Wii U owners must understand that subscription fees are great thing for mmorpgs

#1xenosaga123Posted 2/24/2013 1:32:01 PM
Yeah if it was FTP, mmorpgs like Dragon Quest X would not be nearly as great.

Many mmorpg discussions bring up the fee subject, but overall, the positives outnumber any rants about it.

"Free to play is basically the death of quality for MMORPGs. It's all about reducing the game to it's most basic state, focusing on the addictive qualities and steering you towards paying. Free-to-play is like crack.

Without a guaranteed influx of money, the developer is forced to put in the least amount of time and work necessary to maximize profits. It just needs to get the job done, without a lot of room for what makes those games special in the first place. Where's the incentive to make ANYthing awesome for free? It's not like you're going to pay them for it... so why not get you hooked then steer you into the cash shop.

As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Same goes for F2P and quality, support, creativity, etc. There's a whoooole lotta trash out there thanks to that free to play model.

I don't get why it's so ridiculous to pay per month for a high quality game you like. It is a service, a never ending game, something fun you want to be a part of. Like anything else, you can pay to continue. Ongoing support, constant game updates, never ending content.... Unlike a game you pay $60 bucks for once (then another 60 in DLC?), play for 10 hours, and shelf.
It's a service, like electricity, website membership, or your cell phone.... "

Now I wonder if the broke people who whine about MMOs having monthly fees will understand this...

besides a good MMO will save you money... when I played FFXI.. i bought other new games when they came out but never played them because I was too busy playing FFXI.. for example I had disgaea 1 and star ocean 3 on US launch date and never played them until 2008 because all my gaming was consumed by FFXI..

so if I coulda resisted the urge to buy new games (since i wouldnt play em anyway).. Id say 15 bucks month is a LOT cheaper than 50 bucks a month on a new game every month."

"Exactly..

It all depends on how you look at it.
With an MMO (when I played FFXI for 5+ years), I generally don't buy as many games as I would if I wasn't playing it.
$144 a year, versus what I normally spend on new games, depending on how many releases that I want, $300+.

Plus say you drop $20 for an evening at the movies once a month, and that's 2 hours or so of entertainment, for $12 you get 24 hours of entertainment that's always on.
It costs money to maintain the servers, supply constant updates and patches, expansions, etc.

They've lost however much money pretty much remaking it from the ground up, they do need to recoup their costs."

Yea no matter what MMORPG it is, even Dragon Quest X is better with subscription fee and can provide much greater quality support and epicness on Wii U gaming community.
#2ADHDguitarPosted 2/24/2013 1:33:39 PM
F2P is a scam.

LoL is the only F2P game that isn't.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#3TheTrueNubPosted 2/24/2013 1:38:45 PM
For the most part a F2P MMO is an MMO not worth playing.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png
#4Starwars4JPosted 2/24/2013 1:42:22 PM
Ah yes..."free to play is like crack"

Unlike the reputation the subscription-based World of Warcraft has garnered
---
What I can't get over is how she ripped one testicle off..~Frogstir
I can't read your topics without expecting Bel Air now.~KensaiBlade
#5xoftheuniversePosted 2/24/2013 1:42:36 PM
What is this BS? Heres an idea charge me a normal amount for a game and or system that I can use online freely as I please or shove it. I pay 55$ a month for my internet already, not to mention the electric bill that powers it, amongst other things. Anyone who pays a subscription fee for playing a game online, is a sucker.
---
Sex is good, 3DS is better.
My gaming videos => http://www.youtube.com/user/xoftheuniverse
#6TheTrueNubPosted 2/24/2013 1:43:35 PM
xoftheuniverse posted...
What is this BS? Heres an idea charge me a normal amount for a game and or system that I can use online freely as I please or shove it. I pay 55$ a month for my internet already, not to mention the electric bill that powers it, amongst other things. Anyone who pays a subscription fee for playing a game online, is a sucker.

You must have no idea what an MMO is.

It's a completely different beast. You're not paying for playing online. You're paying for a constant stream of new content.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png
#7DiscostewSMPosted 2/24/2013 1:44:59 PM
Honestly, I saw FTP in the first line of the post, and was somewhat confused, even though that is technically the correct way to abbreviate it. Too used to F2P.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#8aryanbrarPosted 2/24/2013 1:52:41 PM
ADHDguitar posted...
F2P is a scam.

LoL is the only F2P game that isn't.

well world of tanks is also not a scam either.
#9P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/24/2013 1:55:10 PM
What about games made under a P2P model that change to F2P later?
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa
#10IcedEarthaholicPosted 2/24/2013 2:00:52 PM
I understand that, hence why I don't play them.
---
Want to help bring Fatal Frame Deep Crimson Butterfly to NA?Join Operation Zero https://www.facebook.com/pages/Operation-Zero/131582506953973