Wouldn't it be smarter if Nintendo went software only?

#1SexPantherPandaPosted 2/26/2013 12:12:01 PM
Let's face it people love ninetndo characters, could you imagine smash bros going multi platform. New super Mario bros on every system including steam. It seems ninetndo would be worth trillions if they went software only.
#2omniryuPosted 2/26/2013 12:27:34 PM
Not really. They would lose a lot of money. Handheld and console sales, third party license, accessories. You won't get miiverse, you wouldn't get streetpass or as much. Less or no free DLC. Microsoft and Sony will make it hard for Nintendo to develop for their system. Loss a lot of their fan base.
---
PSN ID: Omniryu; Skype: Ryan.cox43
Gamertag: Omniryu
#3RobotPirteGhostPosted 2/26/2013 12:30:44 PM
No. Especially not in the handheld market, which Nintendo has dominated since the days of the Gameboy.
---
RIP City of Heroes and Paragon Studios - Killed by NCsoft.
Not changing this line until Dimitri, Moosh, and Ricky appear in another LOZ game (7/20/09)
#4TheTrueNubPosted 2/26/2013 12:31:12 PM
No.
---
Keep calm and hee-ho
http://i.imgur.com/8JzkT.png
#5XechsPosted 2/26/2013 1:04:43 PM
Nintendo makes a huge chuck of their money from hardware profits and accessories and licenses right now, a ton more then selling just games. Look at MS they are third biggest revenue earner by long shot, Activision can't even touch MS in 4th place. But if you just count their software they are 10th place. Being a hardware manufacturer is huge pie. I think Nintendo yearly earnings only ~30% are actually from games so are you saying nintendo would be better off making $10 billion less every year just to go software only?
---
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
#6Elem187Posted 2/26/2013 1:57:19 PM
Why would it be smarter if Nintendo went software only?

They are the only company targetting the low to mid-range console market.... It would make more sense if Sony went third party since they have a direct competitor in Microsoft.

Why would Nintendo quit a market they completely dominate on their own with ZERO competition?? Heck even when Sony tries to get into Nintendo's market, they get pwned... PSP, Vita, Move.... I rest my case.

With how much money Sony is hemorrhaging, they would be the first console maker to go third party, and THEN Microsoft, before Nintendo would go under. Keep dreaming Sony fangirl.
#7sonicsonicPosted 2/26/2013 1:58:54 PM
You said why it wouldn't be a good idea in your first post...

People love Nintendo characters. You wanna play those games buy a Nintendo console.
#8mjc0961Posted 2/26/2013 1:59:04 PM
omniryu posted...
you wouldn't get streetpass

Because Streetpass was such a valuable and useful feature, right? Wrong, it's the most useless thing to be introduced to a game system since Sony gave the PS3 a video editor.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.
#9thundercat2600Posted 2/26/2013 2:10:41 PM
Nintendo USED TO make money on hardware. Not anymore. Wii U and 3DS are selling at a loss. It'll get even worse when Wii U actually has competition and they're forced to cut the price.

It would definitely make sense for them to go third party, at least for console games. I guarantee NSMBU would've sold at least 10x more on 360/PS3/PC than it did on Wii U.

Nintendo will soon realize that it no longer makes sense to piss money away on their failing console business. I just hope and pray they do it the right way. E.g. canning the Wii U within the next year. Instead, I fear they will keep dumping money down the pit until they're a soulless husk of their former selves. Then they'll probably get bought by Microsoft.
---
they have the PC version of Darksiders 2 running on WiiU in 1080 native at 60 fps and full graphics options on. Neither 360 or PS3 can come close
-darkjedilink
#10mini_blightPosted 2/26/2013 2:41:42 PM
thundercat2600 posted...
Sony USED TO make money on hardware. Not anymore. PS3 and Vita are selling at a loss. It'll get even worse when "PS4" actually has competition and they're forced to cut the price.

It would definitely make sense for them to go third party, at least for console games. I guarantee LBP would've sold at least 10x more on Wii or Wii U than it did on PS3.

Sony will soon realize that it no longer makes sense to piss money away on their failing console business. I just hope and pray they do it the right way. E.g. canning the PS3/Vita within the next year. Instead, I fear they will keep dumping money down the pit until they're a soulless husk of their former selves. Then they'll probably get bought by Microsoft, Apple, Nintendo or some homeless dude, for a dollar.

Fixed for reality, because you need it.