Cliffy B claims Industy in turmoil, Nintendo to go software only

#11DDP886Posted 2/25/2013 1:39:23 PM
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
Yeah, software only, that makes sense. Except it doesn't because Nintendo will never go software only.

They will be by 2020
---
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds = Spiritual Liberation
LETS GO: NYRangers; Bring this cup back to where it belongs
#12Hejiru206Posted 2/25/2013 1:39:40 PM
I wanted to go warn Iwata about what Cliffy B said, but I couldn't climb up the huge pile of money he was sitting on.
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. -Mctias
#13squatch22Posted 2/25/2013 1:41:14 PM
DDP886 posted...
Yeah, software only, that makes sense. Except it doesn't because Nintendo will never go software only.

They will be by 2020

Reggie thinks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-7Alm9P-eA
---
Dog posted: I know I have bias...
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#14Virus66(Topic Creator)Posted 2/25/2013 1:41:14 PM
Iwata: *laughs*
---
PSN: JVir NNID: Jayvir
These days, all the kids are playing M rated games while the adults are lining up for Pokemon. Which game is a kid's game now?
#15darkjedilinkPosted 2/25/2013 1:48:52 PM
For someone who was at the head of a very large company very recently, he certainly has no business sense if he thinks a company with $11 Billion in the bank, no debt and a lot of exclusive games is going to go software-only because one country didn't buy a lot of their consoles in one month.

Especially when that one month was part of a two-and-a-half month period of time where Nintendo sold over 3 million units.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#16BogePosted 2/25/2013 1:54:12 PM
Nintendo should go software only. For some reason developers just won't make games for Nintendo systems anymore. They'd certainly make a ton more money just making software.
---
Punctuation goes a long way for comprehension.
#17jon davisPosted 2/25/2013 1:54:29 PM

I bet Sega fans said the exact same thing at some point....
---
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.
#18Enigma149Posted 2/25/2013 2:11:43 PM
jon davis posted...

You're probably right. Except Sega was actually facing some financial difficulties, and had never really had a runaway success...or any success, really. The Master System didn't sell well; the Genesis only sold really well before the Super Nintendo came out; the Sega CD, 32X, GameGear, and Nomad all flopped; the Saturn, while great for 2D, didn't stand a chance in the 3D gaming market, and while the Dreamcast was most certainly ahead of its time, by that point Sega was pretty much done for.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is profitable (which is more than you can say for one of their competitors), is just coming off of their best-selling console and handheld, managed to, despite everyone's predictions, make a successful stand-alone gaming handheld (albeit with a price drop), and has a considerable amount of assets in case anything does go horribly wrong.

On the other hand, I do agree with Cliffy B on one thing - the industry is certainly in turmoil, perhaps moreso than when the 1983-85 crash happened. Remember - that crash was largely limited to the United States and, to a lesser extent, Canada. While we're not necessarily at the start of another crash, the turmoil the industry is facing now seems to affect Europe, Australia, and the smaller markets as well, and were it not for the 3DS's massive success there, Japan would be right there with them.
---
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22
#19Hejiru206Posted 2/25/2013 2:21:17 PM
Boge posted...
They'd certainly make a ton more money just making software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii#Sales
---
Yeah, that's a problem games had back then. You actually had to get good at them. -Mctias
#20jon davisPosted 2/25/2013 3:15:18 PM
Enigma149 posted...
jon davis posted...

You're probably right. Except Sega was actually facing some financial difficulties, and had never really had a runaway success...or any success, really. The Master System didn't sell well; the Genesis only sold really well before the Super Nintendo came out; the Sega CD, 32X, GameGear, and Nomad all flopped; the Saturn, while great for 2D, didn't stand a chance in the 3D gaming market, and while the Dreamcast was most certainly ahead of its time, by that point Sega was pretty much done for.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is profitable (which is more than you can say for one of their competitors), is just coming off of their best-selling console and handheld, managed to, despite everyone's predictions, make a successful stand-alone gaming handheld (albeit with a price drop), and has a considerable amount of assets in case anything does go horribly wrong.

On the other hand, I do agree with Cliffy B on one thing - the industry is certainly in turmoil, perhaps moreso than when the 1983-85 crash happened. Remember - that crash was largely limited to the United States and, to a lesser extent, Canada. While we're not necessarily at the start of another crash, the turmoil the industry is facing now seems to affect Europe, Australia, and the smaller markets as well, and were it not for the 3DS's massive success there, Japan would be right there with them.

The chance is always there though.
---
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.