Cliffy B claims Industy in turmoil, Nintendo to go software only

#21abbyhitterPosted 2/25/2013 3:18:04 PM
Who the heck is Cliffy B?
---
abbyhaxxor<3
I always rush here to tell GameFAQs my problems!
#22jon davisPosted 2/25/2013 3:25:12 PM
abbyhitter posted...
Who the heck is Cliffy B?

Former Epic Games design director.
---
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.
#23canton kidPosted 2/25/2013 3:31:22 PM
since you find it necessary to post the same link thats 3 topics down... ill repost my reply from that thread

"i think the TC is a guy that dosnt know how to read an article, and clearly trying to start something

this is what the article says " I think Nintendo could possibly be faced with the situation of becoming a company that only makes software moving forward."

could possibly, not "gonna loose"....its true they could possibly, so could anyone if their system bombs sony or microsoft are in the same boat

infact the article goes on to praise nintendo "but Sony is positioning the PlayStation 4 as a developer-friendly machine open to alternative business models, and independent developers say Nintendo has made similar strides with the Wii U"

not great praise but clearly thinks theyre on the right step

...and here people are getting their panties in a bunch, "OMG if nintendo does something wrong everyone blasts them" and whatever else was written above"

and to add... the industry is in certain trouble, but not the big 3... more like the 3rd parties

i think we should be going largely digital... games like silent hill and sleeping dogs dont do great but are still pretty good games.... if the budgets wernt so huge then less companies would go under
---
psn/wiiu: flyingdragon_903
3ds: 0259-0302-8546
#24darkjedilinkPosted 2/25/2013 3:41:22 PM
jon davis posted...
Enigma149 posted...
jon davis posted...
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
Yeah, software only, that makes sense. Except it doesn't because Nintendo will never go software only.

I bet Sega fans said the exact same thing at some point....

You're probably right. Except Sega was actually facing some financial difficulties, and had never really had a runaway success...or any success, really. The Master System didn't sell well; the Genesis only sold really well before the Super Nintendo came out; the Sega CD, 32X, GameGear, and Nomad all flopped; the Saturn, while great for 2D, didn't stand a chance in the 3D gaming market, and while the Dreamcast was most certainly ahead of its time, by that point Sega was pretty much done for.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is profitable (which is more than you can say for one of their competitors), is just coming off of their best-selling console and handheld, managed to, despite everyone's predictions, make a successful stand-alone gaming handheld (albeit with a price drop), and has a considerable amount of assets in case anything does go horribly wrong.

On the other hand, I do agree with Cliffy B on one thing - the industry is certainly in turmoil, perhaps moreso than when the 1983-85 crash happened. Remember - that crash was largely limited to the United States and, to a lesser extent, Canada. While we're not necessarily at the start of another crash, the turmoil the industry is facing now seems to affect Europe, Australia, and the smaller markets as well, and were it not for the 3DS's massive success there, Japan would be right there with them.

The chance is always there though.

The chance is always there that you'll get away scott-free with murder you committed on live television and confessed to afterward, too.

Nintendo going software-only within the next thirty years is about that likely.
---
Gaming is like a pair of boobs - Sony and Microsoft fight over whos boobs look more realistic, while Nintendo is about having fun with them - Walkiethrougie
#25canton kidPosted 2/25/2013 3:42:40 PM
and is the industry not in turmoil? games cost upwards of $20 million to make, retail for $60+

sales of games have really high highs and really low lows...

theres pretty much a new developer going under atleast once a month

theres little retail space for a mid tear game such as silent hill or even higher like dmc (sales were not near what capcom hoped)

so yea.... but he didnt claim nintendo to go software only
---
psn/wiiu: flyingdragon_903
3ds: 0259-0302-8546
#26jon davisPosted 2/25/2013 3:45:48 PM
darkjedilink posted...
jon davis posted...
Enigma149 posted...
jon davis posted...
BeanBeanKingdom posted...
Yeah, software only, that makes sense. Except it doesn't because Nintendo will never go software only.

I bet Sega fans said the exact same thing at some point....

You're probably right. Except Sega was actually facing some financial difficulties, and had never really had a runaway success...or any success, really. The Master System didn't sell well; the Genesis only sold really well before the Super Nintendo came out; the Sega CD, 32X, GameGear, and Nomad all flopped; the Saturn, while great for 2D, didn't stand a chance in the 3D gaming market, and while the Dreamcast was most certainly ahead of its time, by that point Sega was pretty much done for.

Nintendo, on the other hand, is profitable (which is more than you can say for one of their competitors), is just coming off of their best-selling console and handheld, managed to, despite everyone's predictions, make a successful stand-alone gaming handheld (albeit with a price drop), and has a considerable amount of assets in case anything does go horribly wrong.

On the other hand, I do agree with Cliffy B on one thing - the industry is certainly in turmoil, perhaps moreso than when the 1983-85 crash happened. Remember - that crash was largely limited to the United States and, to a lesser extent, Canada. While we're not necessarily at the start of another crash, the turmoil the industry is facing now seems to affect Europe, Australia, and the smaller markets as well, and were it not for the 3DS's massive success there, Japan would be right there with them.

The chance is always there though.

The chance is always there that you'll get away scott-free with murder you committed on live television and confessed to afterward, too.

Nintendo going software-only within the next thirty years is about that likely.

Lol as if anything you say matters!
---
Strength is the only thing that matters in this world, everything else is just a delusion for the weak.