What makes a bad console ?

#1sonicsonicPosted 2/27/2013 1:56:29 PM
Now being an internet forum.. there are a lot of opinions flying around... some logical and credible... others that regret you saying that an opinion can't be wrong.

I was wondering what do the people here think makes a bad console ? Poor games ? Fair enough reason. Poor sales ? b-b-b-but Vita.

I've been playing games for a while and the only consoles that spring to mind when I think of an awful console are the Saturn, Virtual Boy and 360 (Some might be shocked by this, but the original hardware issues were awful...).

The rest of the consoles I've owned have kept me entertained from the Mega Drive too the PS3. There's always been a good selection of games worth playing on the majority of consoles (especially these days). Now what do you think makes a console bad ? And do you think the majority of people who proclaim WiiU/ Vita doom actually think it is bad or have nothing better to do ... ?
#2P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 2/27/2013 1:58:06 PM
A console is bad if it fails to do what it is meant to do correctly.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa
#3wingo84Posted 2/27/2013 2:00:51 PM
P_A_N_D_A_M_A_N posted...
A console is bad if it fails to do what it is meant to do correctly.

Exactly. If it fails to do what was promised then it has let it's consumers down. Sales mean nothing. Look at the Dreamcast! One of the greatest consoles ever.
---
NNID - Wingo84
Currently doing nothing
#4squatch22Posted 2/27/2013 2:02:02 PM
A bad console is 1 that is extremely unreliable and loses its maker many billions of dollars.
---
Dog posted: I know I have bias...
http://img.gamefaqs.net/screens/1/9/b/gfs_75574_2_16.jpg
#5trenkenPosted 2/27/2013 2:03:27 PM
Bad games. Lack of high quality originals. Sounds a little like the U lineup? Factor in it's $300, factor in the economy, factor in it still has Wii in the name, something many people already own. Easy to understand why its not selling well.
---
WiiU | CygnusZero ///// 3DS | 1504-5688-7256
PS3 | CygnusZero
#6Ghost-inZeShellPosted 2/27/2013 2:04:21 PM
DreamCast
#7DynheartPosted 2/27/2013 2:05:14 PM
It's the library. To others? It's the specs. Some prefer something new! If it's the same old concept trudging along? That's a bad console (I know 2 people who stopped gaming after the PS2/GC/XBOX era because of this...even though they were intrigue by the Wii).

The vocal tend to be about specs/graphics, though. They also tend to focus on what's NOT good about a product VS what is good about a product. AKA: Just the cons list.

But when you get down to the nitty gritty? It's the games. That's why we play! Looking good is a bonus. The experience? It's a bonus. The game has to deliver, or else the other 2 are a wash. You may as well say "I'm making a cool game." and not release it, you'll get a more positive vibe.

Games....that is all.
---
Currently playing: Resident Evil 5, NSMBU (4 star Profile)
NNID // XBL: Dynheart
#8ILikesCheesePosted 2/27/2013 2:14:16 PM
1) A console that launches with years old tech, which not only renders it obsolete on launch day, but not even an afterthought a few years later. And then continues to remain on the shelves a few years more until the next console cycle starts. The Wii would have fallen into the category if not for the killer app of motion controls and embracing of casual gaming for "everyone". Note - a poorly integrated and un-useful tablet controller does not a killer app make.

2) Bad games. Too few exclusives by first party, too much garbage by small time developers, and lack of third party support because publishers flock to more powerful systems.

3) Bad advertising.
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#9RomaRangersPosted 2/27/2013 2:35:03 PM
A console is bad if it has:

- Weak third-party support
- internal hardware issues
- is overpriced
-Ugly design

All those things can make for a turrible console
#10Poopcorn13Posted 2/27/2013 2:38:00 PM
A weak game library.
---
You am no real super sand. - Virginia