How much time and resources do you think went into the Wii Vitality Sensor?

#1SlimeSwayzePosted 3/8/2013 11:08:03 PM
How many actual games do you think Nintendo could have had prepared for the Wii U launch if they had spent those resources on game development instead of arguably wasting it on something like the vitality sensor? Two? Three? Five?

For some reason I started thinking about that today and it made me feel kind of sad. Seems like such a waste. I'm sure they had some very talented people working on that stuff when they could have been making games instead.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#2PaladinAlikPosted 3/8/2013 11:10:11 PM
They actually mentioned some neat potential uses like a game like Eternal Darkness that could measure your pulse and adjust Sanity appropriately. Stuff like that sounded awesome, but yeah beyond that didnt see much use for a vitality senser
---
If you believe in Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature.
#3DarthBadgerPosted 3/8/2013 11:11:25 PM
No telling, but that's one of my biggest gripes. I know Nintendo is supposed to be the innovator of game companies but they can't just straight up neglect putting resources towards the actual games (I expect someone to defend Nintendo by posting a list of Wii U games like there isn't a problem with the lineup).
---
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble
"Buy a shotgun." - Joe Biden
#4FFXIgaiaknightPosted 3/8/2013 11:21:14 PM(edited)
probably not as much as you would think TC. Companies are always spending resources designing and building new devices that will probably never see the light of day. All we say with the vitality sensor was just a prototype it doesnt cost that much to design and build a prototype especially if the prototype desont even have to function.
---
Currently Playing: Tomb Raider (PC)
NNI: Gaiaknight
#5darkprince25Posted 3/8/2013 11:21:14 PM
I'd wager that a non-essential amount of time and resources went into the vitality sensor.
You do realize that Nintendo has an R&D (Research and Development) team right?

There's tons of other gizmos, consoles, programs and whatnot they've made that will never see the light of day. The VS is a gizmo that made it out of the lab, and has (seemingly) died.

It's not really a waste of money, (they didn't put it into production) nor time, it's just what R&D does. MS and Sony do the exact same thing.
---
This section left intentionally blank...well it used to be.
#6SlimeSwayze(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 12:58:00 AM
darkprince25 posted...
I'd wager that a non-essential amount of time and resources went into the vitality sensor.

There's tons of other gizmos, consoles, programs and whatnot they've made that will never see the light of day. The VS is a gizmo that made it out of the lab, and has (seemingly) died.

It's not really a waste of money, (they didn't put it into production) nor time, it's just what R&D does. MS and Sony do the exact same thing.

But they dedicated a fairly major portion of an E3 presentation to the sensor...
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#7BonezWellPosted 3/9/2013 2:26:26 AM
SlimeSwayze posted...
darkprince25 posted...

But they dedicated a fairly major portion of an E3 presentation to the sensor...

Point being?
---
Please note: The above post may contain sarcasm.
Please use your senses to determine if this is the case or not.
#8Thunderbird8Posted 3/9/2013 3:28:08 AM
It showed up at an E3 2? years prior to the Wii U launch, then dropped off the radar. I have a feeling it didn't really have any impact on the Wii U at all.
#9YamiYugi4400Posted 3/9/2013 3:36:25 AM
way too much time and resources
---
Exodia - Obliterate!!!
#10FFXIgaiaknightPosted 3/9/2013 3:43:49 AM
YamiYugi4400 posted...
way too much time and resources

doubt it they never actually showed off a working prototype to the public plus companies develop all kinds of stuff that never actually see the light of day.
---
Currently Playing: Tomb Raider (PC)
NNI: Gaiaknight