, he's going to put you on his ignore list now for calling him out.
#102Hawke0Posted 2/25/2013 3:38:20 AM
The story was awful and the gameplay was bad. It's like an action game for three year olds.
---
In an insane world, a sane man must appear insane.
#103Hawke0Posted 2/25/2013 3:42:52 AM
Ian_Kovich posted...
The deleter subplot was just that. A sub plot. I'm actually glad they didn't focus on it as it had little to do with Samus herself.

The Deleter was killing Adam's men. How can you with a straight face say that it's not important, especially given that we're supposed to think that Samus is on somewhat close terms with Anthony? What's worse is that Samus, supposedly one of the strongest bounty hunters in the galaxy, couldn't stop him from killing almost all of them. And if nothing else, this shows just how badly Other M screwed up Samus' character by showing a Galactic Federation grunt feeling confident enough to take her on by himself.

As for Ridley, that can still be attributed to her PTSD

The term 'PTSD' is not brought up once throughout the entire game. Not. Once. Try to imagine playing the game from the perspective of someone either new to the franchise or didn't read up on the lore. This scene makes no sense, given that the only mention of Ridley is one quick mention at the beginning of the game, almost four hours before the scene happens without any form of heads up or foreshadowing.

Even if PTSD were brought up, it doesn't change the fact that Samus fought Ridley a total of six times: once in Metroid, once in Prime, twice in Prime 3, and twice in Super, none of which showed Samus breaking down in front of him.

Before anyone brings up excuses like 'she thought he was dead for good' or 'he was a machine in the Prime games,' note that saying such things shows that you don't know how PTSD works. PTSD can trigger just at the mere thought or mention of the thing the person is afraid of. The fact that she goes up against Ridley even in his purest form on multiple occasions just shows that Samus breaking down now in Other M is nothing more than a pitiful attempt at fleshing out her character.

Look, I get that some people can like the game. I get that people have their guilty pleasures. But don't try to pretend that those that don't like it don't 'get' it. It's a poorly written game with badly fleshed out characters with game mechanics that are specifically designed to be as easy as possible for the player.

Don't believe me? Maybe you should read the Iwata Asks on this game:

"What I was conscious of, therefore, was 'automation'. Instead of forcing the player to use complex button controls, we'd enable them to accomplish many things using just the Wii Remote by 'automating' various actions in the game." -Yoshio Sakamoto

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wii/metroid-other-m/0/1

Other M is a step back in every conceivable way, and if we get another game like it, consider the Metroid franchise dead. Other M only sold after its price was slashed to a measly $10 new less than a year after it was released. Continue to act like there was nothing wrong with the game and Nintendo will have no idea what to do with it.

^This.
---
In an insane world, a sane man must appear insane.
#104IcecreamdunwichPosted 2/25/2013 4:07:02 AM
Yeah, not expecting him to be coming back to this thread anytime soon. Same thing happened last time he made a topic about Other M.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10
#105darkjedilinkPosted 2/25/2013 7:32:45 AM
The Deleter wasn't important because there was no reason for it to exist in the first place, and the game itself didn't treat it as important.

The Deleter (which, first off, is a crappy name to begin with) would have been put on there with GF orders to eliminate everyone. Why would the GF kill everyone instead of just ORDERING THEM TO STAND DOWN BEFORE THEY GOT THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE? It's not like they didn't know they were going there - they wouldn't have been able to get him on the team in the first place if they didn't.

It's just there to artificially distract Samus until they feel like making her actually move the story along. She doesn't even DEAL with the Deleter at all. She never fights him. She doesn't kill him. All he is in the story is a distraction from the story.

Then again, so is Ridley and Sector Zero. That's three substories (all of which we are lead to believe are major) that have NOTHING TO DO WITH THE ACTUAL STORY in any meaningful way. They're tangential at best, and the only one Samus actually has any real interaction in is the Ridley fight, since Samus never even goes INTO Sector Zero.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#106ZBug_Posted 2/25/2013 7:38:25 AM
CSplitter posted...
ukokira1 posted...
wugeezy posted...
The thing I really hated was the explanation for her not using her abilities. Now that was dumb.

This. It was understandable with life endangering bombs but not activating the Varia suit was just stupid

I understand the Varia Suit complaint but I think I understand. You see, even though Samus was cooperating and acting as a member of Adam's team she was still an outsider. There were many things on that ship meant to be left confidential and it was also under Adam's best interest that she not endanger her life more than need be. This could explain Adam's order to "only explore what you can with your current equipment", and not authorizing it until Samus was in enough trouble to justify absolutely needing it.

It was still badly implemented. Other story related thing that took away from the experience:

The Deleter subplot, which could've actually been more interesting than the main plot, was poorly handled.

Adam sacrificed himself on speculation. The metroids -maybe- could not be frozen and the metroid he did freeze did not resist it -probably- because it was young. Again, this could make sense if they implemented it in a better way.

Samus' fear of Ridley was not justifiable even if we don't count the Primes as cannon. She had faced him before 2 times (even more if we count the Primes) and kicked his ass royally. That said, the Ridley boss battle and the music were one of the few things the game got perfectly.

And that's just story related problems.

Don't get me wrong, I bought and finished the game 2 days after launch. I enjoyed it for what it was but it could not reach what made Metroid such a quality franchise because it forgot what Metroid is.

I agree with all of this.
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#107ZBug_Posted 2/25/2013 7:42:13 AM
Icecreamdunwich posted...
Yeah, not expecting him to be coming back to this thread anytime soon. Same thing happened last time he made a topic about Other M.

Maybe he just doesn't want to read hatred and arguments for 10 pages? Just because someone makes a topic, that doesn't make him obligated to deal with all of the annoyances.
---
"I've never in my life wanted to punch a girl like I want to right now" Light Yagami
3DS FC 3995-6522-2067 (PM me so I can add you back)
#108KEN181Posted 2/25/2013 7:48:09 AM
Sorry Samus, you have to enter this room full of lava and other things without your heatshield on.. I'll have to authorize that first for safety reasons

Yeah right... other than that the game was pretty OK
---
Wilf > METROD > Phoenis PAUNCH!!!
Poke D/P Name: Rose FC: 4596 6778 0536
#109P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 8:15:47 AM
stargazer1981 posted...
stargazer1981 posted...
Anne Frank wasn't blind.

Please tell me you're not dumb enough that you couldn't see what I was doing there. I know you're dense, and blindly devoted to a terrible, sacrilegious to the original series, "game", (most likely, I'm assuming, because you're hopelessly obsessed with Japanese culture) but you can't be moronic to boot, can you?

Prove me wrong.

You made a wrong analogy. Just man up to it instead of getting all offensive. Anne Frank was the girl in the Holocaust. You probably meant to say Hellen Keller.

Jesus Christ, you really are THAT dense.

If you look at the original post, I stated "it was a joke"... meaning, if you were sharp enough to catch on, or had actually watched Clerks 2, it was intentionally stated wrong.

For crying out loud, no wonder you like such horrible, sexist, melodramatic schlock (I'm talking about Other M, so you don't get confused again).

That's alright, son. You'll grow out of that immature phase soon enough.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa
#110IcecreamdunwichPosted 2/25/2013 8:47:04 AM
Hey look he came back and attempted to be clever and avoid discussion on a game he supposedly likes!
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerFAQs 1.10