What's the worse metroid game?

#91PatriotAIPosted 2/25/2013 5:22:17 AM
00bularn00bular posted...
What's the worse metroid game?

Worse than what TC?
#92darkjedilinkPosted 2/25/2013 5:23:59 AM
strongo9 posted...
Anybody who says Other M is dead wrong. The original Metroid and Prime Hunters are both terrible. Other M is alright.

Every word of this post is a sacrilege.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#93AkaneJonesPosted 2/25/2013 6:00:28 AM
I'm confused with the Metroid 2 people. Yes the enemies have wonky AI, and you can waste a lot of missiles on higher metroids because you can only hit the weak spot, the body blocks them. But what do you expect, it's Gameboy. The main issue with the map and design is that it overlaps itself. That's the only true issue, room design is actually an improvement over Metroid. You have saves, and for the most part if you know where you are you will not have the exact same rooms.

In the first game you would literately have the same shaft duplicated all over the map. Metroid 2 was actually designed smarter so one big open cavern looks different from another. Yes the Metroid fight rooms are the same but those are usually off different sides of a main shaft that is different. Monochromality might be an issue to some, but if you pay attention to enemies ans room generally you don't get lost.

The Lack of a Map is usually the killer of both to most people. But it's easy to see the sequential improvement they made from the first. Out side enemy AI, the game is actually better.
#94elheberPosted 2/25/2013 7:52:37 AM
00bularn00bular posted...
I'm playing through Metroid Prime right now and it's kind of fun. I might play more games from this series so is there anything I should avoid?

Honestly, asking what's the worst Metroid game is like asking who's the ugliest Playboy centerfold. I mean, there is an ugliest, but out of that lineup she's still very hot.

Other M was the worst IMO, but it's still a very good game.
---
"A closet intellectual, he acts dumb to impress women."
| 3DS: Ulysses | PSN: Riot_Guy |
#95IngSlayerPosted 2/25/2013 8:10:54 AM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/lb_i.php?lb_id=13373815860B43920100
---
Sedix: Baffling Artist
#96Vegeta1000Posted 2/25/2013 8:48:47 AM
Can people please stop mentioning the original Metroid? Games are always going to look dated due to advancing technology. However, a good game will always be good. Metroid I is still a good game. The worst Metroid is easily Other M.
---
IT'S ME AUSTIN!!!!!
#97LUlGIPosted 2/25/2013 9:18:33 AM(edited)
Why are people hating on the original....

Because in all honesty, it's just not a very good game. It may have been good back in the 80s.

I cannot believe I spent 5 bucks on this game in the Wii's Virtual Console, and honestly, it was my second experience with the Metroid series (First being prime). I was absolutely shocked when I heard that the original Kid Icarus and Metroid 1 were made by the same people, because how can Metroid be so bad when Kid Icarus was so excellent? But hey, that's my opinion, you probably want to know the flaws I don't like.

It's not the core gameplay I hate about this game, it's the god awful mechanics. I know, I know, it's a very old game, but so is SMB, LoZ, and Mega Man, and I find all of those much more enjoyable than Metroid 1.

Not only are you walking through the smallest tunnels and corridors, but for some reason, devs thought it should be filled with enemies that not only are abundant, but they respawn like hell. You're rarely going to not get hit because of this. I've stood for more than 2 minutes shooting constantly at an enemy who constantly respawns from a pipe thing. When I finally jump over, something form the ceiling hits me. What a surprise. Dying? Not a good idea, because now, I'll have to find a good farming point to regain health, since I'm left with 30 hp only. Look at that tedium. Enemy placement is absolutely horrible. I cannot express how many times I actually got hit by something as soon as Samus walks into the room. That. Shouldn't. Happen. Hell, sometimes, an enemy will FOLLOW me into another room, and I get hit while Samus is in between doors, which sometimes sends me back to the previous room again. Sometimes you can get hit before even getting out of the door. Also, is it me, or does Ridley completely stop trying to attack you after his first barrage of fireballs? And maybe it's just me, but finding the powerups so that I actually can stomp these awful enemies with ease is annoying, because some areas look SO similar to one another, that it makes it more annoying to explore. I know, Metroid is all about exploration, and that I should find the paths on my own, but a map doesn't exactly ruin any sense of exploration, now does it? Super Metroid, which completely stomps the original in quality, still had me getting a little lost or stuck sometimes, but it was also forgiving because it had a map and areas didn't exactly look like copy/paste areas. Hell, I didn't even grow up with Super Metroid, I just started and beat it around the end of last month, but I loved every single moment (Well, except for Mother Brain, but the 2nd phase of the fight was great). It was good enough to show me places to go, yet strict enough to let me get there on my own, and that allowed me to actually use my head and attempt at reaching places or items even without the proper items. Zero Mission? Not as good as Super Metroid, but was a MUCH better attempt at Metroid 1. They fixed basically all the issues I had with the first game (Mother brain is still damn annoying, but like I said earlier...)

There you have it, folks. Unless you've already beaten the game and still enjoy it, there's absolutely no reason to play this game. Just go for Zero Mission instead, people. If you want the best 2D Metroid experience, definitely go play Super, you'll have no regrets.
#98P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/25/2013 8:59:13 AM
Vegeta1000 posted...
Can people please stop mentioning the original Metroid? Games are always going to look dated due to advancing technology. However, a good game will always be good. Metroid I is still a good game. The worst Metroid is easily Other M.

I didn't like the original Metroid back then either. It's just like "Bap! Here you go! Run around until you find out what to do!" There's no direction or anything. At least Zelda had people give you hints, even if they were gibberish.

And the worst Metroid is subjective but Other M doesn't fall into that category in either sales or ratings.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa
#99P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/25/2013 9:02:08 AM
LUlGI posted...
Why are people hating on the original....

Because in all honesty, it's just not a very good game. It may have been good back in the 80s.

I cannot I spent 5 bucks on this game in the Wii's Virtual Console, and honestly, it was my second experience with the Metroid series (First being prime). I was absolutely shocked when I heard that the original Kid Icarus and Metroid 1 were made by the same people, because how can Metroid be so bad when Kid Icarus was so excellent? But hey, that's my opinion, you probably want to know the flaws I don't like.

It's not the core gameplay I hate about this game, it's the god awful mechanics. I know, I know, it's a very old game, but so is SMB, LoZ, and Mega Man, and I find all of those much more enjoyable than Metroid 1.

Not only are you walking through the smallest tunnels and corridors, but for some reason, devs thought it should be filled with enemies that not only are abundant, but they respawn like hell. You're rarely going to not get hit because of this. I've stood for more than 2 minutes shooting constantly at an enemy who constantly respawns from a pipe thing. When I finally jump over, something form the ceiling hits me. What a surprise. Dying? Not a good idea, because now, I'll have to find a good farming point to regain health, since I'm left with 30 hp only. Look at that tedium. Enemy placement is absolutely horrible. I cannot express how many times I actually got hit by something as soon as Samus walks into the room. That. Shouldn't. Happen. Hell, sometimes, an enemy will FOLLOW me into another room, and I get hit while Samus is in between doors, which sometimes sends me back to the previous room again. Sometimes you can get hit before even getting out of the door. Also, is it me, or does Ridley completely stop trying to attack you after his first barrage of fireballs? And maybe it's just me, but finding the powerups so that I actually can stomp these awful enemies with ease is annoying, because some areas look SO similar to one another, that it makes it more annoying to explore. I know, Metroid is all about exploration, and that I should find the paths on my own, but a map doesn't exactly ruin any sense of exploration, now does it? Super Metroid, which completely stomps the original in quality, still had me getting a little lost or stuck sometimes, but it was also forgiving because it had a map and areas didn't exactly look like copy/paste areas. Hell, I didn't even grow up with Super Metroid, I just started and beat it around the end of last month, but I loved every single moment (Well, except for Mother Brain, but the 2nd phase of the fight was great). It was good enough to show me places to go, yet strict enough to let me get there on my own, and that allowed me to actually use my head and attempt at reaching places or items even without the proper items. Zero Mission? Not as good as Super Metroid, but was a MUCH better attempt at Metroid 1. They fixed basically all the issues I had with the first game (Mother brain is still damn annoying, but like I said earlier...)

There you have it, folks. Unless you've already beaten the game and still enjoy it, there's absolutely no reason to play this game. Just go for Zero Mission instead, people. If you want the best 2D Metroid experience, definitely go play Super, you'll have no regrets.

Bravo
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa
#100rafiiillaPosted 2/25/2013 9:28:39 AM
juiceman4519 posted...
Darth Gecko posted...
Prime 2 - had a great intro but I hated taking constant damage for exploring the dark zone. I stopped playing when I reached the Emperor.

And your energy would regenerate way too slow in the safe zones, it was so bad I loathed playing the game.

I actually liked these things, also the fact that all 3 unlockable beams needed recharging. Also liked a lot how they played the light/dark plot

Overall, maybe I'm one of the few that liked Prime 2 over Prime
---
NNID: rafiiilla