The Wii was the absolute worst mistake any gaming company has made in history

#81Traptin3daysPosted 3/5/2013 3:23:38 AM(edited)
Starman49843 posted...
^ That's over the course of SIX YEARS. Holy smokes that's an average of six whole whopping games a year. That might not be so bad if only that number didn't pale in comparison with the number of good games on the other systems during that same six year period.

Again, a good game is subjective. And didn't the ps3 get a game drought? But sure, say that the Wii doesn't have good games because you liked the other console's more. Though it is a subjective opinion, not an objective fact and thus can not be used in as an argument against something.
---
Now let's sacrifice some chickens! :D
#82diggyfreshPosted 3/5/2013 3:21:58 AM
Fusion916 posted...
I've been thinking for the 100th time as to "where Nintendo went wrong", and there have been a lot areas starting with the N64, but I think the worst where they went over the cliff was the Wii.

This where where I think Nintendo's big screw up was. Where they released a console that was 10x less powerful compared to it's competition and 100% relied on the motion controls gimmick to sale consoles.

The N64 and the GC had some problems (less so for the GC), but at least for the most part they were in live (power wise) with the competition and they were actually relying on good games to sell the console.

And to make matters worse, the gimmick actually worked with the Wii. Yes, this made it even worse, since it created a bubble within Nintendo corporate that that's actually a viable strategy to base your home console business on, so they did it again with the Wii U.

But now they are finding out that bringing out 7 year old hardware with a "new" gimmick and selling it for $350 doesn't work twice. They got lucky with the Wii, and now they are going to pay the price for misreading the success for the Wii so badly.

i'm confused? are u saying the wii was a failure, or a success?

if u are arguing nintendo is a victim of success, then i agree with u.

after u win big, it's hard to exceed ur past victory.
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#83R_ChampPosted 3/5/2013 3:22:01 AM
Enigma149 posted...
Let me get this straight - you're saying that the console that essentially saved Nintendo from dying is the worst mistake any gaming company has ever made, and that commercial disasters like the Virtual Boy, ET, Pac Man (the 2600 version), the N-Gage, the Gizmondo, U-Draw, and financial disasters such as the Saturn, Dreamcast, and PS3 were not?

I think you should re-examine your definition of "worst".

Means it beat whatever console he was fanboy to. Given the PSN tag--and ONLY PSN tag--I'd assume he's a Pony. From my experience, most soley Sony dedicated are very angry, very entitled, and very close-minded. Probably because of the amazing PS2 era that degraded to a son-got-spanked era with PS3/Vita.

Not to say anything about games, that's all preference, but when it comes to this stupid, "specs mean everything!" All I can say is: businesses need to make money, and 3DS Vs. Vita is another example where inferior PC specs mean bullcrap against intuitive gameplay. Excuse me, "gimmicky" gameplay...how's PS Move workin' out for ya Fusion?
#84VashXPosted 3/5/2013 6:47:37 AM
Fusion916 posted...
I've been thinking for the 100th time as to "where Nintendo went wrong", and there have been a lot areas starting with the N64, but I think the worst where they went over the cliff was the Wii.

This where where I think Nintendo's big screw up was. Where they released a console that was 10x less powerful compared to it's competition and 100% relied on the motion controls gimmick to sale consoles.

The N64 and the GC had some problems (less so for the GC), but at least for the most part they were in live (power wise) with the competition and they were actually relying on good games to sell the console.

And to make matters worse, the gimmick actually worked with the Wii. Yes, this made it even worse, since it created a bubble within Nintendo corporate that that's actually a viable strategy to base your home console business on, so they did it again with the Wii U.

But now they are finding out that bringing out 7 year old hardware with a "new" gimmick and selling it for $350 doesn't work twice. They got lucky with the Wii, and now they are going to pay the price for misreading the success for the Wii so badly.

I love posts like this when their signature only features a Sony related tag. Totally non-biased opinion! ;)

Lets talk designing a system that is going to be sold at a massive loss while making it incredibly difficult to develop for ;)
---
3DS friend code: 2105-8909-8037
PSN: Gdawgtuk - XBLive: Gdawgtuk & R0ff13
#85sonicsonicPosted 3/5/2013 6:56:45 AM
It seems like the majority of posters in this topic...

Buy games too play consoles instead of...
Buying consoles too play games.
#86jastenPosted 3/5/2013 9:24:36 AM
mini_blight posted...
jasten posted...
Sure, the GC wasn't that succesful commercially, but almost everyone now looks at that console as one of Nintendo's best platforms given the amount of stellar games released for it. The Wii is the exact opposite... the gaming population now look at it as the worst Nintendo console with almost no games worthy of anything but disdain, all despite the massive commercial success.

That's some nice revisionist history you got there.

ElGado posted...
MathewManson posted...
It sells almost 100 million units and it's a mistake? Also over forty percent of those Wiis are still in use. Gotta love logic.

Beanie Babies were popular too long ago. All fads fade though.

Yeah... Remember the Playstation fad?

What revisionist history? The Wii is not held in high regard by most people while the Gamecube actually is. Pity that they two couldn't switch their commercial successes.
---
We are not merely the sum of our parts
#87TerotrousPosted 3/5/2013 9:35:46 AM
Lol at this whole topic. A machine that took a company that had become nearly irrelevant through terrible decisions and put them back on top was the "worst mistake in history"?

Even if you really don't like Nintendo's current direction, clearly the mistake was N64, which started the slight into third-pace that prompted Nintendo to change their strategy.
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery
#88mini_blightPosted 3/5/2013 10:51:54 AM
Starman49843 posted...
^ That's over the course of SIX YEARS. Holy smokes that's an average of six whole whopping games a year. That might not be so bad if only that number didn't pale in comparison with the number of good games on the other systems during that same six year period.

You mean those awesome games that go straight into the hardcore's backlog.

That's how good those games are. lmao
#89mini_blightPosted 3/5/2013 10:56:48 AM
jasten posted...

What revisionist history? The Wii is not held in high regard by most people while the Gamecube actually is. Pity that they two couldn't switch their commercial successes.

Most people? All I see are suckers and people pretending to be Nintendo fans.

The GC is only very recently being held in high regard...by the same people that trashed it when it was new. The only devs that hated the Wii are the ones that also happen to be Sony, MS, PC or Apple fanboys.
#90jastenPosted 3/5/2013 11:43:57 AM
mini_blight posted...
jasten posted...

Most people? All I see are suckers and people pretending to be Nintendo fans.

The GC is only very recently being held in high regard...by the same people that trashed it when it was new. The only devs that hated the Wii are the ones that also happen to be Sony, MS, PC or Apple fanboys.

Ah... i see, you are just mad that the Wii U is starting to tank and that both it and the Wii are proven wastelands for good gaming IPs. I wish the Wii and WiiU had been good systems. I loved every Nintendo system up until the Wii. Now, you can seen Nintendo is stuck in a creative rut and has no idea what to do. Their handhelds are only doing well because of Japan and their console futures look bleak at best.

That isn't being a fanboy of another system... it's telling it like it is. Nintendo is struggling to keep up with the other hardware. And this time, the gimmick is not selling systems. I hope Nintendo pulls their head out of their ass soon.. The world would really be an odd place without a Nintendo console around....
---
We are not merely the sum of our parts