I just spent all day playing Other M

#81darkjedilinkPosted 2/24/2013 7:32:23 PM
BlackPhoenix127 posted...
Then again I think a lot of things about this game are either blown way out of proportion or contrived and sewn together to BS about the game being sexist.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_i.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100

The game is full-on sexist. Get over it.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#82xXDa-KidXxPosted 2/24/2013 7:56:42 PM
I'm pretty sure the Prime series isn't cannon. I don't know why people hate that Other M was linear when the Prime series was too. You guys won't except Panda's opinion but wants him to except yours. That's really the core of what's wrong with people on Gamefaqs.

Remember, everything you dislike another person could like. Don't be jerks about it and accept that hey... not everyone is like you in preference.

For the recorded I loved Other M it had its problems, but I still loved it.
---
NNID: xXDaKidXx
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/DaKidWiiTrailers <--[Updates, Trailers, Reviews, and more!]
#83Ari917Posted 2/24/2013 8:15:29 PM(edited)
Oh great, another Other M topic. Another topic of people making mile long wall o text posts trying to break this game down at every single level to try and find as many supposed 'flaws' as they possibly can just because they didn't like the characterization. What's sad is these so called 'analyses' are asinine at best and just flat out ignorant at worst.

It's a game that has its story and narrative on the forefront and was done as a somewhat experimental new take for the series, of course it's going to be analyzed and critiqued. You may not agree with them but it's silly to call it "asinine" when all people are doing are supporting their opinions. Would you rather that they just say "This game blows!" or "This game is awesome and anyone who says otherwise is dumb" instead?

xXDa-KidXx posted...
I'm pretty sure the Prime series isn't cannon. I don't know why people hate that Other M was linear when the Prime series was too. You guys won't except Panda's opinion but wants him to except yours. That's really the core of what's wrong with people on Gamefaqs.

Game design-wise not really. What the Primes did was that they had you explore and get a feel of your surroundings, you could go anywhere at any time as long as your items permitted it. Even in the cases where the game was pretty linear they did a good job tricking you into thinking that you were discovering something new, same with Fusion to a lesser extent.

Other M doesn't do that, everything is laid out for you to go to. There is no sense of exploration or discovery, you just were told to go somewhere and went there, that's it really. Hell, one game design choice is that the doors lock after you pass a certain point and there's even a game-breaking glitch related to that design choice if you backtrack. The game obviously wants you to stay on the track set, at least with the Primes there's some flexiblity with how much you can explore.
#84DrumguyPosted 2/24/2013 8:01:09 PM
Other M isn't all that bad. I still enjoyed MP more, but still.
---
"I never went to church. I just listened to Led Zeppelin and that was all I needed." - Dave Grohl
#85Mavrick588Posted 2/24/2013 8:10:36 PM
I loved the game, the ridley scene was ridicules, but after that things got back to normal.
---
"Video-games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll"- Shigeru Miyamoto
#86P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 8:17:05 PM
Zero Mission begins with Samus being ordered to infiltrate Zebes to destroy Mother Brain after the GF Failed to do it themselves. In the 2 second long cutscene used in Zero Mission at Ridley's encounter, it zooms in on Samus's Face as Ridley swoops in and the fight starts. She is shot down while leaving the planet and her suit is damaged in the process. After this Samus stumbles upon an abandoned Chozo settlement where she aquires a stronger suit that helps her fight the Pirates more easily as she continues to flee from the planet. The picture at the end depicts her with Old Bird and Grey Voice. After her parents were killed and here home destroyed, she was taken in by Old Bird whom she called Grandpa and considered a close friend. However, Grey Voice and Mother Brain, who was still with the Chozo through Samus's Childhood, considered Samus a weakling. Samus never got close to Grey Voice and her relationship with Old Bird was different from her relationship with Adam.

In Prime 1 Samus was intercepting a distress signal and investigating when she found many dead pirates and their experiments. As she was fleeing the vessel that was about to explode she encountered Ridley and decided to pursue him, but he escaped mainly because Samus lost all her powerups from being thrown into a wall by an explosion. As she landed on Talon IV she discovered some Chozo ruins and opted to fulfill a prophecy that she would be the one to destroy the Worm and Phazon that attacked the settlement. As the settlement explodes, Samus takes off her helmet before going into her ship. There is no mention of what she may be thinking.

In Prime 2, she was ordered by the GF to search and rescue a lost group of soldiers. When she finds the deceased soldiers she gets on one knee to observe the damage done to one of their helmets (you can't even see her eyes). Two logs mention a single soildier who told stories about Samus taking down Zebes single-handedly, however, no other soldiers believe the stories and compare Samus to Santa Claus. When the Luminoth explained to Samus their predicament and that she was the only one who could prevent their extinction due to having acquired a specific item. At the end the bow to her in thanks and she walks by them only waving with her back turned as she walked away.
I would like to mention that it was Sakamoto's decision to make Samus a "Hero" instead of a standard Bounty Hunter as she never takes payment for her work. Retro thought this was weird as it was completely different from what an actual Bounty Hunter is.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa
#87P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 8:17:12 PM
Prime 3 has her hired to work with 3 other hunters to fight off a Pirate invasion. After fleeing from Ridley for awhile while trying to complete her mission she was forced to fight him as he tackled her and broke the floor beneath them. They fought in in freefall before Samus was saved by one of the other Hunters. Dark Samus soon appears and defeats all three hunters easily. She wakes one month later a couple weeks after the other hunters who were already sent on their next missions. After the GF lost communications with them they ordered Samus to complete their missions. As she completes the missions she encounters the other Hunters and is forced to fight them, now corrupted, in self defense. She does not show any emotions upon their deaths. At the end she thinks about meeting the three other Hunters and how they died only to get into her ship without any expression and fly away.

In Metroid 2 she is ordered to exterminate the rest of the Metroids. She found a single Metroid egg and as it hatched the infant Metroid hatched out of the egg and, upon seeing Samus, imprinted on her as its mother. Recalling that she was the only survivor of K-2L, Samus felt compassion for the infant and, going against her orders, took the Metroid Hatchling to her gunship and left the planet.

In Super she had turned the Baby over to the GF in hopes that they would study it to help protect people from future threats (though they opted to use it as a weapon). Having thought she did the right thing she began to leave to get some rest but didn't get far at all before receiving a distress signal from the same station. She tracks Ridley because he has the Baby and plans to give it to Mother Brain which would make all her previous efforts futile. She kills Ridley completely for what she believes to be the last time and then kills Mother thanks to the Baby's intervention. While fleeing Zebes she accidentally encounters some animals and helps them, which reappear in Fusion and help her in return.
---
#88BlackPhoenix127Posted 2/24/2013 8:42:24 PM
darkjedilink posted...
Then again I think a lot of things about this game are either blown way out of proportion or contrived and sewn together to BS about the game being sexist.

Yeah.....you're wrong. That one angry chick on G4 said it was sexist and people ran with it. The only sexist thing is people who say she can't be an ass kicker and sensitive and feminine at the same time. Her not acting like a fratboy doesn't mean she's weak.
---
PSN: Azure-Edge
#89P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 8:51:47 PM
1:Samus doesn't have Motherhood issues, she is sympathetic for orphans because she is one.

2: Samus was raised as a warrior by the Chozo but was shunned as a weakling by all but Old Bird, whom she called Grandpa and considered a close friend. That's different from Adam who was sympathetic for Samus and acted as a role model. She lived with Old Bird from 3 to 14 and immediately left to join the GF after her training was complete and OB gave Samus his approval. She was with Adam until she turned 17 where she left after Adam made the decision to sacrifice his brother to save Samus, and everybody aboard the Station which she disagreed with.

3: Fusion happens after Other M. She takes orders when she has to as shown in every game prior excluding Prime 1, Hunters, and Super.

4: Under the order that she either leave the area or stay and take orders, she opted to stay and work as a member of Adam's team out of both respect and interest in the mission.
5: She considers the deleter a problem that Adam will resolve. The deleter is killed by Melissa shortly after Samus leaves for Sector Zero.

6: Read what I posted previously in this thread

7: After Melissa told Samus of Sector Zero and the Metroids inside, Samus set out to destroy the research inside. Adam told Samus not to knowing she wouldn't be able to do anything about them but Samus did not listen to him and went anyway. Adam shot Samus so that she wouldn't be able to fight back and go inside herself.

8: We watched as a wounded Ridley was killed by a Metroid Queen while hiding away to heal.

9: Samus Protects Madeline from Melissa's onslaught. During the chaos Madeline shoots Melissa with an ice pistol to stop her but she is immediately shot by the GF soldiers. The GF Colonel then threatens Samus for criminal acts and blackmails her if she doesn't cooperate where Anthony steps in and takes Samus and Madeline thanks to his superior orders that were still in effect. If Samus was not there, Ridley would have been fully reborn and released, all the 07 Platoon would have died, MB would have succeeded and Adam would not have known about Sector 0.

10: The Metroids that had been cloned the first time were killed when Adam sacrificed himself and Samus killed the last Queen. The soldiers that salvaged the bottle ship had retrieved the Metroid DNA unbeknownst to Samus and cloned the Metroids again. You'd think they would have learned from their mistake the first time cloning failed but the did it again which is honestly surprising.

11: Subjective

12: There was exploration, though it was toned down quite a bit. I wouldn't call it a generic action title anyway given it's still an Action Adventure and a generic action title is level based and focuses entirely on physical challenges such as fights and QTE.

13: The use of DPad was supposed to be reminiscent of the older 2D titles.

14: I don't see a problem with that.

15:
---
#90darkjedilinkPosted 2/24/2013 9:04:46 PM
darkjedilink posted...

Yeah.....you're wrong. That one angry chick on G4 said it was sexist and people ran with it. The only sexist thing is people who say she can't be an ass kicker and sensitive and feminine at the same time. Her not acting like a fratboy doesn't mean she's weak.

Dude. Read the article.

She isn't being "sensitive and feminine." She's being slutty and submissive to an abusive man, meanwhile the game is telling us that's how she's supposed to be.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie