Just learned about Sony's eshop. And WHY are people complaining about Nintendo?

#1Sharky8Posted 2/28/2013 9:52:38 AM
Please, correct me if I am wrong, but current Sony systems (PS3) require you to pay a subscription fee to play online games? If you don't keep paying your fee, you can no longer play games you previous "purchased" through the Playstation Network. Is this correct?

And, if your Playstation is not connected online you cannot play games you supposedly "purchased."

WOW. Really?

So, I am posting this because I want you to think about it in the context of criticism Nintendo has received for their eshop:

1. Once you purchase a game from Nintendo, you can play it only on that console, and you may not transfer it, ever, unless you upgrade to a new system. Then Nintendo will transfer it for you.
Criticism: You don't really "own" your purchase, because you can't play it whereever you want.
Reality: Yes, but you can still play it without EVER paying a subscription fee for your Wii or Wii U, and if you own a Wii and buy a Wii U, the game will be transferred to your new system and you don't have to repurchase it.

2. If you want increased functionality for your old purchase: playing it on the Wii U gamepad. You must pay a small fee.

Criticism: I already purchased the game, why do I need to pay $1 more to play it on the new system?
Reality: You don't have to pay anything. You may play it on your Wii U for free, without ever paying anything again--ever. You don't have to be connected to the internet to play. You don't have to pay a penny if you don't want to to play it on your tv. But, if you do choose to pay $1, you can also play it on your gamepad.

Nintendo: No subscription fee
Sony: subscription fee

Nintendo: You can always play your downloaded games, always
Sony: You can play them only if pay your subscription fee. If you ever stop, you can't play what you thought you already purchased

Nintendo: You can play eshop games after you've downloaded them even if you're no online
Sony: You must always be connected to the internet
#2meiyukiPosted 2/28/2013 9:55:08 AM
No sony has regular psn which is free, gives you access to the shop, never tried to play a game wihtout internet connection. psn+ is a subscription fee service that gives you some discounts and free games from time to time, psn+ isn't required. I've heard rumors this might change with the ps4 but that's the way it works on the ps3.
#3Shift BreakerPosted 2/28/2013 9:55:44 AM
Playstation + is an optional subscription where they offer lots of full games for both PS3 and Vita, along with other features such as cloud saving. You can still buy those games and more separately and keep them without a subscription.
---
http://www.ps3trophies.com/card/9/Shift_Breaker.png
http://img593.imageshack.us/img593/6091/poonikins.gif
#4Kentaro21Posted 2/28/2013 9:55:51 AM
I don't usually partake of the eShop, but I know it's better than others say.
#5fhsfootball74Posted 2/28/2013 10:00:26 AM
Sharky8 posted...
Please, correct me if I am wrong, but current Sony systems (PS3) require you to pay a subscription fee to play online games? If you don't keep paying your fee, you can no longer play games you previous "purchased" through the Playstation Network. Is this correct?

And, if your Playstation is not connected online you cannot play games you supposedly "purchased."

WOW. Really?

So, I am posting this because I want you to think about it in the context of criticism Nintendo has received for their eshop:

1. Once you purchase a game from Nintendo, you can play it only on that console, and you may not transfer it, ever, unless you upgrade to a new system. Then Nintendo will transfer it for you.
Criticism: You don't really "own" your purchase, because you can't play it whereever you want.
Reality: Yes, but you can still play it without EVER paying a subscription fee for your Wii or Wii U, and if you own a Wii and buy a Wii U, the game will be transferred to your new system and you don't have to repurchase it.

2. If you want increased functionality for your old purchase: playing it on the Wii U gamepad. You must pay a small fee.

Criticism: I already purchased the game, why do I need to pay $1 more to play it on the new system?
Reality: You don't have to pay anything. You may play it on your Wii U for free, without ever paying anything again--ever. You don't have to be connected to the internet to play. You don't have to pay a penny if you don't want to to play it on your tv. But, if you do choose to pay $1, you can also play it on your gamepad.

Sony: You can play them only if pay your subscription fee. If you ever stop, you can't play what you thought you already purchased

Nintendo: You can play eshop games after you've downloaded them even if you're no online

This is severely uneducated. The only games that you must pay a sub fee for is the free games Sony offers as perks for its Playstation Plus program. All other games you purchase are yours to keep for as long as you want.
---
PSN- fhsfootball74 Nintendo Network- returnoftheryan
In SMOD we trust.
#6icarus231Posted 2/28/2013 10:00:55 AM
There was also a post a few weeks back complaining about the wii u not playing cd's and how its so great sony can. Ps4 wont and now its all "who buys cd's anyway". Point is Nintendo and sony could do the exact same thing but Nintendo will always be doing it wrong in some peoples eyes.
#7icarus231Posted 2/28/2013 10:02:01 AM
fhsfootball74 posted...
Sharky8 posted...

WOW. Really?

This is severely uneducated. The only games that you must pay a sub fee for is the free games Sony offers as perks for its Playstation Plus program. All other games you purchase are yours to keep for as long as you want.

As long as you keep your PS3
#8fhsfootball74Posted 2/28/2013 10:02:52 AM
icarus231 posted...
fhsfootball74 posted...
Sharky8 posted...

WOW. Really?

As long as you keep your PS3

Isn't that obvious? lol
---
PSN- fhsfootball74 Nintendo Network- returnoftheryan
In SMOD we trust.
#9mmpepsiPosted 2/28/2013 10:03:26 AM
Your post is completely wrong TC.

Sorry.
#10DTY3Posted 2/28/2013 10:05:07 AM
Sorry TC. Your first sentence was wrong. You could at least go to Wikipedia or something
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.