Why did the mario bros games become pretty linear after super mario world?

#1nativeboi85Posted 3/4/2013 5:18:44 PM
super mario world seemed to have the most exploring, most hidden secrets, longest stages, of any mario game to date, why has any game come close to the epicness of world.
---
http://i49.tinypic.com/23te9v.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/2akfbye.jpg I am a hot fat guy!
#2bwburke94Posted 3/4/2013 5:48:44 PM
Um... can you state that more clearly? At the very least, 64 is nowhere close to linear.
---
Systems that block used games are in violation of US and EU laws.
If Micro$oft tries to do it... CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT TIME!
#3Baha05Posted 3/4/2013 5:49:42 PM
Pretty sure most of the NSMB games has the explorations/secret world has minus the map layout (Until NSMB U)
---
"I think there will be a price drop at the latest by E3. I'd even bet my account on it." Icecreamdunwich on the Wii U
#4GiygasminionPosted 3/4/2013 6:28:26 PM
Super Mario 64 and Sunshine were very nonlinear.

But yeah, World is probably the most nonlinear of the 2d games.
---
NN ID: Achilles11
http://backloggery.com/schamman89
#5MathewMansonPosted 3/4/2013 6:31:58 PM
NSMBU has some actually very good hidden secrets required to beat the game 100%.
---
I'm not man enough...to be human.
Nintendo Identification: MathewManson.
#6SlimeSwayzePosted 3/4/2013 9:48:19 PM
I was wondering the same thing while playing NSMBU. And in response to the above posters, Mario 64 and Super Mario Sunshine technically are not "Mario Bros." games.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#7SocranPosted 3/4/2013 10:25:34 PM
MathewManson posted...
NSMBU has some actually very good hidden secrets required to beat the game 100%.

Unfortunately, they weren't nearly as well-designed as the secrets from World. Now, I love NSMBU, but I feel it's important that people understand the difference from SMW that they keep comparing it to. Pretty much every "secret" in NSMBU consisted of finding a hidden pipe, going down/up it, getting a star coin and/or 1-up, and then either returning to the level or taking a secret exit out of the stage. In other words, they were more like individual hidden rooms than the actual alternate paths that World had. And as I pointed out before the game was even released, it was kind of necessary due to the multiplayer-focused nature of the game. You couldn't really split up, so the majority of the game had to be very linear. Hopefully NSLU will be able to break from that rule, but it may remain as a carryover from the main game.

But anyway, yeah, as other people have said, the 3D games were very nonlinear. The straightforward nature of Super Mario Galaxy compared to its predecessors was probably its biggest (possibly only) complaint.
---
Socran's Razor: "Never attribute to massive stupidity by someone else, what could be explained by a tiny bit of stupidity on your own part."
#8IlluminoiusPosted 3/4/2013 10:32:40 PM
Giygasminion posted...
Sunshine were very nonlinear.

you could do the missions in any order, but you had to do the first seven missions of every stage in the game in order to actually make progress
the shine count literally means nothing

the levels are way too small and in too small of a number
#9DTY3Posted 3/4/2013 11:01:11 PM
TC hasnt played NSMBU.
---
Metroid Zero Mission and Super Metroid are some of the finest 2D games ever made and are the best in the series.
Metroid Fusion is pretty cool I guess.
#10DanteSInferno84Posted 3/4/2013 11:07:57 PM
Not entirely sure the TC fully understands the extent of what Linear means.

At best, SMW had... two maybe three (not counting the Star Worlds) alternate paths? The rest wasn't really an "Off the beaten path" route, and overall you would still end up in the same place regaurdless which path you take.

I mean, its alot less Linear than SMW2, no argueing that. But Mario 64 and basically all the Hunt and Find versions of Mario are far form Linear (when you can completely skip areas and still finish the game, you've left linear behind a bit).