If Nintendo had made a powerful system in 7th gen, how well would it have sold?

#11DannyM4nn1223Posted 3/5/2013 5:08:54 PM
MilesTeg420 posted...
They could have released a more powerful console and stuck with Wii Remote+ in every box, so they wouldnt have to make a new controller. Along with the Pro controller thats available now. Wii Sports 2 in every box. I think that would have been a solid plan.

---
Nin ID: XqwazarX34
Former member of the DS clan in Goldeneye wii. Manny
#12FlyinTonitePosted 3/5/2013 5:16:46 PM
I think if they made a powerhouse last gen, they probably would of sold about 20-25 million. Third party support still wouldn't of been there (third party games have traditionally sold poorly on nintendo consoles) so it would of been an hd mario-box. I think they did rather well last gen making their console affordable with a nifty little gimmick. I feel like I'm the only one who wants motion controls in the next zelda, but when the motion controls worked they worked rather well.
---
I'll be a jerk to strangers because this is the internet
i7 3770s @ 3.1ghz, asus gtx 660, gskill ripjaws 8 gb, ASUS|P8B75-V R, ocz 700w psu, 1.5 tb seagate hdd
#13Enigma149Posted 3/5/2013 5:22:30 PM
If they kept the motion control and $250 price, it probably would have done just as well.

On the other hand, if they made it cost about the same as a 360 (or, worse yet, PS3), or made motion control a two-year late, tacked-on feature you have to pay for like their competitors did, it probably wouldn't have done as well.

And, of course, it also depends upon what you mean by "powerful". Are you talking 360-level? PS3-level? Higher? Maybe somewhere between the Wii and 360?
---
3DS: 4897-5935-1924; NNID: CrimsonEnigma; Steam: CrimsonEnigma
''If you think a system will make you look mature, you ain't mature'' -squatch22
#14Tsutarja495(Topic Creator)Posted 3/5/2013 5:26:39 PM
I messed up with the topic. I should have said powerful system with a standard controller, as in similar to the PS3 and Xbox360. No motion control gimmick. The people that say they Wii was a mistake usually say this is what Nintendo should have done.
#15DynheartPosted 3/5/2013 5:30:30 PM
Tsutarja495 posted...
I messed up with the topic. I should have said powerful system with a standard controller, as in similar to the PS3 and Xbox360. No motion control gimmick. The people that say they Wii was a mistake usually say this is what Nintendo should have done.

Their logic is attachment rates. Not only that, but it's the quality! Yea, they think Nintendo would have been better off selling LESS, but with a better quality system..AKA Game Cube. It would look better on their resume I guess?

But since it's the Wii, and it sold more? It's just gimmicky, and that's all.
---
Currently playing: Resident Evil 5, NSMBU (4 star Profile)
NNID // XBL: Dynheart
#16Redjoker777Posted 3/5/2013 5:35:08 PM
Nintendo can't compete directly with MS/Sony, or at least they shouldn't. The other two can make stronger consoles and sell them at a loss, that option really is not viable for nintendo.

People forget that MS/sony are way bigger companies than nintendo with more assets and divisions. If nintendo went with a powerhouse console it would always be weaker than the other two, since they could not possibly compete on a price level.

Rather than throwing themselves into a matchup they would never in a million years win, they decide to diversify. Time will tell if this strategy will continue to work.
---
Loshadt-"There are times when I wish I were capable of hating people to death."
#17MathewMansonPosted 3/5/2013 5:50:13 PM
Redjoker777 posted...
Nintendo can't compete directly with MS/Sony, or at least they shouldn't. The other two can make stronger consoles and sell them at a loss, that option really is not viable for nintendo.

People forget that MS/sony are way bigger companies than nintendo with more assets and divisions. If nintendo went with a powerhouse console it would always be weaker than the other two, since they could not possibly compete on a price level.

Rather than throwing themselves into a matchup they would never in a million years win, they decide to diversify. Time will tell if this strategy will continue to work.

Sony has six billion dollars in debt while Nintendo has none. The N64 was more powerful than the PS1 and the GC was more powerful than the PS2.
---
I'm not man enough...to be human.
Nintendo Identification: MathewManson.
#18Redjoker777Posted 3/5/2013 6:06:33 PM
MathewManson posted...
Redjoker777 posted...

Sony has six billion dollars in debt while Nintendo has none. The N64 was more powerful than the PS1 and the GC was more powerful than the PS2.

Sony should have lots of debt compared to nintendo. Companies have debt, its how they manage it is the real issue. And todays cost in tech, and what the market is willing to pay are very different from back in 1994. Although, I should have specified that nintendo cannot compete directly in the present market. Thanks for catching that.
---
Loshadt-"There are times when I wish I were capable of hating people to death."