More than 50% of Gfaqs things Nintendo might become software only...

#71SpideyknightPosted 2/26/2013 9:47:42 AM
90% of people are stupid. Even if Nintendo fails miserably with this console cycle they aren't going bankrupt anytime soon. They are doing quite well in the handheld market, and the Wii and DS made money hand over fist. They'll be alright. I won't ever buy a Wii and I likely won't buy a Wii U, but I'm not ignorant enough to think Nintendo is in dire straits. They don't make consoles that appeal to me anymore, and that's ok.
---
For in much wisdom is much grief, and he that increaseth knowledge, increaseth sorrow.
#72Ambassador_KongPosted 2/26/2013 9:56:03 AM
58% of adults believe that videogames lead to violent behavior although there is no evidence to support this conclusion.

46% of Americans believe in Creationism

38% of Americans still believe that Iraq was linked to 9/11

Many Americans believe that Democrats tax and spend while Republicans cut budgets. The opposite is true, the biggest deficits in this country's history are Republicans and the biggest cutters are Democrats.

Many people believe that austerity makes sense in a recession although all economic history proves this to be untrue.

In other words, Americans (and people on this board) believe a lot of things are true that are not. So, if 50% believe something, it is probably wrong.
---
First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win. - Mahatma Gandhi.
#73InfernalDragon5Posted 2/26/2013 10:01:28 AM
What if they developed for the Pc only? Except japanese devs don't know how to do that...
#74AkoaysiGODPosted 2/26/2013 10:03:26 AM
Fou Lu posted...
You're saying Sony, who makes TVs and electronics, owns several movie studios and networks, need to sell 50+ million consoles to make a profit?

Or Microsoft, who owns Windows, need to sell 50+ million consoles to make a profit?

You seem to be forgetting Nintendo is just a game company, while the other 2 have extra income coming from somewhere else. The PS3 alone was sold at a loss at the start, with Sony's TV sales making up for the loss.

Oh, you mean Sony who's been bleeding money for the past 5 years and finally turned a profit this quarter after selling off a division of their company and their NYC office for over a billion dollars? Someone has't been reading the business section recently or ever probably. It's not like they've been relying on PS3, which became profitable 2 years ago, to keep them afloat or anything. Oh wait.

I think Nintendo will downsize a lot before they decide to stop making hardware, if they ever do. Really though, consoles have been dying a slow death for the past few years, Nintendo's not the only one in danger.
---
It may cost your life but that was free.
#75guinness4lifePosted 2/26/2013 10:20:11 AM
Nintendo is not profitable. Look at their financial statements. They can withstand a huge market downturn due to piles of cash, but they're not making money.

Not selling a loss leader was revolutionary, but the fact is it backfired, casuals just aren't going to "upgrade" their wii and it's around par w/current consoles when new ones are about to come out.

I think their handheld market share will remain strong for at least a few years (though tablets will cut into that ore and more), their console hardware is lackluster.

I see them going software. <10 years.
---
i5 3570|MSI Twin Frozr III 7950|24gb RAM|Intel 335 240gb SSD|Hitachi 1 TB HDD|Rosewill Capstone 750w|Cougar Challenger Case
#76R2BDSiPosted 2/26/2013 10:43:44 AM
I have watched Nintendo systems decline with every generation. The Wii was something out of the box, and stop that trend. However the Wii U will likely sell between 20 or 30 miilion units like the Gamecube/N64. Nintendo is like handhelds right now, their going to have their own kind of success. 20 million units would still be profitable for Nintendo, a few 3rd party exclusives, and some first party titles would be alright with them. They have always had a different Philosophy from Microsoft, and Sony. Nintendo is trying to hit the core, and casual audience, but they will fail if they try that.
#77SmokerBoy131Posted 2/26/2013 10:48:54 AM
Make a proft on consoles? Most of the time consoles are sold for less than they cost to make. In 2005 Xbox 360s cost 700$ to make. PS3s cost about 500$ to make around its launch date. Wii was an exception. Nintendo made a profit for every Wii console sold. Same for the Wii U. Wii U costs around 230$ to make.

Regardless, the money console developers make is not supposed to be from console sales, it comes from their own software + the rights and equipment sold to third party developers + gaming accessories + online store + online gaming subscriptions etc. The list goes on.
---
PSN- Smoke131 DOAD - Smoke LOL - Smoke131
#78Gandalf the IstariPosted 2/26/2013 10:55:07 AM
DarkMasterShake posted...
lipnox88 posted...
I think they were missing answers, I think Nintendo still has another generation of consoles after this one, but then things could be different. Sony I dont expect to survive current gen, I dont think microsoft is at all worried.

Lol Sony is definitely gonna outlast Nintendo lets be real here. A company that relies on its sale of video games, that's not selling video games right now. They will br handheld only by 2020, I'm guessing sooner. M$ just gonna throw money at everything as always, with their quantity over quality attitude they have.

Either you're entirely ignorant of the actual state of both companies financials or you're delusional. I'm guessing Sony fanboy.
#79reverence27Posted 2/26/2013 10:56:00 AM
http://bgr.com/2012/11/23/nintendo-wii-u-profit/

Nintendo always profits from the beginning with every console. They have no reason to leave the console market. As much as I loved Xbox, Microsoft will have an even bigger struggle next generation due to loss of almost all support in the 2nd biggest Gaming market. Japan dropped most support (which was slim to begin with) for Xbox 360 halfway through the generation and it is doubtful they will be able to come back from that next generation.

Sony is always struggling profit wise so there is no telling what they will do. Any system could be their undoing or their saving grace.
---
"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies." ~Benjamin Franklin
#80shampoowarriorPosted 2/26/2013 10:56:20 AM
DarkAdonis123 posted...
beetle717 posted...
DarkMasterShake posted...
lipnox88 posted...
I think they were missing answers, I think Nintendo still has another generation of consoles after this one, but then things could be different. Sony I dont expect to survive current gen, I dont think microsoft is at all worried.

Lol Sony is definitely gonna outlast Nintendo lets be real here. A company that relies on its sale of video games, that's not selling video games right now. They will br handheld only by 2020, I'm guessing sooner. M$ just gonna throw money at everything as always, with their quantity over quality attitude they have.

Um you do know Sony is swimming in red ink while Nintendo is turning a profit right?

Look at their last quarter report. They're back in the black. The more you know.

Was that report after they sold their building and laid off something like 20k workers? Just curious, I only keep up with them sparingly.
---
Official Alice of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
http://backloggery.com/shampoowarrior