More than 50% of Gfaqs things Nintendo might become software only...

#61VideoGameBlitzPosted 2/26/2013 9:11:56 AM
DOWN-SIZE!!!
---
Not changing until a FFVI(6) remake is released 5/21/10
#62Cable_mvc2Posted 2/26/2013 9:17:51 AM
The Wii U isn't going to be nearly enough to put Nintendo down. But I just dislike these risks they take with "gimmicky" hardware. Its so easy to make something that will just flop and so difficult to make something that appeals to what people want, like the Wii did. Combine that with declining handheld consoles and I don't like their future. Its not to say they can't do it, but with the margin of error being so small for them Its going to be very difficult.
#63Hudsucker20XXPosted 2/26/2013 9:19:38 AM
I thought I read somewhere, back when people were asking this question a decade ago in the Gamecube days, that Nintendo had a war chest where they were holding at least a billion dollars of LIQUID CASH.

Did they somehow lose all that in the Wii years?
---
"Grumble grumble..." (level 7)
#64MasterLink2012Posted 2/26/2013 9:19:55 AM
Beatperson14 posted...
Nintendead

Microsucker.
#65Cable_mvc2Posted 2/26/2013 9:20:10 AM
Redjoker777 posted...
Cable_mvc2 posted...
I think there's no question they will. They can't take the massive hits of poor sales like Sony or Microsoft could . Nintendo is a much smaller company that thrives off strictly its gaming consoles.

The handheld market is slowing down and is only going to get worse. A couple of poor selling major consoles would knock them right out, especially when you consider the massive risks they take trying to figure out and innovate new ways to play that might not pan out.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a possibility is just a fool in denial.

The handheld market is slowing? Really? The DS was one of the best selling systems ever, just behind the PS2 in some areas and ahead of it in others. The 3DS has picked up and is doing very well right now. You do realize pokemon X/Y is coming out soon, so thats another huge handheld surge by itself.

Nintendo going software only is always a possibility, but not a likely one. They would go handheld only before that happened. Not to mention it took sega years of poor decision making and wasting money to get knocked out. So far we have not seen complete and total bad business from Nintendo.

No handheld console will ever sell at the rate the DS did. Those days are over. Smart Phones and Ipods are taking a very large chunk of that market away.
#66MetroidJunkiePosted 2/26/2013 9:22:48 AM
GAMER_X_REVIVAL posted...

We're in a global recession, and they ignored that and thought they could go a little too far on the cheap and greedy end. Theres a reason tons of people in the industry are saying the company will probably or should probably just go software only, and that the hardware is doomed. It isn't a conspiracy against nintendo, these people just have the common sense that most people here do not.

I would be remiss if I didn't point out that, in a global recession, people have less to spend. That places the Ps4 at a disadvantage because they'll want the solution that's cheaper. If anything, smartphone and PC games could be more of a threat to the Wii U than the Ps4 because they're cheap and smartphone games ARE getting better.
#67BlackPhoenix127Posted 2/26/2013 9:24:54 AM
Cable_mvc2 posted...
Redjoker777 posted...
Cable_mvc2 posted...
I think there's no question they will. They can't take the massive hits of poor sales like Sony or Microsoft could . Nintendo is a much smaller company that thrives off strictly its gaming consoles.

The handheld market is slowing down and is only going to get worse. A couple of poor selling major consoles would knock them right out, especially when you consider the massive risks they take trying to figure out and innovate new ways to play that might not pan out.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a possibility is just a fool in denial.

The handheld market is slowing? Really? The DS was one of the best selling systems ever, just behind the PS2 in some areas and ahead of it in others. The 3DS has picked up and is doing very well right now. You do realize pokemon X/Y is coming out soon, so thats another huge handheld surge by itself.

Nintendo going software only is always a possibility, but not a likely one. They would go handheld only before that happened. Not to mention it took sega years of poor decision making and wasting money to get knocked out. So far we have not seen complete and total bad business from Nintendo.

No handheld console will ever sell at the rate the DS did. Those days are over. Smart Phones and Ipods are taking a very large chunk of that market away.

It doesn't have to sell as much as the DS for it to be successful. Hell if every game system had to sell that much then over half of all consoles would be failures.
---
PSN: Azure-Edge
#68xKYSxPosted 2/26/2013 9:28:26 AM
art_of_the_kill posted...
nonexistinghero posted...
Unlike Sony & MS, Nintendo doesn't need to sell 50+ million to make a profit -__-

Based on this statement, you're one of those users.

yep. true true.
---
360 GT & PSN = xKYSx.
#69Xeeh_BitzPosted 2/26/2013 9:29:48 AM
Even the Admins of GameFAQs thinks Nintendo is doomed, hence teh poll
---
KidInTheHall posted "Hell I even overclocked my refrigerator, now it's a freezer."
#70SteelToothPosted 2/26/2013 9:46:04 AM
Considering Nintendo has been around over 100 years and preceded home consoles by over a half century, I have confidence Nintendo will find ways to adapt to emergent technologies in the entertainment media sector, among others.
---
TWSSted Steel Disagree with me? Talk to the Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/ihMBR.jpg