Poll: off screen play

#11jpr2000Posted 3/9/2013 2:59:23 AM
By the way, I've got about 30-40 hours of play time between Mario Wii U and COD BO2. I have had a total of about 1 hour of on TV play time, all the rest has been on the gamepad. It is a must have feature for games for me!
#12shaunme(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2013 3:04:28 AM
jpr2000 posted...
I love it, because I can play while my wife still watches TV and I can hang out with her.

this.
---
i72600k @4.6 // ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution // 8gb ram // 3x MSI GTX 680 sli // 1tb HD//W8pro//NNID shaunme1//PSN poselecta//XBL CursiveA//STEAM shaunmelwell//
#13FFXIgaiaknightPosted 3/9/2013 3:08:40 AM
Chocobo115 posted...
I don't own a Wii U (yet). But I wanted to add my thoughts:

I just can't see myself using the off-screen play. But that might be because I live in a single household atm.
So I'm not really interested in it.

i didnt think i would ever use it as much as i do kind of surprises you.
---
Currently Playing: Tomb Raider (PC)
NNI: Gaiaknight
#14mashuPosted 3/9/2013 3:47:33 AM
No use for it / not at all interested in the feature. I have more than one TV and when I play games I want them on a monitor or a TV, unless I'm traveling, which the gamepad cannot do.
#15crowe_1Posted 3/9/2013 4:11:38 AM
jpr2000 posted...
I love it, because I can play while my wife still watches TV and I can hang out with her.

Very much this. It's a useful feature, but not a deal breaker for me. Still, I use it way more than I thought.
---
My SSBM combo vids:
http://www.youtube.com/user/crowe1
#16Shadowbird_RHPosted 3/9/2013 4:19:37 AM
It's a nice feature, but I don't use it much, as I don't have to compete for my bedroom TV. It could be good for playing games that don't demand maximum attention so I could also watch TV while playing games, something I often do with handhelds, but I like the idea of it being used as an additional screen more than as an alternate screen.
---
Surrender and I will destroy you peacefully.
R.E.G.I.S. mk5 - Megas XLR
#17uneedtowakeupPosted 3/9/2013 4:23:54 AM
Meh there is a reason people buy consoles........because they dont want a handheld. Its prob one of the best features of the wii u, but its still a big MEH!
#18phy2jshPosted 3/9/2013 4:33:05 AM
Devs should be encouraged to use the screen for asymmetrical game play, like in nintendo land. This is what differentiates the wii u from other current systems. Otherwise, it's just a standard console which allows you to use a small screen - convenient, but hardly ground breaking.

In my view, the success (or otherwise) of the console is dependent on Devs coming up with innovative, asymmetrical gameplay ideas. These gameplay ideas need to be made compulsory (for a given game) , otherwise they are just gimmicks. Having an optional offscreen mode for every game would inevitably make the asymmetrical gameplay optional.

To clarify, I think it is great to have offscreen play in some games. But I think it would be a massive mistake if Devs feel they must do it in every game.
#19Skill4ReelPosted 3/9/2013 4:38:00 AM
I like the feature a lot, but I don't use it too often as the tv my Wii U is connected to isn't shared by anyone. The second screen for doing extra stuff in game is key though.
#20mjc0961Posted 3/9/2013 6:31:22 AM
phy2jsh posted...
Devs should be encouraged to use the screen for asymmetrical game play, like in nintendo land. This is what differentiates the wii u from other current systems. Otherwise, it's just a standard console which allows you to use a small screen - convenient, but hardly ground breaking.

This. I already have a TV and didn't buy Wii U just to play the games on a smaller screen. Devs should use the controller properly, meaning don't just slap in off-TV play and call it a day, but also don't break the game to force touch screen stuff in there.

Alternatively, if they do decide to go down the "just slap off-TV play in there and call it a day" route, it should be mandatory that they also support the Pro Controller since they aren't actually using the Gamepad for anything.
---
sirtonne posted...
This topic is so stupid I had to slap my wife.