How do you pronounce "Mario"?

#1OhGoodPosted 3/8/2013 4:05:18 AM
I've always pronounced it Mar-e-o, just like he says in Mario 64 (it's a me! Mario!) But i've heard a lot of people pronounce it Mare-e-o, like The angry Video Game Nerd. I'm also pretty sure they call him Mare-e-o in the mario bros super show.

Anyways, im not asking for the correct way to pronounce his name (its Mar-e-o), im just asking which way you guys say it.
---
Everything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
PSN - Ohgood
#2xXSmash_BrosXxPosted 3/8/2013 4:06:07 AM
Same.
---
NNID: Zmazh9000
#3DeathSoul2000Posted 3/8/2013 4:11:38 AM(edited)
Mah-rio. Why would i pronounce it any different?
#4DarthBadgerPosted 3/8/2013 4:11:38 AM
Most Americans say mah-re-oh.
Most Italians say mah-re-oh.
Mario says mah-re-oh.

I don't understand why anyone would ever call him Mare-ee-oh, unless their name is Mario and it is pronounced that way in their language. Yet, people still do.
---
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble
"Buy a shotgun." - Joe Biden
#5GencoilPosted 3/8/2013 4:16:32 AM(edited)
The Italians say "Mah-rio", the character himself says "Mah-rio" and so does Shigeru Miyamoto, the creator of the character. So that's the one and only correct pronunciation.

When someone says "Mary-oh" it's like listening to someone scraping a chalkboard. You just don't do it.
---
www.klustr.net || Xbox LIVE: Nitesoul || PSN: Gencoil || NNID: Recoil
#6Traptin3daysPosted 3/8/2013 4:16:17 AM
In a Swedish way
---
Now let's sacrifice some chickens! :D
#7OhGood(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2013 4:25:37 AM
I made this topic because i've been watching Pat the NES Punk vidoes on youtube, and he constantly mispronounces his name, its like someone stabbing me in the ear.

Not even 20 seconds into this video he calls him Mary-o.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu2m4AuFNI8&list=PL8202A607D333A3C7

On a side note, they're actually pretty good videos.
---
Everything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
PSN - Ohgood
#8Shadowbird_RHPosted 3/8/2013 4:31:46 AM(edited)
Sadly, not everyone is blessed with intelligence greater than that of the common bread mold spore.
Excluding recognition of the above, I would think that no one would pronounce the name as Mary-o without deliberately attempting to be annoying or amusing.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#9XWolfOPosted 3/8/2013 4:48:39 AM
The way Mario himself says it. It's-a me, Mah-re-oh! Woo-hoo!
---
It's-a me!
#10P_A_N_D_A_M_A_NPosted 3/8/2013 5:12:12 AM
I think people that pronounce it "Mary-Oh" just have an accent. I chalk it up to that. However, there are people who just pronounce things wrong. I was watching some Castlevania gameplay and the guy talking had no real accent, just a tad urban. Anyway, the guy found something called "Soul of Belnades" or whatever. Now most people who have played Castlevania know that it's pronounced "Bell-nah-dess" but he kept saying "Bell-naids". That got on my nerves right there.
---
NNID: Ko-san
Currently Playing: Zelda2, Muramasa