More than 50% of Gfaqs things Nintendo might become software only...

#81Master368Posted 2/26/2013 11:01:09 AM
The fact this poll even exists says something about the current state of nintendo. They are the next sega. fanboyism cannot hide this.
---
Fool me once, shame on me, fool me twice, I'll collapse your trachea
#82Natureboy99Posted 2/26/2013 11:01:12 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
Even if the majority thinks only for consoles...

But seriously, that's major fail. It just shows the majority of users on this site has no idea about what makes a company run & survive. Unlike Sony & MS, Nintendo doesn't need to sell 50+ million to make a profit -__-

It only took 1 bad console to crash Segas hardware division. Nintendo has a lot in reserves, but they seem to have misstepped with WiiU. I don't think Nintendo will go out of the console business this gen, but 1 more mistake and I think thats it.

Or, they could massive price drop yet again, which would move lots of units but permanently damage their chances of any future early adopters. If Sony comes in at $399 for the base PS4 model Nintendo will HAVE to slash prices.
---
Voted class of 2079 most likely to abuse time travel
#83Sailor GoonPosted 2/26/2013 11:06:47 AM
It seems the point of that poll, and what was said by Cliffy, was lost on TC and the vast majority of you. He was simply saying that with games going the digital and social route, gaming as a whole could shift where there wouldnt be a market for hardware consoles. Sony and Microsoft make more than video games and gaming consoles. If they stopped the hardware market and went purely software, they'd still have their other assets. Whereas Nintendo is PURELY a gaming company. If the market as a whole went that route, then yes Nintendo would be purely software only.
I dont see how so many failed to understand this concept.
---
"The Vita sold six times more than the 3DS so far" - n0matter
XBL: DanGogh78, PSN: DanGogh, NID: DanGogh
#84DiscostewSMPosted 2/26/2013 11:09:55 AM
More than 50% of Gfaqs haven't experienced a console launch before the Wii U.
---
http://lazerlight.x10.mx/ - Lazer Light Studios - Home of the MM2 PTC project
#85imagine606Posted 2/26/2013 11:13:36 AM
^ This seems to be the case.
#86nonexistinghero(Topic Creator)Posted 2/26/2013 11:18:36 AM
SmokerBoy131 posted...
Make a proft on consoles? Most of the time consoles are sold for less than they cost to make. In 2005 Xbox 360s cost 700$ to make. PS3s cost about 500$ to make around its launch date. Wii was an exception. Nintendo made a profit for every Wii console sold. Same for the Wii U. Wii U costs around 230$ to make.

Regardless, the money console developers make is not supposed to be from console sales, it comes from their own software + the rights and equipment sold to third party developers + gaming accessories + online store + online gaming subscriptions etc. The list goes on.

I think you switched the PS3 and 360 around, in terms of costs...

Anyhow, developers having to make a loss on hardware is merely something that MS and Sony enforced. MS didn't make a profit at all on the Xbox and it took a few years before they started turning a profit on the 360. Sony was making losses early on with the PS2 as well and for most of the PS3's life. Anyhow, Sony's consoles have sold A LOT, which is why they can make up with it on software sales. And the same goes for the Xbox 360.

However, Nintendo still manages to turn a profit, no matter how much they sold. So that's obviously not a requirement. I'd say it's smart business to also aim for hardware profit early on or as soon as possible.
---
Read the mania: http://www.fanfiction.net/~nonexistinghero
In SA2, it's Super Sonic and Hyper Shadow.
#87Squall88888Posted 2/26/2013 11:19:13 AM
Well if they do go that route maybe nintendo and squaresoft can collaborate once more and make super mario mmorpg!
---
Current Halo 4 level - SR 118 Tracker
#88bleedingelitePosted 2/26/2013 11:20:46 AM
Meanwhile, the 3ds is outselling every console combined and singlehandedly saving videogames.
#89DynheartPosted 2/26/2013 11:21:08 AM
It's the Nintendo cycle of life.

Hate
Doubt
Denial
the "well, ****" phase.
I guess they aren't doomed after all
Their games suck! Wait until next gen, Nintendo's doomed.

I mean, just like the Red Wings, if you forecast is enough...your bound to get it correct one of these times, right? RIGHT? So far? Nintendo proved them wrong since the NES days, and with the handhelds (remember, those were never supposed to work out).

Nintendo loves games too much (going 3rd party can turn them into Sega....or Rare...I don't think they want this). They will fight until the bitter end. Book it. They have 2-3 more console fails left in them. The Wii U still has 4 3/4 years, maybe 5+ to turn it around. 3 months is hardly indicative of a consoles sales/cycle.
---
Currently playing: Resident Evil 5, NSMBU (4 star Profile)
NNID // XBL: Dynheart
#90ObsidusPosted 2/26/2013 11:21:25 AM
I really, truly wish (and think it would be the most intelligent financial idea in the long run) that Nintendo would drop out of the console business, keep making Gameboy, and then hawk their first party games to other companies. All of their financial issues would go goodbye, and they command enough respect and are lucrative enough that they wouldn't lose huge amounts of freedom either. Really, at this point it's seeming more and more like bald faced obstinacy and ravenous fanboyism that keeps this from sinking in.
---
Cultivating an immunity to rebuttal is not a substitute for being correct.