The Wii was the absolute worst mistake any gaming company has made in history

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The Wii was the absolute worst mistake any gaming company has made in history
2 years ago#1
I've been thinking for the 100th time as to "where Nintendo went wrong", and there have been a lot areas starting with the N64, but I think the worst where they went over the cliff was the Wii.

This where where I think Nintendo's big screw up was. Where they released a console that was 10x less powerful compared to it's competition and 100% relied on the motion controls gimmick to sale consoles.

The N64 and the GC had some problems (less so for the GC), but at least for the most part they were in live (power wise) with the competition and they were actually relying on good games to sell the console.

And to make matters worse, the gimmick actually worked with the Wii. Yes, this made it even worse, since it created a bubble within Nintendo corporate that that's actually a viable strategy to base your home console business on, so they did it again with the Wii U.

But now they are finding out that bringing out 7 year old hardware with a "new" gimmick and selling it for $350 doesn't work twice. They got lucky with the Wii, and now they are going to pay the price for misreading the success for the Wii so badly.
---
PSN: Fusion916
2 years ago#2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E.T._(Atari_2600)
---
Had a Street Fighter signature for four years, but Crapcom doesn't deserve such recognition anymore.
2 years ago#3
Glad to know you're a seasoned analyst.
---
Henshin-a-go-go baby!
2 years ago#4
Let me get this straight - you're saying that the console that essentially saved Nintendo from dying is the worst mistake any gaming company has ever made, and that commercial disasters like the Virtual Boy, ET, Pac Man (the 2600 version), the N-Gage, the Gizmondo, U-Draw, and financial disasters such as the Saturn, Dreamcast, and PS3 were not?

I think you should re-examine your definition of "worst".
---
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22
2 years ago#5
Enigma149 posted...
Let me get this straight - you're saying that the console that essentially saved Nintendo from dying is the worst mistake any gaming company has ever made, and that commercial disasters like the Virtual Boy, ET, Pac Man (the 2600 version), the N-Gage, the Gizmondo, U-Draw, and financial disasters such as the Saturn, Dreamcast, and PS3 were not?

I think you should re-examine your definition of "worst".

This.
(message deleted)
2 years ago#7
It's probably the worst thing Nintendo ever did for its image as a gamer's company, but there are far worse mishaps in gaming to name than the Wii or Wii U.

For all the crap the Wii gets, at least Nintendo supported it with stellar games, even if they sprinkled crap here and there.
---
XBL GT: roboitoam
2 years ago#8
The Wii was an awful games console. Sure, it sold tens of millions, but it was such a waste of money. My greatest regret, in terms of gaming.
---
Ftw!
2 years ago#9
It sells almost 100 million units and it's a mistake? Also over forty percent of those Wiis are still in use. Gotta love logic.
---
I'm not man enough...to be human.
Nintendo Identification: MathewManson.
2 years ago#10
Enigma149 posted...
financial disasters such as the Saturn, Dreamcast, and PS3

Did you seriously lump the PS3 with the Saturn and Dreamcast?

smh...
  1. Boards
  2. Wii U
  3. The Wii was the absolute worst mistake any gaming company has made in history

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived