Wii U needs to focus on exclusive, system specific titles. Not ports

#1Cranman1982Posted 3/8/2013 6:16:28 AM
I think the wii's best chance at success will be to take the approach the DS has always taken. Instead of worrying about ports from its big brother system counter parts, the Wii U needs a strong nintendo library followed by spin off titles of popular franchises from 3rd parties.

For instance, if the wii U couldn't handle MGS: Ground Zero perhaps it should seek an exclusive title starring frank jaeger built with the Wii U's specs only in mind. Instead of developers dedicating these huge development teams on these titles like they did with RE 6; they could scale their team sizes for exclusive Wii U title development.

I just think the Wii U will be in the same situation as the Wii this past generation. Unable to receive a lot of 3rd party titles because the specs are so wildly different from its competitors. So the obvious route is to give people a reason to buy your system with exclusive spin off titles.

The DS did it with kingdom hearts, the 3ds is doing with with mirror of fate, and the Vita attempted it with Assassins creed liberation. PSP did it with Metal Gear peace walker.
#2Poopcorn13Posted 3/8/2013 6:32:37 AM
The smaller team, spin-off thing has been done with the Wii. While yes, it seems to work with portables, the ones on the Wii were a bit underwhelming.

What truly stood out weren't ports or small spin-offs, but original games built for Wii system (or sequels built for the Wii, only). The Wii did have a considerable amount exclusive 3rd-party support (which seems to be dying out this gen and next gen) but the games were few and far in-between from each other, buried by quick-buck shovelware. And since so little of them carried the title of "AAA" they were easily ignored.

Obviously Nintendo will deliver with their library. They have to.
---
You am no real super sand. - Virginia
#3blunderminePosted 3/8/2013 6:44:17 AM
Well they've been doing pretty good if you ask me so far.

Lego City
Rayman for a while
Bayonetta
Wonderful 101
Monster Huner
Zombi U

All of those things were 3rd party Nintendo exclusives originally. That's well above average for the first year.
---
So if Nintendo changed the name of the Wii - U, would they be pulling a U-Wii?
#4meiyukiPosted 3/8/2013 9:08:03 AM
Exclusives like say: nsmbU, zombieU, pikmin 3, nintendoland, bayonetta 2, monster hunter, lego city, new zelda, 3d mario, mario kart, yoshi, smash, smt x fe, X, 101, and there's probably more I'm forgetting.

Some first party some 3rd party, and we havn't even seen e3 yet. I feel like with the wii and wiiU people just read what the media tells them believe and don't bother checking the system libraries.
#5DisgaeaNutPosted 3/8/2013 9:10:43 AM
meiyuki posted...
Exclusives like say: nsmbU, zombieU, pikmin 3, nintendoland, bayonetta 2, monster hunter, lego city, new zelda, 3d mario, mario kart, yoshi, smash, smt x fe, X, 101, and there's probably more I'm forgetting.

Some first party some 3rd party, and we havn't even seen e3 yet. I feel like with the wii and wiiU people just read what the media tells them believe and don't bother checking the system libraries.

ZombiU isn't great
NSMBU should be called RSMBU (R for Rehashed)
Nintendoland is a tech demo

Yarn Yoshi doesn't look that appealing, would have preferred something different and I think others would have as well as the Yarn Kirby game made it to discount bins and most other Kirby games go up in value or stay consistent.
#6TerotrousPosted 3/8/2013 9:13:12 AM
Poopcorn13 posted...
What truly stood out weren't ports or small spin-offs, but original games built for Wii system

Eh, some of Wii's spinoffs are really solid. Dawn of Discovery, Shaun White Road Trip, and Skate It are all spinoffs.

The thing with Wii is you do have to know how to look. It's not quite as simple as on PS360 where you just buy a game if it has a 10 million dollar advertising campaign behind it (obviously though this results in you missing some games on those systems as well).
---
http://terosclassicgaming.blogspot.com/ - Watch me beat "GBA Summon Night Swordcraft Story"
http://www.backloggery.com/tero - My backloggery