Keep in mind that the Wii U is also region locked.

#11_Izanagi_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 3:05:04 PM
Xenesis Xenon posted...
_Falstaff posted...
Typically when talking about imports, particularly imports of JRPG's, I always assume most of them come from Japan, not Europe, hence the name "JRPG." You're talking about one specific game that was translated for countries in Europe. I'm talking about imported JRPG's in general.

You must be new to this.

The large large gap between release dates in the Japan -> America -> Europe means that Europeans (and other PAL users) importing from America to Europe is not that uncommon.

The PS3, DS (not 3DS) for example have absolutely enormous import markets simply because they're not region locked. The other is of course on price.

As an Australian (Who is in a PAL region) I have imported more than half of the games I own simply due to reasons of cost and release date.

Exactly this. There are many people importing from America to Europe and Europe to America.
---
"The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."
#12anon_firePosted 3/7/2013 3:13:21 PM
So, why should I care?
---
NNID: alaz21
#13Wiiplayer111Posted 3/7/2013 3:15:43 PM
And some systems don't do this or that. You either get most of the things you want and miss out on a few or buy zero systems and miss all the things.
---
Look a you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#14_Izanagi_(Topic Creator)Posted 3/7/2013 3:18:43 PM
Or, Nintendo gets a f***ing clue and stops their region lock! How about that?!
---
"The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."
#15InnerscopePosted 3/7/2013 3:20:05 PM
Any reason in particular as to why we have this region lock BS?
---
Crappiest quote of the year:
"kingdom hearts.. i think it would be cool to see some final fantasy characters in that game" -VanilleHopen
#16Wiiplayer111Posted 3/7/2013 3:38:59 PM
Innerscope posted...

When Nintendo started making consoles to other regions it was easier for other companies to make them in those countries. And I forget the rest.

But the way they distributed to other countries region locking just made it easier. And they just havn't dropped it because they've been doing it forever.
---
Look a you.... sticking to the plan.
didyouknowgaming.com
#17ElectricMolePosted 3/7/2013 4:09:14 PM
Innerscope posted...

If your regional Nintendo isn't localizing a game, then they do not want you to play it. At all. They'd rather string you along and leave you hoping and never knowing.
---
NinNetID: ElectricMole, PSN: kronekodow7188
#18rudgerlightPosted 3/7/2013 4:36:19 PM
Region locking exists for a few reasons.

One of them is that without it, people could import titles from overseas and play it on their region's machines. This doesn't sound bad in theory, but when currency exchanges vary as wildly as they do now, it would mean that without region locking, Japanese consumers would import every game possible from the US or Europe because even with shipping the cost would be less due to the current exchange rate.

Actually, that's the main reason. Region locking exists to ensure that sales for software and hardware remain locked to that region's currency, otherwise, savvy shoppers would flock to importing from regions with cheaper currencies, resulting in smaller margins for the game/hardware creators.
#19Tsutarja495Posted 3/7/2013 4:39:52 PM
I barely ever import on the Nintendo systems that are region free, so it doesn't bother me. There's hardly anything that comes to other English speaking regions but not the US.
#20Traptin3daysPosted 3/7/2013 4:47:03 PM
The region lock is one of those things I really dislike about Nintendo console. I need to import Fatal Frame 4 soon and get that English patch X_x
---
Now let's sacrifice some chickens! :D