To those who say Nintendo is Kiddy

#21CyricsServantPosted 2/24/2013 9:19:21 AM
dancing_cactuar posted...
CyricsServant posted...
TheMisterManGuy posted...
dancing_cactuar posted...
SychinLegacy posted...
I don't get how anyone considers the original Pikmin kiddy. Guy crashes on a hostile alien planet, rocket ship torn apart, and is facing certain death in 30 days alone and without his family knowing he's in danger. Put yourself in Olimar's shoes. That's terrifying.

Because the pikmin and other animals on the planet are colors other than brown, olimar doesn't swear all the time, and there is no blood at all.

Doesn't change the fact that Pikmin in concept is a very depressing game once you realize it's essentially about sacrificing innocent creatures for your own benifit.

And Pokemon is really about elementary school dropouts and cock/dog fighting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGkUBmBm8OY

Now THAT was disturbing. :O

Lol. I'll never look at Kirby the same way ever again.
#22STE573Posted 2/24/2013 9:22:02 AM
Why do you care? Does it affect your enjoyment of the games?

Nintendo is the youth centric one, get over it, it has been for a long time now and will continue to be for a time to come.

It works for Nintendo, all of it's best franchises that sell bucket loads are child friendly with an art aesthetic and themes to match.

The PS3 has Uncharted and God of War. 360 has Halo and Gears. Nintendo has Mario and Zelda.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)
#23CranberryPSOPosted 2/24/2013 9:23:41 AM
If Kirby is kiddy than I don't want to grow up. I do love Kirby.

Nintendo's core franchises are aimed at being family friendly. Nintendo likes to present themselves as a family friendly and child friendly company. But they most definitly do have more mature games as well.

Nintendo is a console for anyone. There are games for all types of gamers available on it.
---
Best quest to fight tons of Canadians really fast? ~HaienLai
Topics won: 2
#24CyricsServantPosted 2/24/2013 9:27:29 AM(edited)
CyricsServant posted...
Nintendo's still a bit kiddy, but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying their games.

Those who argue the big N doesn't intentionally target younger demographics are, in my opinion, just fooling themselves. They need to stop feeling insecure and just play what they enjoy.

The thing is, I never denyed Nintendo targets kids. They do target kids, but they also target teens & adults.

I can appreciate that, and yeah, Nintendo does try to cast a wide net (now more so than 15 years ago).

They're still very careful about maintaining their family friendly image though, which is why you'll never see a game like Captain Rainbow come State-side. I even have my doubts if we'll ever see another Fatal Frame released in the U.S.

The humor and presentation in their games is also (usually) more geared towards children. For example, I can still enjoy a game like Kirby's Epic Yarn for its gameplay, but its abundantly clear to me that I'm not the target audience for its humor and presentation. Those are aspects of the game that detract from the experience for me, not enhance it, and I feel that has more to do with my age than anything else.
#25TheMisterManGuy(Topic Creator)Posted 2/24/2013 9:28:30 AM
STE573 posted...

Nintendo is the youth centric one, get over it, it has been for a long time now and will continue to be for a time to come.

It works for Nintendo, all of it's best franchises that sell bucket loads are child friendly with an art aesthetic and themes to match.

The PS3 has Uncharted and God of War. 360 has Halo and Gears. Nintendo has Mario and Zelda.

People keep missing the point, I never said Nintendo wasn't family friendly. I was pointing out examples of dark themes in Nintendo games. All because Nintendo lacks games with the M rating that doesn't mean they're childish. My point is, games don't have to have on screen buckets of blood, or macho tuff guys swearing every 5 seconds to have mature themes. And yes, I understand a game can be E rated & still be enjoyable. Klonoa is a perfect example.
#26Noke0Posted 2/24/2013 9:31:46 AM
Throwing labels on consoles is bad. Just enjoy the consoles for the sole purpose of the games you want to enjoy. Every game system has a video game for everyone, I am sure of it. If not, it's not going to bother me.

Kiddy or not, most people who think people play games are "kiddy". It's just like I said at the beginning. Throwing labels around like that shouldn't exist period.
---
Nintendo ID - oBluEx ; GT: oBluEx
Currently Playing: Many PC, PS 1-2, Xbox, Nintendo and various handheld games.
#27Striker667Posted 2/24/2013 9:35:05 AM
Have any of those people:
A) Looked in the mirror?
B)Used a headset in there games?
I deal with more High Pitch voices and "Horse PARTS Pictures" on the other consoles then on Nintendo. I for one as an Aging gamer find Nintendo community more mature as a whole. Truth is the Kids are playing the other systems and thatís just fact. Next time you play an FPS and some kid "teabags" you, remember that people call Nintendo the kiddie systems.
#28LUlGIPosted 2/24/2013 9:39:41 AM
Striker667 posted...
Have any of those people:
A) Looked in the mirror?
B)Used a headset in there games?
I deal with more High Pitch voices and "Horse PARTS Pictures" on the other consoles then on Nintendo. I for one as an Aging gamer find Nintendo community more mature as a whole. Truth is the Kids are playing the other systems and thatís just fact. Next time you play an FPS and some kid "teabags" you, remember that people call Nintendo the kiddie systems.

Congrats, you brought up a point that has nothing to do with the actual console/games themselves.
#29CyricsServantPosted 2/24/2013 9:46:37 AM(edited)
Striker667 posted...
Truth is the Kids are playing the other systems and thatís just fact.

Kids play everything. I don't think anyone is denying that. The point is that some games are specifically designed to appeal to children more so than adults, and others aren't. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is game anyone can pick up and play, but that doesn't mean it was intended for all audiences. Imagine Party Babyz is a game anyone can pick up and play but, again, that doesn't mean it was designed without a specific target demographic in mind.

I don't see why people get so offended by the kiddy label. If a game's designed first and foremost to appeal to kids, it's kiddy. Case closed. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy it. Kiddy aesthetics or plot points never stopped me from enjoying a game like Kirby or Dark Cloud 2. I don't know why some gamers obsess over this so much.

And I also don't know why some argue Nintendo was never "kiddy." Even if you don't think they are now, there was a time when they were extremely heavy handed with censorship (e.g. converting blood into sweat in Mortal Kombat, removing crosses from Castlevania due to their religious connotations, etc.)

People just need to make peace with the fact that Nintendo makes gameplay everyone can enjoy, but generally crafts worlds and plots with a younger audience in mind.
#30STE573Posted 2/24/2013 9:46:59 AM
STE573 posted...

People keep missing the point, I never said Nintendo wasn't family friendly. I was pointing out examples of dark themes in Nintendo games. All because Nintendo lacks games with the M rating that doesn't mean they're childish. My point is, games don't have to have on screen buckets of blood, or macho tuff guys swearing every 5 seconds to have mature themes. And yes, I understand a game can be E rated & still be enjoyable. Klonoa is a perfect example.

Well if your topic was simply to point out that some Nintendo games have an M rating don't you consider that to be a little bit condescending? Most of us here are gamers and fans of Nintendo, we are aware that the software library is varied, as it is bound to be. To be quite honest I don't see Nintendo as Kiddy, I see them as accessible to casual gamers, which at times is a detriment to the games, particularly with the Wii.

Most people would agree that the best software for the Wii was a combination of 3 things- First Party, Established IP and simply accessible. And it is that is what sells and sadly the M games are ignored and put on the back burner in favour of more profitable games. I believe this results in there being much more games that could be seen as kiddy and few that carry the M rating or even having a deep story, because casual gamers aren't interested in that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is it is the direction and the quantity of the software that sells that gives Nintendo the image they have. It's not a bad thing and I personally wouldn't have it any other way.
---
Im British!
GT- x STE 90 x, PSN ID- X-STE-90-X NNID- XSTE90X- currently playing Forza Horizon (360) Xcom (360) Gravity Rush (Vita) Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)