How much time and resources do you think went into the Wii Vitality Sensor?

#11SlimeSwayze(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 1:14:26 PM
BonezWell posted...
SlimeSwayze posted...
darkprince25 posted...
I'd wager that a non-essential amount of time and resources went into the vitality sensor.
You do realize that Nintendo has an R&D (Research and Development) team right?

There's tons of other gizmos, consoles, programs and whatnot they've made that will never see the light of day. The VS is a gizmo that made it out of the lab, and has (seemingly) died.

It's not really a waste of money, (they didn't put it into production) nor time, it's just what R&D does. MS and Sony do the exact same thing.

But they dedicated a fairly major portion of an E3 presentation to the sensor...

Point being?

The point is that it goes a little beyond simply being what R&D does when you choose to make it a major component of arguably the largest trade show in the industry. They clearly had put quite a lot of time and investment into it and have nothing to show for it at this point.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#12diggyfreshPosted 3/9/2013 2:11:12 PM
This thing actually looks cool. Will it ever become a reality?
---
Currently playing: ZombiU, RE: Revelation, & Xenoblade
#13darkprince25Posted 3/9/2013 5:26:16 PM
SlimeSwayze posted...
The point is that it goes a little beyond simply being what R&D does when you choose to make it a major component of arguably the largest trade show in the industry. They clearly had put quite a lot of time and investment into it and have nothing to show for it at this point.

So what? Do you think that everything at CES comes to market? I ask, because, you know that it too is a trade show, right?

Like I said, the VS is a toy that Nintendo demo'ed and killed due to negative backlash. It never went into production, it's just one of many toys from R&D. I'm sure that Nintendo lost very little on the VS because, when they killed it, they likely had many more gizmos to move on to.

tl;dr
Demo'ing a product and killing it is not indicative of massive losses. Especially, if you're a major corporation who a) didn't put the product into production, and b) have a dedicated R&D team set-up to constantly cook up new gizmos.
---
This section left intentionally blank...well it used to be.
#14JKatarnPosted 3/9/2013 5:56:38 PM
PaladinAlik posted...
They actually mentioned some neat potential uses like a game like Eternal Darkness that could measure your pulse and adjust Sanity appropriately. Stuff like that sounded awesome, but yeah beyond that didnt see much use for a vitality senser

The problem is historically peripherals not included with the base console have had pretty spotty support at best, and their implementation in games has often been a novelty at best (why put much work into integrating peripheral X into your games when maybe only 6% of the console base actually owns it, better to spend that time/money making the base game better).
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#15SlimeSwayze(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 6:52:31 PM
darkprince25 posted...
SlimeSwayze posted...

So what? Do you think that everything at CES comes to market? I ask, because, you know that it too is a trade show, right?

Like I said, the VS is a toy that Nintendo demo'ed and killed due to negative backlash. It never went into production, it's just one of many toys from R&D. I'm sure that Nintendo lost very little on the VS because, when they killed it, they likely had many more gizmos to move on to.

tl;dr
Demo'ing a product and killing it is not indicative of massive losses. Especially, if you're a major corporation who a) didn't put the product into production, and b) have a dedicated R&D team set-up to constantly cook up new gizmos.

I never implied that they took massive losses. I'm saying that the time and money they put into something like that could potentially equate to one or two (maybe more?) actual games, which right now, would be a big deal.

Also, you really seem to be downplaying how odd it was that Nintendo spent so much time talking about the sensor at E3. Have you ever seen another gaming company devote an entire portion of an E3 showing to a device that never got off the ground? It may have happened, but I can't think of it. This isn't some small corner of a massive trade show like CES where some company is showing off experimental tech that everyone knows may not see the light of day. E3 conferences are a massive showcase, and it's definitely not normal for Sony or MS or Nintendo to spend time showing off some little thing their R&D staff worked on that ultimately amounts to nothing. I don't think the comparison is valid at all.
---
Currently Playing: Too many to report.
#16SSJ4CHRISPosted 3/9/2013 6:58:20 PM
More than they put into the inflatable horse peripheral, I hope.
---
Pokemon White FC: 0346 8604 2225 PSN: phayro_rip
People Only Like Obama, that's the motto Romney, P.O.L.O.
#17DemonDog666Posted 3/9/2013 7:34:22 PM
Too much, even if it was 1 guy for an hour that's too much.