Rate Wii Mote as video game controller

#1dennis941012Posted 3/1/2013 5:20:24 AM
10/10 for shooters best of its kind
9/10 for racing games
and 7/10 for other types of games for me
---
(>")> <(' ')> <("<)
~GameFAQs LoL Board Supreme Leader~> voted by http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/user.php?=89123
#2GensokyoPosted 3/1/2013 5:30:13 AM(edited)
It can be anything from absolutely perfect to absolutely horrible in the very same game genre. It all depends on the developers.

For example, the controls for MP3:C were incredible, but really bad in The Conduit.
The Wiimote worked great in NSMBWii, and the controls were absolutely perfect in SMG, but it completely ruined the whole game in DKC:R.
#3shlaguedweirPosted 3/1/2013 6:07:02 AM
Motion controls were a big addition to gaming, but not my cup of tea.

Pointer controls are nice and feel natural for shooters, but they're a very annoying menu browsing method.

But the Wii Remote's worst offense by a long shot was to sacrifice ergonomics in favor of a non-threatening iPod-inspired look. WTF is the deal with that button placement!! Even with a nunchuck, you have a grand total of 4 buttons and 1 stick that are well-placed, right under your fingers (compared to 8 buttons, 2 sticks and one d-pad on an ergonomic controller). Motion/pointer control can make up for the missing stick, but there's no way around the lack of buttons.

You want proof that the remote is inappropriate?
-You need waggle even in simple games with few commands like Mario
-The classic controller exists

If Nintendo replaces the big A button with a 4-button cluster on the remote and moves the d-pad over to the nunchuck, then we'll have a respectable, comfortable and versatile combo.

To me, because the inappropriate button placement that forces the use of peripherals, the Wii remote is the worst controller Nintendo ever designed.
#4tizzywilkillyouPosted 3/1/2013 6:11:11 AM
shlaguedweir posted...

Pointer controls are nice and feel natural for shooters, but they're a very annoying menu browsing method.

But the Wii Remote's worst offense by a long shot was to sacrifice ergonomics in favor of a non-threatening iPod-inspired look. WTF is the deal with that button placement!! Even with a nunchuck, you have a grand total of 4 buttons and 1 stick that are well-placed, right under your fingers (compared to 8 buttons, 2 sticks and one d-pad on an ergonomic controller). Motion/pointer control can make up for the missing stick, but there's no way around the lack of buttons.

If Nintendo replaces the big A button with a 4-button cluster on the remote and moves the d-pad over to the nunchuck, then we'll have a respectable, comfortable and versatile combo.

To me, because the inappropriate button placement that forces the use of peripherals, the Wii remote is the worst controller Nintendo ever designed.

Do you have tiny hands? Only the 1 and 2 buttons are ANY issue for me (and not even terrible). Putting the d-pad on the nunchuck along with the stick would obviously ruin the controller's "sideways" usage (e.g. NES virtual console, NSMB, etc) so that's out. The one thing I'll agree with is replacing A with a 4 button cluster. That could work.
#5Tsutarja495Posted 3/1/2013 6:30:41 AM(edited)
Wii Remote + Nunchuk is my favorite Nintendo home console controller because it offers motion controls, something I can't get on my handheld. Games like Skyward Sword and Wii Sports Resort made great use of motion controls in the entire design. Tilt control games like Super Monkey Ball, Mercury Meltdown Revolution, and Marble Mania felt better than if I was using a stick to tilt. The pointer felt much better than dragging a crosshair across the screen with a stick to aim. Finally the "shake to do X" stuff made it so that I could keep my fingers on the same button almost the whole time. I love it.

Wii Remote on it's side ranges from ok to bad for me. It's alright for 2D games like Mario and Kirby, since those play like NES games. But for games like Metroid Other M and Pokepark, moving around in 3D with a D-Pad feels awkward. In these I would have preferred using the Nunchuk for it's analogue stick.

To be honest, I was hoping Nintendo would keep going with it as the main controller instead of moving to something else. The 3DS is everything the DS is but better, I would have liked the Wii U to be like that. I'm glad they are at least using the Wii Remotes as the multiplayer controllers though.
#6Jupiter-Posted 3/1/2013 6:58:34 AM
I'd give it an 8/10 overall. Worked great with most games and I rarely had any problems with mine other than battery life.
#7IloveElitePosted 3/1/2013 7:23:45 AM
8/10 for most games
0/10 for racing games. Need analogue buttons/triggers for them.
#8shlaguedweirPosted 3/1/2013 7:37:52 AM
tizzywilkillyou posted...
shlaguedweir posted...

Do you have tiny hands? Only the 1 and 2 buttons are ANY issue for me (and not even terrible). Putting the d-pad on the nunchuck along with the stick would obviously ruin the controller's "sideways" usage (e.g. NES virtual console, NSMB, etc) so that's out. The one thing I'll agree with is replacing A with a 4 button cluster. That could work.

You have 1 thumb to cover a big A, the tiny + and buttons and the d-pad on a vertical controller and your index for the B button... I say it's better when your thumb is resting in the middle of a 4 button cluster and your index sits in between a button and a trigger. Don't worry about the size of my hands.

The controller's sideways usage is meant to look simple to newcomers while reminding older gamers of the NES days. Your attachment to it is purely emotional. It adds nothing when the other options would give you all the buttons you need and then some, allowing you to get rid of waggle.